Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New POI on the 520 not showing up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New POI on the 520 not showing up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airmed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: New POI on the 520 not showing up Reply with quote

This morning I downloaded the Morrisons POI from the Navman sight onto my 520. It's in the Active POI, all the boxes are ticked, & I have set the distance to 0.25 miles & saved the lot. So I take a trip to my local store, pull into the car park and...nothing. So whats suposed to happen? I asumed I would get some sort of audio & visual warning (their logo?)
I'm wondering if any of the other active POI's I have loaded are going to work.

The only thing I am wondering is how up to date is the down load is as Morrisons took over Safeway which the store used to be. Has anyone had it work for a recent takeover or am I doing something wrong. I followed to the letter the steps in the handbook & it looked OK on the PC.

Any clues? Confused
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New POI on the 520 not showing up Reply with quote

airmed wrote:
This morning I downloaded the Morrisons POI from the Navman sight onto my 520. It's in the Active POI, all the boxes are ticked, & I have set the distance to 0.25 miles & saved the lot. So I take a trip to my local store, pull into the car park and...nothing. So whats suposed to happen? I asumed I would get some sort of audio & visual warning (their logo?)
I'm wondering if any of the other active POI's I have loaded are going to work.

The only thing I am wondering is how up to date is the down load is as Morrisons took over Safeway which the store used to be. Has anyone had it work for a recent takeover or am I doing something wrong. I followed to the letter the steps in the handbook & it looked OK on the PC.

Any clues? Confused

I guess that you will not get an audible or visual warning - you should have an icon on the screen for your destination if you have loaded the bitmap file for the 'Morrisons' stores, similar to the pre-loaded POIs such as petrol stations, banks, etc which show up when you get near them or navigate to them. If you want an audible warning (why?) then you would have to create and install it. Wink
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for your further information, Airmed, I have just looked at the Morrisons POIs and they do include the old Safeway stores. The download (from getoutguide), not Navman, does have a Morrisons store icon included as bitmap file which you should have used when loading them. If you identify the coordinates of the store (press the point of your Navman's stylus on the Navman screen and the coordinates will be displayed) Make sure they are displayed in decimal (Main Menu > Settings >More settings > Measurements > Decimal Degreees). Note down the coordinates then look at the downloaded POIs for Morrisons and find the same (or close) coordinate in the list. That will at least tell you that your store is listed. Exclamation Idea
airmed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee, sorry I did get the download from getoutguide, thought it was Navman as that is what it's got in the top left hand corner. Still not sure whats going on as coincidentally I drove past a Tesco last night. I have that POI in the unit and, bingo an audible ping and a warning at the bottom of the screen appeared and even a countdown in feet to the store. But no Tesco logo showed, just an odd symbol like a propeller in a circle replacing the triangle. So the unit seems to work but only half cock. Thanks anyway.
hellebore
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still having fun getting POI installed. Your propellor is the default logo if you do not select one of your own. Asentioned above you should have one in the doenload file you got 0 a *.bmp file.
Good luck!
airmed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck. Went past the Morrison store again today & nothing. I have checked in the Safety Alerts - Actve POI & everything appears to be there. I have checked on my PC & the logos are there along with the store locations so I asume it was all uploaded to the Navman POI.

I have absolutly no idea what the problem is. Angry
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airmed wrote:
No luck. Went past the Morrison store again today & nothing. I have checked in the Safety Alerts - Actve POI & everything appears to be there. I have checked on my PC & the logos are there along with the store locations so I asume it was all uploaded to the Navman POI.

I have absolutly no idea what the problem is. Angry

Mmmm. The fact that the icon for Tescos is not there - you only have the default icon, leads me to suspect that the bmp icons for Morrisons have not been installed or the installation is faulty. Could you go back and reinstall the Morrisons bmp files in the exact way as described in the installation guidelines, as follows and described here:(http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-navman.php)

Quote:
6. Now tick ACTIVE, VISUAL ALERT, IMPERIAL, 150, Increase the POI Visibility and also point to the BMP file you extracted earlier from the ZIP file, e.g. C:\Temp\pocketgps_uk_gatso.bmp

etc.....
Quote:

airmed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee,

I've gone back and checked and the file I saved the download to on the PC (a Temp) has the BMP in MGI photosuite4 which is the icon. If I click on that it comes up 'Unknown file format' & the same if I click on the Text Document which is in Notepad. Clicking on the excel bit gets me down to the POI Option window (should the visability slider be min or max& do I have to click & enter each part seperatly?) Do I have to change something on the computer for the BMP?
Question
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airmed wrote:
Gee-Pee,

I've gone back and checked and the file I saved the download to on the PC (a Temp) has the BMP in MGI photosuite4 which is the icon. If I click on that it comes up 'Unknown file format' & the same if I click on the Text Document which is in Notepad. Clicking on the excel bit gets me down to the POI Option window (should the visability slider be min or max& do I have to click & enter each part seperatly?) Do I have to change something on the computer for the BMP?
Question

Confirm that you have downloaded the Morrisons.zip files from the web to somewhere on your computer; when you extract the files from the zip, you should have saved three files to a Temp file on your computer - the three files are, Morrisons.bmp; the POIs themselves (the Text document) and the ('Read me' file') also a text document.
Don't use a picture programme to open the bitmap file just save it to your desktop (and if you want to check it, use Windows Picture and Fax viewer..sometimes a picture programme such as photosuite will change the file extension).
Set the slider to the third quarter (3/4) to the right as suggested in the instructions.
I don't follow why you are using exel? I do I misunderstand?
airmed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded the files to Local Disc -Temp file & extracted them. When it does so I have the three files as you say but the Morrisons.bmp defaults to MGIphotosuite4, the text document (POI's)is Microsoft Office Excel Comma Seperated Values File (?) & there is the read-me file. I don't know why it opens this way; it just does. I have saved the Morrisons.bmp to desktop but it is still in MGI. Any clues?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airmed wrote:
I have downloaded the files to Local Disc -Temp file & extracted them. When it does so I have the three files as you say but the Morrisons.bmp defaults to MGIphotosuite4, the text document (POI's)is Microsoft Office Excel Comma Seperated Values File (?) & there is the read-me file. I don't know why it opens this way; it just does. I have saved the Morrisons.bmp to desktop but it is still in MGI. Any clues?

First, would you like to continue this via PM? Might save time.

What operating system have you got?

What Unzipping programme are you using - if it is WinZip or similar, you can right click on the file to be extracted and choose the destination. ie Notepad for the Text files and (say) Paint for the bmp file.

Does your MGI Photosuite allow you to change the file type? ie Save As and then choose bmp. Then you could save it to your desktop before loading it on your Navman.

Graham
airmed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, might be easier, how do we go about PM as new to all this?

In answer to your questions:

Windows XP, Winzip & yes MGIPhotosuite does allow me to change file type but now I'm in the realms of the unkown. The default is windows bitmap. Others are JPEG Image, portable network graphic? sun raster??? plus a number of others.

Slightly out of my depth now - not brilliant at computers....

Bruce
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: New POI on the 520 not showing up Reply with quote

I discovered today that SmartSt 2005 (at least in my case) is putting the POI files in the wrong locations! I had downloaded several POI files which were not showing up - using Explore on Activesync, I was able to see the files sitting loose - they had not been put into the MyPOI folder in the Storage Card folder...

I copied them in manually and all is now well. I discovered in the process that the November and Decemper camera updates had not been applied and the new files overwrote those from October:-)

Froggy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the bottom of each posting there are a group of Icons. Click on PM of the person you want to contact and a page will open. (A bit like email)

Just say what you require and send. Note. The PM sits in the Outbox until the recipient picks the message up.

When you Login next time, look at the top of the page to see if you have a new message.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airmed wrote:
Yeah, might be easier, how do we go about PM as new to all this?

In answer to your questions:

Windows XP, Winzip & yes MGIPhotosuite does allow me to change file type but now I'm in the realms of the unkown. The default is windows bitmap. Others are JPEG Image, portable network graphic? sun raster??? plus a number of others.

Slightly out of my depth now - not brilliant at computers....

Bruce

Bruce

See the PM at the bottom of this page? You can send me a message from there..

At the top of this Forum you will see after the word 'Profile' , 'Messages'. It should say one new message as I have sent you one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: