Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps refuse to load. Help Please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps refuse to load. Help Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Maps refuse to load. Help Please Reply with quote

I recently upgraded from an XDA2 to an XDA Exec and changing from Navigator 3 to 5 at the same time. I've encountered numerous problems but searching around the forums have got me to a certain point but now I'm stuck. Please Help.

Because the XDA Exec is WM2005, I was unable to use the disc supplied but have downloaded 5.21 from the TomTom website. When I tried loading the maps, I stumbled but thanks to the forums I was able to push on when I had the "Not Enough Free Space" error. This is when it all came to a halt. By deleting the icon in the temp folder, the maps seem to start OK. I select UK Maps through the automated process etc but before I can load them up I get the error message about sending a report to Microsoft. I've read somewhere that you can just copy the maps but I'm not sure which bits to copy / paste to my SD card. I did try one UK Map for 101MB but the PDA is still showing "Can't Find Maps"

Incidently, I've got this far and still haven't had to put in the TomTom Code.

Please tell me where I'm going wrong. Many thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is to use a card reader, format the card to wipe it then install the gb map, if its only a 128mb card then don't try using the plus maps as they won't fit. to load via card reader choose the advanced option and point the TT installer to the card reader - mike
Stuie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

thanks for that, you've been a fantastic help. I'm a lot further along now but I'm just not quite there. I can't get the Holux BT GPS to be recognised by the XDA Exec. I've paired them both and after checking a previous post - unchecked the incoming beams. I've tried the "Other Bluetooth GPS" and "Other NMEA GPS" using Comm 6 and the small circle in the top right of the GPS page refuses to spin.

I know I'm close but was wondering if you could help me out with this and I'll try not to hassle you guys again until Navigator 6 and the sure sign it won't load properly and easily. Many thanks, Stu.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the bt manager go to comports and set anew outgoing comport to com 0 the start tomtom up ang gp to the gps setup page then select other bt gps and select com0

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Stuie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Alix, that all makes sense now. The Holux BT GPS receiver has a blue flashing light on top which flashes rapidly until it has a BT connection. Now when I turn on TT, this flash slows indicating the tie up but I'm still not getting any response on the GPS page and the green / yellow disc still refuses to spin. I've selected "Other BT GPS" and selected Comm 0 but still nothing. Any ideas? Many thanks.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have the lastest rom or the original rom on the exec

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which GPS unit is it? if its a 236 does the red/ amber LED flash? if not take it all outside and wait also was the GPS unit supplied with any software for the PDA (GPS Viewer for example) if it did do you get any GPS data using this - Mike
Stuie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Guys, the Rom Version is 1.13.82 WWE. I'd be really cheesed if this wasn't the latest version as I pretty much screwed up my old XDA loading a new ROM together with BT tools. The GPS is the Holux GR-231 which locks on to satellites as it still works with my old XDA. You are right in that the GPS software that came with the Holux only worked with the old XDA once I had BT tools but isn't working on this one but then again, I have this one on Comm 0 whilst the GPS software shows Comm Ports 1 to 10. Hope that makes sense....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea try assigning the com port in the BT manager for the GPS unit to Com port 4 - I had some fun with the Exec and found this to work - before this though do you get an option in TT GPS setup to select Com0 using Alex's settings? try the drop down arrow on the selection page to view more avail ports, or try the same thing in portrait mode it gives you a larger viewable area in terms of selections - Mike
Stuie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've changed it now to Comm 4 and the original GPS (not TomTom) software now recognises it and shows a satellite fix but still TomTom refuses to find it. One thing, where it used to say "No GPS Device" it now says the words "flight mode" as well even though BT is turned on. Could this be something to do with it? Cheers in advance.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: