Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Installing Mapsonic on PC with no PDA?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing Mapsonic on PC with no PDA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gooroo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Installing Mapsonic on PC with no PDA? Reply with quote

Just tried installing Mapsonic on my Laptop, I dont own a PDA. The installation finishes with the product wanting to connect to a PDA, when I cancel this it reports product was not installed and promptly removes itself. Any idea how to get around this other than borrowing a PDA for 5 mins. I did have 2.1 and this did the same, but when you cancelled at the end it left the program installed. But I would like to use 2.5 and install the 3.1/3.2 Patch, this is driving (no pun intended) me nuts!!!

Regards
elan2s
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the 2.5 user manual you should be able to install just to the PC as described

Quote:
3.1. Installing MapSonic on your computer
When you insert the CD-ROM into your computer the first time, the installation programme, InstallShield, will run automatically and offer to install MapSonic on your PC.
♣ It is vital that you connect your Palm to your computer if you wish to use MapSonic on your Palm.

If you have MapSonic Europe, a complete installation will enable you to install all of the maps, grouped by countries, as well as the application, onto your computer. A personalised installation will enable you to specify which maps you wish to see in MapStore. The installation programme will then offer to install MapSonic on your Palm. If you do not have a Palm, click PC, although note that you will not be able to export maps onto a Palm without re-installing the software. If you have a Palm, connect it to the computer and follow the instructions on the screen.

Several synchronisations will be required – it is recommended that you synchronise your Palm before the software is installed to ensure that the connection between the Palm and the computer is working.

MapStore will only accept the Palm connected at the time of installation.

Regarding the patches for 3.0/3.1/3.2 these have no obvious effect on the MapStore application on the PC (no post code search, no new screens, remains as v3.5), indeed I would go as far as to suggest the patches only affect the PDA applications. So there is no benefit in adding them if you are only using it on the PC. Before trying again it is probably best to completely uninstall what you already have on your PC so it is truly starting from scratch

Hope this helps
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is this won't work unless you either sync to a palm or fiddle it somehow so the sofware thinks you have - which won't be easy.

I found by accident at home (I sync to both Work and Home PCs), that if you disable the mapsonic from the hotsync list, then Mapstore on PC won't run after 2 weeks or so.

It seems there is a licence file/registry entry somewhere on the PC which is updated every hotsync to enable Mapstore to run for 2 weeks or so only, and this acts as a licence for the Mapstore software.

When this time runs out you get a fairly random error message telling you to re-install, but the only issue is lack of a hotsync with the PDA.
gooroo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, have managed to apply the 2.3 Patch and that gives me the 3d views and night mode which is what I wanted mainly. Do you know if 2.3 also suffers the needing to be hotsync'd every couple of weeks?

Regards

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: