Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Audible Alerts for POI's - Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Audible Alerts for POI's - Cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TerJon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Audible Alerts for POI's - Cameras Reply with quote

Dear Forum

Been reading all past posts and am amazed (and confused) and the amount of detail here !

Nonetheless, after having purchased a TomTom GO 500 last week (running 5.201), I have managed to install the SpeedCamera Database in my POI files by copying over only the .OV2 and .BMP files from the recommended PocketGPSWorld database.

Whilst the speed camera icon now shows up camersa when I navigate a route, I don't understand how to set an audio proximity warning. From posts in the forum, it seems that I have to set an audible warning for each camera on a route ! Is this correct ?

In my POI directory, then sub-directory Speed Cameras, I see all the cameras listed using their GPS co-ordinates and cannot understand these at all.

Finally I have seen the PocketGPSWorld advice about the installations of spoken audible alerts which involves replacing my current "data.chk" file with a new file. I think that I need the file "5252_new_data.chk" and would be grateful for confirmation of this.

Many thanks in advance for any advice offered !
TerJon
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Audible Alerts for POI's - Cameras Reply with quote

TerJon wrote:
Whilst the speed camera icon now shows up cameras when I navigate a route, I don't understand how to set an audio proximity warning. From posts in the forum, it seems that I have to set an audible warning for each camera on a route ! Is this correct ?

No! You have to set up a warning for each category of camera - i.e. for each POI (.ov2) file containing a heap of cameras.

In the menu system, select Change Preferences - then Manage POI - then Warn when near POI.

You'll see all the POI categories listed. Select each camera category in turn and set the warning distance, then the warning sound. [There are a lot to choose from, and you can press Test to hear each one, and then Select when you have chosen the one you want.] Finally, there is a checkbox for "Warn only when on route". My advice is to leave that unchecked.

With the standard sounds, you have to choose between various bells, bleeps, animal noises, etc. Using one of the modified data.chk files available, you'll be able to have spoken warnings such as "Speed Camera, 30 mph" etc. - but they're still described as bells, beeps, cows, etc. in the menu - so you need to maintain your own cross-reference list on a piece of paper when setting it all up.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
TerJon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Roger

Thank you very much for the advice - it worked and the results have been fantastic !

I have a final question about using a modified "data.chk" file .... WHICH ONE ?

Am I right in saying that the appropriate file is chosen according to which version of the TTG software I am using ? I have recently upgraded to v. 5201 so would I be correct in saying that I need to use the file "5252_new_data.chk" that I have seen in the Download Section of the site ?

Thanks again in advance for your guidance.

TerJon
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerJon wrote:
I have a final question about using a modified "data.chk" file .... WHICH ONE ?

Am I right in saying that the appropriate file is chosen according to which version of the TTG software I am using ? I have recently upgraded to v. 5201 so would I be correct in saying that I need to use the file "5252_new_data.chk" that I have seen in the Download Section of the site ?

Thanks again in advance for your guidance.

TerJon

That's the one you want.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
J-Lo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Forum

Following these questions from TerJon, I wonder if you can help.

I have been successfully using software v. 5201 on my TTG500 along with the "5252_new_data.chk" to provide voiced warnings for speed cameras.

I would now like to upgrade my TTG software to v.5.420...

Do I also have to upgrade the data.chk file to "5643_new_data.chk" ? If so, what order do I update my TTG ? The TTG software first then the new data.chk file or vice versa ?

I would also like to update the new Database and again wonder if this should be done before the other two updates or after.

Any advice much appreciated.

J-Lo
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi J-Lo, and welcome.

The database can be loaded at any time. It can be used with any version of TT.

You would load the V5.420 first (because this will create a new default data.chk file), and then install the 5643 file.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
J-Lo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice Richard !
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaps, If you want to re-name the warnings based text that is displayed, and get more than 15 warnings try The POIExtend utility avail from http://www.tomtomsatnav.info/poiw.html
Once done the warnings will have meaningful names, making the set-up considerably easier - Mike
Pev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Richard,
I have been following this topic to try to find out why my spoken alerts are not now working correctly after upgrading to version 5.420 on my TTG 700. The spoken alerts worked fine prior to this upgrade. I have downloaded the data check file (5643) but now find the spoken alerts are incorrect for the cameras. Any help would be appreciated.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pev,

download the DATA.CHK file again. We had to upload a corrected version, and you may still have the initial version.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ramh2o
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz

Like all the work you are doing, but is there anyway you could change the gatso warning from 'bing bong gatso' to something like 'gatso ahead'
I'm sure it wasn't like that in older/ earlier 'data.chk' files

I thought the idea was to get away from all the bells and whistles?

Thanks
Pev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Lutz,
Thanks for the advice. I have downloaded the data.chk file again but unfortunately have just done a stupid thing and accidentally deleted the contents of my voices folder on my TTG. I have a voice backup folder on my harddrive but that contains many different folders and wav files and am not sure which ones to reinstall. Would it be the engf or engm folders and the corresponding wav files. Thanks for you help.
Pev
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramh2o wrote:
is there anyway you could change the gatso warning from 'bing bong gatso' to something like 'gatso ahead'
I'm sure it wasn't like that in older/ earlier 'data.chk' files

We are no longer doing customizations on that - there are tools on the web that allow you to cook your own data.chk file using your very own sounds. (user rayflan)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pev wrote:
Would it be the engf or engm folders and the corresponding wav files.

Those are old folders, for version 3 of TTN. Version 5 uses .CHK and .VIF files. You can reinstall the voices from CD though.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Pev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks once again Lutz. I reinstalled the voices folder from the original backup when I first bought the TTG in August and hopefully with the newly downloaded data.chk file it should all work again. Thanks for your help and quick response.
Pev

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: