Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - wrong information given when exiting a main road
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

wrong information given when exiting a main road

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: wrong information given when exiting a main road Reply with quote

TTN 5, have found a problem when leaving a major road ("A" road etc), for example if you are on the A1234, the status bar at the bottom of the screen advises you that the next road you need is the A1234 whereas it should be the B5678 etc.
Have raised this with TomTom support several times and all they can offer is "thats' the way the software works" <<so tough luck>> !
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem with Co-pilot. From what I can see, it is NOT a problem with the application, but a 'feature' of the maps.

What is happenning, is that roads are not stored as you 'see' them, but as a series of road sections with turns etc. Where this seems to go 'wrong' most often is on filter lanes. The software sees this as a change of route (which it is) and it will only report what the map holds it as. If it is held as a section of the main road (which technically it is) it will report it as such. This is why (I believe) when turning left, that you are sometimes told to turn onto the filter, then immediately told to turn onto the road you are taking, the filter being treated as a separate section of road (which again it is). It all seems to boil down to, is, when is a filter lane a slip road? (which does get reported as such)

Perhaps this is a case where the maps should be holding 'incorrect' information so that we are not confused! I think that it would be almost impossible (certainly given the capacity/performance of the hardware) to have practical application solution.

I do however think that TomTon could have been given a helpful explaination.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted a similar thread on this exact same subject.

It doesn't help when you are belting down the road and you have to turn off that the road indicator says e.g. A1(M) when the road you want to turn onto is the A177. I like to verify what the navigation software is telling me against the signs on the road, to make sure I'm taking the correct exit. However TomTom leaves me guessing.

I don't remember this problem with TomTom3 but I no longer have a copy of that to test.

TomTom regularly bundles together two roads into one instruction when in town, I can't see why they don't do the same for slip roads.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too have come across this near hythe it tells me to turn left then left again but in reallity all you have to do is cross the road and turn right ,it really confused me the first time it happened

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: