Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best system for speed-dependant speed camera alerts?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best system for speed-dependant speed camera alerts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoffT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Best system for speed-dependant speed camera alerts? Reply with quote

I'm not a GPS beginner, but this seemed the best place to ask the question as it is not specific to one brand or software package.

I am a mobile service engineer and currently have a Mitac Mio 168 running TomTom3 with Checkpoint and UKpostcode add-ons. I have had it for around 2 years, and with the add-ons, it suits my needs fairly well. Over the last week or so, however, the system seems to be losing it's ability to pick up the GPS signals, and has several times lost positon all together (on open roads and in clear conditions). As I would also like to have the latest map data, I am using this as an excuse to upgrade Wink . I will probably upgrade the hardware as well to something with the new Sirf III chipset, to improve the GPS reception speed/ reliability.

I presume that all of the newer software products will give me better map data, but what I really love about my current set-up is the way Checkpoint only warns me about upcoming speed cameras if I am accidently going faster than the speed limit. It would drive me nuts to be warned about every camera even if was travelling at or below the limit.

So finally onto the question! Which of the current (or about to be released) navigation software packages has this facility? I see that Checkpoint has been updated to work with TomTom5, but having read about some of the problems people are having with TT5, I would like to have some alternatives aswell. I am also a bit anti TomTom as I had real problems getting a sensible response from their customer support, when I needed help setting up TT3 on the Mio.

To summarize my requirements for the software:

Essentials features

Latest map data
Full 7 digit postcode support
Speed-dependant speed camera alerts (ideally not a subscription service)
Reliable software

Useful, but not essential, features

Itinery planning as I normally have 3 or 4 jobs per day
Customisable POI facility

I don't really mind if it is an "all-in-one", or another Pocket PC system, so long as it meets (or can be modified to meet) the above criteria.

Any recommendations or advice gratefully received.

Geoff

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: