Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Traffic From Another Source ? I Think Its Possible
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Traffic From Another Source ? I Think Its Possible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Traffic From Another Source ? I Think Its Possible Reply with quote

All,

I’m not sure if this is the right section to post or that it is possible but I believe that a 3rd party app could be produced to integrate and supply Tomtom traffic data from another source. I’ve made certain assumptions as I don’t have a working Traffic account but I do have quite a lot of knowledge I have brought with me from the PC aspects of other programs.
I also don’t know if what I am proposing is right or acceptable by the mods so if it is not please delete – as far as I can see it stretches what should be done but does not go over that line… just I think.

Ok – my theory of how Tomtom gets its data ( and this comes from looking at the data files included ) is that it connects to a server on the net and grabs the latest copy of the TMC stream data from it. This is then held locally in a file and used until it is updated and replaced.

Through using a number of tools including a HTTP sniffer it may be possible ( again I know this can be done on a PC ) to trick the system that its looking at a particular server but redirect it. In PC terms this is via the hosts file.

This sever could be local on the PDA or on the net but effectively would replicate the way the Tomtom one would work – ie user id / pw / file.

Now I believe that as it downloads the TMC stream three things –
1) that this file can be located on the PDA and will probably follow the documented TMC data format which is freely available.
2) If it is the TMC format this will work as the TMC location codes are part of the Map data – ie the License is covered from that aspect – all we are doing is going to an alt source.
3) TMC / TPEG data streams are freely available from the BBC either in XML format or binary so the data is there

So to confirm this info – a HTTP sniffer needs to be run on a PDA using a live Traffic ( or weather for that matter ) account to see where it comes from, a server ( or local client ) replicating their server needs to be created , this server could take the data from server sources and convert it if needed, a redirect locally to this server would be needed, confirmation of the local TMC file / content probably will also be needed.

Now I can’t write programs my self so I hope some one may find this of use but I am more than happy to help where I can.

Terran
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be to avoid the hosts table and use routes. i.e. if you are looking for this IP address go here... However, I have seen neither solution available for PPC. Someone please correct me if I am wrong?
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted here as well.... http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?p=181153#181153

Terran
StevePritchard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory I guess it's possible. From memory, when I sniffed the packets they went to a subdomain at TomTom (which I can't for the life remember the name of), however, I've not seen a hosts file on the PocketPC that might allow you to redirect it elsewhere.

Having said that, I think the hardest part of achieving this would be to replicate the traffic information format, which was obviously in a binary format.

Cheers,

Steve.
ccsnet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevePritchard wrote:
In theory I guess it's possible. From memory, when I sniffed the packets they went to a subdomain at TomTom (which I can't for the life remember the name of), however, I've not seen a hosts file on the PocketPC that might allow you to redirect it elsewhere.

Having said that, I think the hardest part of achieving this would be to replicate the traffic information format, which was obviously in a binary format.

Cheers,

Steve.
I'm not so sure.... thats why I want to get a copy of the file held locally really.

Terran
StevePritchard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are saying that all you need is a copy of the traffic data file then PM me your eMail address (or spam-protect it here), and I'll see what I can do before my trial runs out next week...

Cheers,

Steve.
babybob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone ever get anywhere with this? Id be interested in seeing the binary file as well

btnorman@hotmail.com
Soulfish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very interesting idea - did anyone ever get anywhere with decoding the binary/starting writing a third party app?
I'd be interested in helping if anyone wanted to give it a go.

John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: