Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using TomTom wired GPS unit with Navman s/w
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using TomTom wired GPS unit with Navman s/w

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GIS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Using TomTom wired GPS unit with Navman s/w Reply with quote

OK - I've probably grown over-reliant on my trust TomTom, and I like to have it when driving on holiday. Now, you can get TomTom maps for Europe easily enough, and also for North America, but this time I'm venturing further afield to New Zealand.

Currently TomTom only offers Australian maps for that part of the world, so I looked elsewhere and discovered Navman offer SmartST 2005 with NZ maps (Memory-Map is to have a Street Map offering by the end of March - too late for me).

Fair enough, I'll swallow the cost (£99 from the Navman site http://www.navmanstores.com/eu/product_details.php?id=286 - seems to be the only place I can get it). However, I need a GPS receiver. Currently I have the HP iPaq rz1710 Navigation Pack, which I have upgraded to TomTom 5.2x. Of course this comes with a wired GPS which plugs into the cradle rather than the PDA itself.

My question is, can I use this TomTom wired GPS unit with the Navman software, or do I need to go out and get anther GPS unit (like the Globalsat SD-502)?

PS - I know NZ isn't that hard to navigate in - been there before, but I enjoy the security of SatNav.
GIS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Worked with Memory-Map! Reply with quote

It appears it might work. I just downloaded a trial copy of Memory-Map and for the GPS device I selected:

Manufacturer - 'NMEA'
Port - Com1: S2410 COM1
Baud: 4800

It worked straight away!
GIS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, Navman SmartST-2005 does work with the GPS and cradle hardware provided with the HP Navigation Pack. It'll be interesting to compare the products.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: