Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP iPAQ 2210 battery useage
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP iPAQ 2210 battery useage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: HP iPAQ 2210 battery useage Reply with quote

Can someone help here please? I bought my 2210 about six or so months ago and it eats battery power even when left off. After about 5 or so days, battery is completely drained and I then have to go through all the set-up procedure again, down to installing user name etc. I purchased a replacement battery and this also discharges at the same rate.

I am in a type of occupation where I use the car one day to go somewhere and I work there for at least a week so I rarely use the PDA daily. My main (only) use of it is to use Tom Tom for navigation.

Is this normal for this model PDA? If not, what are my options?

Further to this I upgraded from TT5 to TT5.21 and I checked the version to confirm the upgrade was accepted. But, after this complete discharge, it reverts to the TT5 version.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, this kind of power consumption is common for the older Windows PDAs. When you "switch them off" they merely go to a standby mode but keep consuming energy.

An chance to use a car charger?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a very fast response. I do use a charger while travelling but as I said, I'm often not in the car for sometimes weeks at a time.

Can you recommend a PDA which would be compatible with my Fortuna clip-on GPS receiver and which would retain it's charge?

Also, is it normal for an upgraded v5.21 to revert to version 5 or am I doing something wrong when upgrading? I assume that the upgrade is to the PDA as opposed to the card. Am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks again
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several suggestions that may help a little..Firstly get Sprite Backup so if your battery goes flat you can restore it to its former state.Second get WisBar Advance .. With this prog you can make sure all your application have shut down and are not running in the background eating up your battery..Now the third one I have not tried but i have been told that by removing the storage card helps to preserve the battery,perhaps someone else may have thought on this.

Dave
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
I have several suggestions that may help a little..Firstly get Sprite Backup so if your battery goes flat you can restore it to its former state.Second get WisBar Advance .. With this prog you can make sure all your application have shut down and are not running in the background eating up your battery..Now the third one I have not tried but i have been told that by removing the storage card helps to preserve the battery,perhaps someone else may have thought on this.

Dave

Sorry I should have made that clearer and said " you can restore the ipaq to its former state".

Dave
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. The problem I would still have though is that the PDA would be useless to me on my onward journey because my sprite back-up would be on my PC at home. I should have added that I frequently travel to one place for a week then on to somewhere else before going home.

Next week I am overseas for about 15 days with no way of keeping the PDA charged.

I've just googled wisbar advance and will take a look at it.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You take the backup file with you saved as an exe file on your storage card .If your battery goes flat and you lose your data pop in your spare charged battery ..tap the exe file and your pda will be restored Smile

Dave
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. thanks for the response again.

Also is there someone here who can answer my specific questions posted earlier:

1. Is the upgrade from v5 to v5.21 saved to the PDA or should it be saved to the card? If the latter, what am I doing wrong in that I am losing the upgraded version every time I lose the PDA's power?

2. Is there a better PDA on the market that holds its charge better than the 2210?

Thanks
monkeyking
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I've just joined and this is my first post (in case you don't recognise the nickname)

Topref, i had the same issues on my 2190 (TTN v5.21) regarding battery drain and i found the answer on other forums so i won't take the credit for this solution:

"If your unit is having problems turning on, you may want to go to Start, Settings, Today and click on the tab that says Items. You will see an option at the bottom that says "Today Timeout". If you take the checkmark out of this box, it should stop the issue from happening. You should not lose any of your information from the soft reset, or from this work around."

run hp protecttools

uncheck lock device (without stopping programs and encrypting data

check log off (stop running programs and encrypt data) after: 1min.

follow encryption process...

As for Navigator 5, when my battery drained itself and i recharged it was always 5.21. This is strange that you revert to an earlier version. Maybe you have the application stored on your SD card and it reads and loads from there. As far as i know, when you update your app, it is to the internal memory but if you have the original TT SD card, it will also have the app on there so it could be loading from the card.

I think the battery drain will stop now because mine has following those instructions and i haven't charged it yet for 2 days.Update TTN5 and it should stay there....Good Luck!
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums..As I am following this topic and still learning could you tell me if you are running the new 2005 operating system as I cannot find the option of the settiings you describe on my 2210 running windows 2003??

Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
Welcome to the forums..As I am following this topic and still learning could you tell me if you are running the new 2005 operating system as I cannot find the option of the settiings you describe on my 2210 running windows 2003??

Dave

Those settings are for WM5.0. They do not apply to the 2210. You say you cannot re-charge for a number of days? Will you really have no access to power at all? If so then perhaps a battery pack would solve your issues? You can buy an external pack that takes AA batteries which you use to top up the charge on your PDA.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input

Darren, I refer to my last posting and the questions posed there. I know you are one of the top guys here at pocketgpsworld and have seen your helpful posts at alt.rec.gps. What are your answers to my two questions? Should I lose the upgrade just because the power drains from my PDA? Surely, it's the software on the card that's upgraded. Also if you were to opt for a replacement PDA, what would be your choice?

I do have access to power but one of these days I'm going to forget to put the PDA away and it'll be nicked from my hotel room.

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topref wrote:
Also is there someone here who can answer my specific questions posted earlier:

1. Is the upgrade from v5 to v5.21 saved to the PDA or should it be saved to the card? If the latter, what am I doing wrong in that I am losing the upgraded version every time I lose the PDA's power?

Although the install is on the card, it installs to main memory. The update updates this installation so when power expires the installation is wiped. Re-installing from the card effectively replaces it with the version on the card. To avoid this you need to replace the installers on the card (normally in Autorun) with their updated versions.
Quote:
2. Is there a better PDA on the market that holds its charge better than the 2210

The newwer WM5.0 PDAs use persistent storage so do not wipe their memory when power fails. If it loses power all that is needed is a re-charge and it will be as it was before.
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren.
monkeyking
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
oddsock wrote:

Dave

Those settings are for WM5.0. They do not apply to the 2210. You say you cannot re-charge for a number of days? Will you really have no access to power at all? If so then perhaps a battery pack would solve your issues? You can buy an external pack that takes AA batteries which you use to top up the charge on your PDA.

...Ooops! Embarassed Sorry about that, am new to the PDA world! Maybe there should be a "my first pda" available, hmmmm...i spot a niche in the market!!! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: