Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MIO A201 backup before installing Tomtom ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MIO A201 backup before installing Tomtom ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: MIO A201 backup before installing Tomtom ? Reply with quote

Hi all
I can't seem to find any program to backup files b Smile efore any changes with TT...
how does one do that please ?
Thanks a lot
Smile
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil99
It always pays dividends if you let us all know what equipment you use, GPS receiver etc. If we know your set-up it makes solving the problem or answering the question easier. Anyway, I myself use a small program called Sprite Backup, its brilliant. It only costs a few quid too.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been waiting far too long for the aclaimed Sprite to get their act together with WM5 compatability. I use backup manager. Backs up to a self extracting compressed file (~5:1 ratio) on the storage card. Worse case senario, forced hard reset of the PDA=everything lost, tap on the backup file everything restored no PC involved. Testing the 14 day demo. Full price just $14.95
http://www.sunnysoft.com/en_clanek.php?clanekid=51
bobtown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil99

The MIO168 has a program called Ebackup. I think the 201 has a similar program but will only take an image of the whole device. Do not know if it is reliable though.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mullet
I’m surprised that you haven’t had much joy with Sprite Backup. It is supposed to be the leader in its particular field and in my experience its next to perfect. From a hard reset all can be restored to the settings that one was using at the point of the Backup. Bluetooth settings, Icons and programs are all restored easily and flawlessly. I have TT5 running but can go back to TT3 just by a simple restore. At the moment I think that it sells for about £16.00. I haven't tried the backup programe that you use so I cant realy comment.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
Hi Mullet
I’m surprised that you haven’t had much joy with Sprite Backup. It is supposed to be the leader in its particular field and in my experience its next to perfect. From a hard reset all can be restored to the settings that one was using at the point of the Backup. Bluetooth settings, Icons and programs are all restored easily and flawlessly. I have TT5 running but can go back to TT3 just by a simple restore. At the moment I think that it sells for about £16.00. I haven't tried the backup programe that you use so I cant realy comment.

Iv'e been watching Sprite's site for a couple of months, which still clearly states "Please Note - Windows Mobile 2005 devices cannot use Sprite Backup!". I tested the demo regardless and unsuprisingly the program will not run. Both programs seem to have the same features, even similar screen shots so I think it would be a flip of the coin to decide between the two. It was only non WM5 support that guided me to Backup Manager, not to mention 1/2 the cost of Sprite. :D

http://www.spritesoftware.com/main/pocket_pc.htm
http://www.sunnysoft.com/en_clanek.php?clanekid=51

You also mention a very interesting point re:changing between TT5 and TT3. Its clear one could create two entirely different profiles of applications etc and switch between the two via the backup function.

I'm currently testing various registry tweaks/hacks and softwares in the safe knowledge that if I trash the ROM everything will be fine again after a restore.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mullet
My apologies, I somehow missed the obvious point that you were using Windows Mobile 2005. I have never used it so can make no comment. I use a 2210 and run Windows 2003 and as I have already said, Sprite works brilliantly with my set-up.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
...I somehow missed the....

Easy to do Trevor, happens to me all too often.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: