Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom Go issues!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom Go issues!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: tomtom Go issues! Reply with quote

I have been looking in from the outside hope there are those that might be able to help me out … Rolling Eyes

Problem is firstly the old saying its difficult teaching an old dog new tricks and this applies to me more so than most I’d suggest Embarassed
I’ve never been able to get my head around anything computer’ish, and GPS’s frankly baffle me, I’m ok switching them on but anything beyond that and I’m at a loss Sad

All what I’m about to mention has been suggested to me by people that already own tomtom’s and I guess are quite capable at doing these things, unlike myself so here goes nothing Confused

Apparently the tomtom Go I have has a number on the screen and it is ( version 4.400 ) … apparently this is an old version, I suppose it might be as I bought the unit off ebay and its apparently 12 months old. They said that it can be updated and there is a newer version available on the internet at the tomtom site Question

When I eventually managed to get to the tomtom site I couldn’t understand after reading all what was available, if indeed there is a newer version! …and secondly because I bought the unit secondhand I never was the person that registered it from new and it kept mentioning about registration numbers and product codes …. This just about finished me off and I had to retreat with a white flag waving above my head 8O

All I ever got was the unit, the CD, the card “ if that’s what it’s called that pushes into the unit “ some leads, one that charges it, and another that would connect it up to the computer … and a cloth to wipe the screen and the sweat off my head after baffling myself

I did read on the tomtom site that apparently for the tomtom Go “ this one has no numbers after it like 300, 500, or 700 etc “ that a number is sometime printed inside the CD case which I never got with the unit in any case … would this be the number they are going on about?

Basically I would have liked to have up-graded from the older 4.400 version if that’s possible and secondly I would, have liked to have been able to put in the speed camera positions for the UK again if this is possible.

Please bear in mind you will totally baffle me if you use anything but basic language … but any help would be so much appreciated indeed … thanks in anticipation guys … cheers Wink
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bought an original GO (back then they didn't have numbers).

You did not get the Product ID, so you are stuck with your old version. Since you bought it off eBay you have no proper proof of purchase and TomTom will see no reason to issue you a new Product ID. You could still try though...

For speed cameras please refer to this page http://pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
hoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bought an original GO (back then they didn't have numbers).

You did not get the Product ID, so you are stuck with your old version.

When you say numbers are you saying that there was never a registration number that came with this tomtom Go unit from new?

Would this registration number have been the one that the tomtom site, say would have been inside the CD cover? .... is the Registration number different to what tomtom also call a production number?

Would I still be able to use the speed camera info, if so what do I do to get them on my tomtom unit? ..... I do have a lead that connects the unit to the P.C.

cheers ...........
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoggy wrote:
When you say numbers are you saying that there was never a registration number that came with this tomtom Go unit from new?

No. I meant the device name.

They are

TomTom GO (that's what you have)
TomTom GO 100 (never commercially available)
TomTom GO 300
TomTom GO 500
TomTom GO 700

and so on.

Quote:

Would I still be able to use the speed camera info, if so what do I do to get them on my tomtom unit?

At the risk of repeating myself...
For speed cameras please refer to this page http://pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trust the Yanks to confuse the issue :-) Hoggy: can you contact me via my website, I'll give you my phone number and talk you through what you need to do.
worthingsaxovtr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoggy,

dont worry a lot of us on here are still learning
hoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guy that’s great news Wink ... I might be able in future to get out of this GPS's what you guy do :D

Eldar I have visited and joined your website Wink “ awaiting activation “ …. Thanks you for your offer of help, I will post on your site and hopefully will be able to educate myself about this very interesting subject of Sat-Nav. :D

I just get mixed up when people post about downloading and copying file to certain places …. Embarassed
I’d hazard a guess when you know how to do things it is easy, the problem is when your following instructions, these instructions at times can not stop you and say hang on your about to go wrong, which is so often the case when I do anything with regards to computers and such likes.

Once again thanks to all that have helped me out Wink … I take it from the posting that the newer version isn’t going to be possible for me and the unit I have Sad so if I can somehow manage to get the speed camera programme onto the tomtom Go unit I have I will have to settle for that …

Cheers … Hoggy Wink
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoggy wrote:
… I take it from the posting that the newer version isn’t going to be possible for me and the unit I have Sad

Yes you can upgrade to the new maps and all that goes with it.

I had a Classic running V4.xx and now have the latest offering from TomTom.

If you buy the MOWE not only do you get the Maps on CD, something that is missing in the new units, but the upgrade is normally cheaper in the future.

You would then have a Classic, running v5.xxx software and the V5 maps.

All you then need is the Device Number from the Go itself and the Product Code that comes with the MOWE, and off you GO.Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
hoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought I’d have a go at downloading the Speed Camera software … well after all there were instructions with it, and if I followed them meticulously surely I’d be successful 8O Embarassed

Anyhow I spent 4 hours last night trying to get it set-up …. Was so tired I had to retreat to bed … awoke and spent another 2 hours and frankly I just couldn’t do it. My stepson came in and eventually I asked him if he could help me, which he did … took him all of 15 minutes and its up and running Embarassed

I’m not as previously mentioned technically minded … professionally I’m a medic and any electrical instruments we use are simply demonstrated to use and if they go wrong or need maintenance we simply tag then and return them to the technical department 8)

So anyhow I have at least managed or should I thankfully say, my stepson has managed, to get me up and running with the Camera programme “ which is to me unbelievably good “ :D

So with 6 hours of trying to download the speed camera program ( and failing ) …. I think this will illustrate too all just how useless I am with these things! … never mind its not a hanging offence Smile

So what I have as my next topic is sorting out all these numbers etc …. Registration numbers, activation codes, product numbers!. … and the problem with me buying the unit secondhand off ebay .. incidentally I paid £185 for it plus postage.

I have found a card inside the box it all came in …. It start off with … Thank you for purchasing TomTom GO … it then goes on we welcome you to register as a GO user.

Some way down the sheet it says you can register on-line at www.tomtom.com/GOregister

And in a outlined box is a letter/number ……it starts of LUSN-BK**-****

I have on purpose not completed the number/letters … but its as you can see three groups of four letters and numbers totalling as expected 12 digits.

Does this get me any nearer to up-dating my Tomtom Go version 4.400 to a never version Question

I’m a patient man, if it takes me weeks I will preserver, frankly with my ability I’ve no other option Embarassed

I’m no use at Computer or GPS’s system, but if your choking or bleed profusely, I’m your man Laughing
hoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops ... forgot to ask ..... what is MOWE Embarassed
hoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops again ... I'm making a right mess of this Embarassed .... is there a UK help line telephone number I could harass someone at tomtom, was wondering if they might be able to help me out.

If anyone is aware of this number assuming there is one, I’d be very grateful if you could let me have it … that’s the telephone number 8O
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maps Of Western Europe

Samsung Galaxy S9 (o2) contract
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0845 161 0009

Samsung Galaxy S9 (o2) contract
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoggy wrote:
And in a outlined box is a letter/number ……it starts of LUSN-BK**-****

It looks like the Product Number, but they are usually of 3 groups of 5 digits. It's probably one of the originals.

If you are lucky the number may not be registered at TT. The previous owner may have removed it from the site.

If you go to www.ttcode.com and use the Device Code (you can get it from the Go itself in Change Preferences, find Show Version, and it's the first 2 x 5 group of letter/numbers at the top) and the Product Code you have above to get an Activation Code. This you would need to Activate (use) the maps, if something goes wrong.

You now have 2 courses of action that you have to decide on.

1. Use the upgrade path and obtain a new V5 map on SD card for 79 euros plus p&p, and you don't get a Map CD as a backup. This would (should) 'plug 'n' play'. Unfortunately you only have until Monday to do it.

2. Purchase the Maps of Western Europe, at a cost of about £100, which comes on a 6 CD set, so you have a complete backup of all Europe Maps. It will be cheaper to upgrade this way in the future if TT policy follows the current trend of charging only 59 euros for upgrading.

There are lots of places selling MOWE.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the three groups of four letters for "registration". They are not the product code for the map/CD. There were used for registering for the carrying case/bezels at the time they were shipped without.

The Product code on the early Gos was still the groups of 5 letters. They are on a label on the outside of the paper cover to the CD. If you haven't got that paper cover, you are probably stuck.

If the maps work now, OK. But if you are ever asked for an activation code on upgrade to the new software, you will need a Product Code. Maybe the only way to get one is to buy a new map (as and Sd card or a set of CDs). Maps come with a new product code.

Your GO will show its Device Code on the "Show Version" bit of the Preferences.

Put Device Code and product code into the right boxes at www.ttcode.com and you will be up and running with a working activation code..
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: