Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin V4 Map and Software Errors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin V4 Map and Software Errors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DenisW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: ViaMichelin V4 Map and Software Errors Reply with quote

After finally committing to the V4.3 upgrade in an effort to eliminate some of the 3.2 software errors I receive and installed the product yesterday. During first use the following errors where discovered:

Post code LA12 contains duplicated LA11 Data and will not find street "Bracken Grove" previously within LA12 0.
Post code S11 no longer exists in the database and prevents the finding of streets in this area.
Postcode NE28 area around "Longbenton" map detail does not include street names preventing any street being located in this area.
These errors exist in both Mapstore and on the PDA.

Any attempt to use quickinstall reports "An Error has occurred during Installation .... Reinstall" after numerous re-installations the Error continues to be reported.

These errors where found after less than an hours use and has resulted in my total lack of confidence in the rest of the map data. I frequently travel the UK on business and rely on the route finder locating businesses using the post code and street name. This new version of the software has lost this functionality at a time when TomTom and others have produced a product that allows full postcode search facilities. This short sighted approach by ViaMichelin I find appalling; three digit postcode searches do not work in the UK , there are too many repeats of street names within each area.

Each installation is carried out after first uninstalling the previous installation including initially un-installing Ver. 3.2 and ensuring the PDA is connected through activesync.

The result of all of the above I have found version 4.3 of the software un-usable and not fit for purpose. As a result I have sent a similarly worded e-mail to ViaMichelin and will be re-packaging the product and returning it to them and will expect a full refund on the upgrade.

I am extremely disappointed in the quality of the supplied product and will be reverting initially to v3.2 but will now consider changing to the TomTom product as their product would appear to be far more stable and Bug Free.
Crying or Very sad
ViaMitchelin 4.3
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt the same about the version 3 upgrade and reverted to 2.5. Version 3 removed some functionality and did not introduce anything significantly new for me.

It seems from the available information on this forum that version 4 follows a similar pattern. At least version 3 was free !

When I feel that 2.5 is too far out-of-date (I can’t get map updates now because of the non-backwards-compatibility of the new maps) and I decide to upgrade, then instead of paying €149 for a doubtful ViaMichelin, I think I’ll prefer to pay €199 for TomTom.

I’m sure we’ll all be very interested in the result of your “not fit for purpose” claim against Michelin. Please keep us informed.
DenisW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: ViaMichelin V4 Map and Software Errors Reply with quote

Update from previous.
I have been back to the viamichelin website and have noted the cd should have came with an SD Card which it didn't.
The also have a 90 day returns policy for defective products, which this clearly is.
I have requested a Returns Reference Number to allow me to return the software.

I will keep you informed of any progress.

Denis
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy a single country edition or the whole of Europe?

All of Europe does not come on an SD card. So just checking as you didn't say.
DenisW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did buy the UK only version which does come with a 128Mb SD Card.
I also discovered late yesterday the package did come with this SD card, I rescued it from the bin hidden deep at the bottom of the padded bag the software was posted in.

So I owe Michelin an apology on that score, however the SD version of the program exhibits the same omissions as the CD.

This blows my other theory that I had an incomplete database through a corrupted disk installation, this is not the case the software really is that bad.

Why would they remove street names from V3.2 when they upgraded to version 4.3 it just doesn’t make sense?

Denis
Rmonre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: ViaMichelin 4.2 Map/Postcode Errors Reply with quote

I have also found problems using the postcode search in Via Michelin 4.2. This worked ok in v3 previously. My problem is that if I enter my home postcode B98 it tells me that this is the town of Bromsgrove which is approx. 12 miles from where I live! If I then search for my street it doesn't find it. I can do a search using town and then street and this finds my home ok. I have encountered a similar problem with my work location. In version 3 I was able to successfully find my home and work address using the postcode search function. As with other users of this software I have found that this tends to dent your confidence in the package. I contacted VM by e-mail before Christmas and yesterday received what seems to be their stock reply and they have passed it on to the relevant team to look at.

Luckily I don't use postcode searches that much but it's rather annoying that a feature such as this doesn't work especially as it cost 99 euros for what seems to be a step backwards from the previous version.

On the plus side, I like having the history function to select one of your last 10 destinations. The jury is still out on the avoid/bypass function as it seems that you can't tell the system to avoid a road until you're actually on that road. So, unless I'm missing something you can't preprogram the system to avoid roadworks etc.

Setup
HP iPaq RZ1710
512 Mb SD Card
VM4.2 (UK single country edition)
Kirrio Wired GPSCradle
DenisW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received an update from Michelin advising Version 4.4 patch is expected to be released Wed 8th Feb. 06.

They also advise that it will resolve most of my issues but I will wait and see.
northernlad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i find this version 4 to be poor...my postcode doesn't exist and everything here in Aberdeenshire seems to be grouped with Braemar which is miles inland. Makes life hard to start navigating...informed michelin and they were looking into it

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: