Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MDPNA100 battery discharges itself!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MDPNA100 battery discharges itself!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sid_davo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: MDPNA100 battery discharges itself!!! Reply with quote

The MDPNA100 that I currently use has a problem that I believe is not intentional by the manufacturers.

I have noticed a significant level of battery discharge overnight on many occasions. Some time ago however, whilst on holiday for a week the unit still had some power left when I returned.

On a monthly basis (average) the PDA decides it would like to drink all of it's juice including backup battery supply at which point it then wipes it's memory of Medion navigator 4.3 and POIWarner (basically add-on software). I then have to reboot, recharge, re-install and re-configure all of my settings.

I have checked the GPS settings and this is OFF until required. The power save is set to turn off after 2 mins of no use and finally the backlight is set to powersave also.

Why does it do this when it is most definitely switched off??????

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Comments gratefully received.
Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No PDA style phone or PDA for that matter actually fully turns off - the memory is still running as is the phone, therefore if its not put on charge regulaly then it will discharge to the point the memory is wiped and needs all the settings / software re-installed. I dock my units to the PC when I get in at night, the following morning they are all fully charged ready to go again - this action I would recommend - Mike
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Make sure you shut down all the running programs too, not just hit the "x" in the top right corner, that only puts it in the background, then when you switch the PDA off, it uses battery power to keep the program running.
sid_davo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the help.

The common theme seems to be that i don't charge the unit often enough. The PDA is charged every day whilst docked at work and whenever in the car used as a Sat nav so personally i didn't see this as an issue.

MIKEALDER - Interesting what you say which i didn't fully appreciate but this has occured overnight when it has been fully charged during the day. This is why i feel that i may have a problem. When reaching the point of standby supply should the PDA really be thinking 'i'd better shutdown all processes still active to preserve whatever i have left'? I still cannot comprehend the thing drinking itself to death!

TANDA - Thanks a lot too for your post. Just like a computer i did assume that the 'x' was a shortcut to closing the programs that were running. How would you suggest 'shutting down'.

Someone has also posted me a mail saying that they had a similar problem and that the battery cover closing device was not fully closed and this seemed to sort out their problem. Never noticed this before but it's worth a go.

There never seems to be a pattern to the battery draining and every morning when i switch on is a lottery to see what i may have to re-install.

You're all helping an amateur - thanks a lot. If anyone has anything more to add then please do! Smile
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, If a program has an option to shut down, then use that, my viamitchelin says, "do you want to close the program", then just click on yes, and its closed. If you open say media player, or a game, and click on the "X", the game is still running in the background, using the batery power, it is not shut down, even if the Pocket PC is off. On my pocket PC, there is a short cut on the bottom right of the desk top, if you click on it, it shows you what programs you have running, from there, you can open, or shut down the running program, before switching the pocket PC off, I always shut down ALL the running programs, using this method. Have you something similar on your pocket PC?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To ensure all programs are shut down fully, go to start/ settings, select the system tab then the icon marked memory, at the bottom of this page will be "running Programs" select this and then stop all - its a sure fire way to stop any processor activity - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: