Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go 500 - European Map Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go 500 - European Map Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil_Hereford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go 500 - European Map Problems Reply with quote

Having just come back from France and used the Go 500, I was a little supprised at the considerable number of errors in the routing information. on many occasions, it gave wrong roundabout exit instructions, tried to route me up a non existent motorway and generally was of little help other than let me know where I was. Certainly not worth the extra £100. Perhaps I was expecting too much. Sad
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you you were only using the intergrated Major Roads of Europe you won't get the same degree of detail as you would with the country specific maps.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
BrianI
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my TTGO 500 in France the last two weeks and did not have a problem. The voice spoken exit numbers on roundabouts is sometimes wrong but the map is always correct and a quick glance at the map shows the correct exit. This error also applies to UK roundabouts and not just France and I guess the same error will be in all TT versions as the mapping is the same. It does not give you the minor roads but generally these are roads you would not go down anyway, other than in towns when looking for a hotel. However TT got you pretty close so was not a big problem. Drove through the centre of Geneva without a problem and the big advantage is that TT gives you advance notice of the next turn so you can get in the correct lane in good time. Also gives you an accurate time of arrival which is useful when catching a ferry.

Brian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's a thought.....
We've been talking on the forums about TomTom occasionally getting the exit numbers wrong on roundabouts, but if you are using the 'Major Roads of <wherever>' and some of the exits from a particular roundabout are minor, presumably Tomtom is going to get it badly wrong on a regular basis?
BrianI
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

I did not find that to be the case. Some of the exits on roundabouts in France were just farmtracks and TT counted them. Other times it just got it wrong when they were major roads, similar to what happens in the UK.

There seemed to be no set pattern

Brian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, another fine theory down the drain! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: