Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman 520 Map problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman 520 Map problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenspot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Navman 520 Map problems Reply with quote

Got a 520 in November and been testing in in my local area to see how well it worked.

On several occasions it has tried to route me down roads which are impassable by car. One was under a railway bridge which has been pedestrian only for at least 20 years. Another was a rat run blocked by the local council at least 10 years ago. The last is an unmade road which is blocked by iron bars and has bee so for as long as I remember (and I'm an old git).

Anyone else having problems or am I just unlucky?

Pete
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you are not alone. Unfortunately, Navman are only able to work with the data provided by TeleAtlas. Until TA update their data, or Navman buy new data (assuming it's available), things will not change.

However, there is a workaround. One of the current advantages Navman holds over TomTom (and TomTom users want it back, from what I've read), is the ability to define your own 'Avoid' areas. These are held in a file so don't need redefining every time you use your device.

Read pages 55 and 56 of your Manual to find out how to use this feature.
greenspot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Tim.

Have already set 'avoid area' on all three after I had reset my preferences to avoid unmade roads and was still directed along the unmade road in my original post.

I think that maps which are 10, 20 or more years out of date are unacceptable. I have checked 2 of the faults in an old (paper) A to Z. Both restrictions are shown.

Pete
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me where they are; I will check in the latest offering I have from TA and NAVTEQ.
greenspot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim

How do you want the info? Just Latitude & longtidude or do you need more info?

I have a list in Excel which I have already sent to Navman who asked for details to send to TeleAtlas. Am waiting for reply from them.

Pete
imlost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim

I've also noticed more than a few things that aren't right. The most annoying bieng the Navman trying to take me off Oldham Way and onto Ashton Road, in oldham by doing a right turn when I am over a roundabout underneath Oldham way. There is somethig seriously wrong with the mapping/data here, as it never gets this area right, despite the map looking ok on the screen.

Otherwise the ICN520 is great and i love it.

Geoff.
Jabbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imlost wrote:
Tim

I've also noticed more than a few things that aren't right. The most annoying bieng the Navman trying to take me off Oldham Way and onto Ashton Road, in oldham by doing a right turn when I am over a roundabout underneath Oldham way. There is somethig seriously wrong with the mapping/data here, as it never gets this area right, despite the map looking ok on the screen.

Otherwise the ICN520 is great and i love it.

Geoff.

I use use the Oldham Way route every night and I don't have any problem like that, but I'm not trying to come off at that roundabout where abouts are you heading to? perhaps I could try it and see what happens. I have the 510 with 2005 software?

Jabbers
imlost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jabbers.

I'm travel over it most nigths too.

I paid a little more attention last night. The map actually shows the correct route in red, however, when i'm over the roundabout not on it, (with Mecca bingo & pennine way hotel to my left) the navman asks me to turn Right. However the next turn indicator is still showing mumps as my next turn well before the voice says turn right.

Seems like the problem is more with the voice directions rather than the mapping.

Geoff
imlost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot to say, heading for Greenacres from Bolton, via A627M. So on Oldham way at Tesco roundabout and off at Mumps.

Geoff
Jabbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geof

I'll set my destination for Greenacres Road and jump on Oldham way at at the end of 627M roundabout and see what happens. and get back to this thread.

Jabbers
imlost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Ill look forward to hearing the outcome.

I had my first instance of my ICN520 taking me down a 20mph zone with speedbumps only to find after 1/4 a mile its a cul-de-sac (Steel street in Warrington). Grrrrr

I know it is because the maps are inaccurate (in this instance the end of the road appeared to have been closed for some time). And to a certain point I can understand this, however, if someone bought a car and it kept breaking down and the garage said, "well you see we don't actually make the engines we just install them!" I think I could understand what people's response would be.

There’s a more sinister point here, the road has been set to a 20mph road and closed off for a reason and my (and other users) sat nav units will contribute to an increase in traffic, not sure if anyone has given much thought that.

Still love it tho’

Geoff
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All:

Just for info I have noticed similar routing and mapping problems with my 520 here in the Telford area. Yesterday I drove over the same routes in a car with a brand new Tom Tom Go 300. It displayed exactly the same issues. On a long trip from Telford to Sunderland the GO also displayed several more errors including mispoken directions and incorrect mappings of round abouts. I think this proves that since both these units use Teleatlas mapping that is where most, if not all of these problems lie. As an aside the only thing I liked about the Go was the speaker volume. We used the traffic feature frequently but It gave me the distinct impression it then routed via the problem areas (Laughing Out Loud). Seriously though I think the algorithm works on too small a scale so rather than planning a sensible route to avoid the problems it made local diversions for each problem and the resultant route became very messy.

Terry Walsh
greenspot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad its not just me having problems then.

Tim checked 5 problems I had against TomTom. They seem about as bad as one another.

The original one I found was off the A6 in Hazel Grove, Stockport. I was routed into Mill Lane which goes under a railway bridge but has been closed to traffic for about 20 years.

Pete
Jabbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi imlost,

I haven't done the route yet! but looking at the map of the roundabout at the Pennine Way hotel, it actually looks like a roundabout without the flyover. So I would assume it might be treating it as straight on or telling you to keep right as you go up the slip road to get back on to Oldham way. out of curiousity does it do it on your return journey?

by the way my maps are not the latest versions only the icn software is 2005

Jabbers
imlost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jabbers

Ill check the maps of the pennine way roundabout later. It dosen't ask me to turn left on the return journey.

I had an instance once when coming up ashton road to the same roundabout where instad of taking me onto Oldham way using the 3rd exit of the roundabout it took me through Oldham town centre and onto the bypass at the next junction.

Ta

Geoff

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: