Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio168 / TT5 - right choice?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio168 / TT5 - right choice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philsparks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Mio168 / TT5 - right choice? Reply with quote

Got flashed a few weeks ago, luckily no speeding ticket yet but it did prompt me into investigating a satnav/speed camera option.

Requirements are (i) reliable warnings of UK speed cameras (ii) decent and easy to use UK satnav, so the missus can use without a lesson in PDAs and computing and (iii) ocasional Euro use.

Going the PDA route rather than a dedicated unit appeals as I guess there is more flexibility in the future to update the software, add maps, add camera info etc. I've got a smartphone so don't really need the PDA functions.

I spoke to a few people and the consensus seemed to be that TT5 was probably the best software around, so it was worth spending out on this.

As far as which unit to buy, the integrated units seem the neatest option, just one power cable, can be taken out and used in other cars or even when on foot. To be honest if I had to plug in the pda, check the bluetooth aerial was charged, make sure they were talking to each other etc every time I got in the car then I wouldn't bother for shortish journeys which kind of defeats the object.

Again having read around and chatted to a few people it seems that TT5 will run on just about any PDA and therefore there isn't much point in spending on a great spec one. Is this right? I'd have thought that a faster processor/more memory would help the 'decision making process' of the software, but perhaps it just doesn't make that much difference. Therfore having surfed around a bit the Mio168 seems perfectly adequate. With Euro maps and TT5 I guess I'm looking at about £350 or so.

Can anyone see any flaws in my thinking. I'm happy to spend a bit more if it would get me a much better solution.

thanx in advance
Phil
Phil-w
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm running a MIO168 and TTN5, works fine only comment is that it takes a minute or so to get its first fix from cold but I don't think it is just a MIO issue from what I have read...

I download the free POI camera data base and it works very well, plenty of audio out, no need for amplified speakers unlike friends with Ipaq's.

Generally a good piece of kit, nice and tidy, no extra cables to bother about, never had to use the extra external antenna, the attached one works well. I must say that there are things not in TTN5 that I had in TTN3 and I miss but as you will be starting from scratch it will not be an issue, "what you have never had, you won't miss"....

I would (in my opinion anyway) got for the Mio168 and TTN5. Why pay for Wireless etc if you don't need it..

Phil-w
philsparks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil W

thanks for the advice, looks like I've been thinking along the right lines.

Phil
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in one or dedicated GPS unit is not ideal for car use because of the restriction of where you must place it.

Add an external antenna and it should do well.
LeighB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have this combo, re the external antenna, it depends on what you drive! In my old Volvo no probs at all, however in the not so old (X reg) Peugeot I find I need the external antenna to use the new landscape mode in TTN5, Upright with TTN3 it was OK.
I also use it for hillwalking etc, with Memory-Map and for that it is excellent, you do need an external battery pack to go all day, plus the ScreenOff utility which reduces power consumption.
Plus of course if you find it useful you have all the PDA functions as well.

Mio168 Kingston 256SD
TomTomNavigator3 3.07
TomTom Navigator 5
Memory Map 2004 OS 4.4
Checkpoint 2.02
philsparks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, re the external antenna - do you think that is because of having the unit sideways (I presume this is what you mean by the landscape mode) or is it to do with modern cars, heated windscreens etc?

Also what is the external antenna you use like, I wouldn't mind small 'blob' that I could just stick on the inside of the windscreen and plug a small extra wire into the PDA, but if we're talking something that actually has to sit outside the car with wires trailing through windows or doors, or having to drill through the dash then I get much less keen.

thanks
Phil
LeighB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a bit of both. Works fine sideways in Volvo, not in Peugeot which has some sort of coated screen I think.

The external aerial I have came with the kit and sticks on the roof magnetically, easily removed when not in use, wire comes in thru doorseal, not window, but is a minor nuisance. I believe you can get internal "repeating" aerials that do the same job less conspicuously.

Mio168 Kingston 256SD
TomTomNavigator3 3.07
TomTom Navigator 5
Memory Map 2004 OS 4.4
Checkpoint 2.02

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: