Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with voices and crap customer care
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with voices and crap customer care

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveyonthemove
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Problems with voices and crap customer care Reply with quote

I'm a new customer to TomTom with navigator 5 on a new hx4700.
I recently bought the John Cleese voice from the tomtom site and downloaded it to my PC as the pda was refused for some reason.
After alot of hassle i got it to work. Recently i had to do a hard reset and found the voice had gone, so i went through the same methods of downloading the voice again. This time i cannot get it to speak even though it is selectable in the menu.
I emailed tomtom to try and resolve this but as usual they haven't replyed yet, so nearly 2 weeks after a hard reset i still have no voice that i paid for.
Also i tryed to buy the eurpoean maps off the site as there was a deal for aprox 59 euros. When i try to purchase this, in have to input my product code or device code (can't remember which).
The software is only a month old and the Ipaq is the original device, so the codes should be ok, but for some reason tomtom won't accept them. After an email to them to explain this and get a solution, the only answer i got was "we have no rcord of you purchasing the maps on your account". That was the whole meaning of me contacting them..... the stupid system wouldn't allow me to purchase them!
If anyone has any helpfull tips to resolve these issues i would be most gratefull!
Thanks for reading
Dave
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with voices and crap customer care Reply with quote

daveyonthemove wrote:
Also i tryed to buy the eurpoean maps off the site as there was a deal for aprox 59 euros. When i try to purchase this, in have to input my product code or device code (can't remember which).
The software is only a month old and the Ipaq is the original device, so the codes should be ok, but for some reason tomtom won't accept them. After an email to them to explain this and get a solution, the only answer i got was "we have no rcord of you purchasing the maps on your account". That was the whole meaning of me contacting them..... the stupid system wouldn't allow me to purchase them!

That's because it's the upgrade price, and you were asked for your old MOWE Product Code. As you have never owned a previous version of MOWE, there was no Product Code.

You would need to purchase outright, at the full price, MOWE and then in the future if you so wish go through the process of upgrading maps at the reduced rate.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
daveyonthemove
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realised not long after writing this post that it was an upgrade i was trying to get by mistake. oops. i did mention i was new to all this?!
Still no joy with the voices though
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the voice I read somewhere on the forum if you change the name of it to a 2 digit number as opposed to a 3 digit number it works better. I cannot confirm where this info is or even if it is relevent as I changed the name as soon as I bought mine and it works ok.

Hope you can sort something out.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need an empty folder called TOMTOM on the root of your SD Card. It should work then. Changing the file names from 100 to 99 prevents it dissappearing each time you switch TT5 off.

Regards,

Steve
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveW wrote:
Changing the file names from 100 to 99 prevents it dissappearing each time you switch TT5 off.

Thats it, I knew changing the file name did something. I did it on the advice of this forum when I bought the voice asa precaution so had no problems.
daveyonthemove
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: voices Reply with quote

The voices are already 97xxx so i assume you don't ned to change that figure?
Not entirely sure what was meant bu the empty tomtom folder. am i deleting it's contents or creating a new folder? am i then putting the voice into it?
Don't be afraid to explain it to me like i'm an idiot as i won't be offended and will probably pick it up a bit quicker.
Cheers for the previuos info guys!
Dave
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voice comes with the name data100.chk and data100.vif as well as an image file called data100

Change these to data99.chk etc (as long as you don't already have a data99 that is) the program cannot cope with a 3 figure name for some reason.

For the tomtom folder, just add an empty TOMTOM to the root of the SD card. I don't think you need to put anything into it just needs to be there.

Put your voice in the voices folder located on your SD card.

try that.
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voice comes with the name data100.chk and data100.vif as well as an image file called data100

Change these to data99.chk etc (as long as you don't already have a data99 that is) the program cannot cope with a 3 figure name for some reason.

For the tomtom folder, just add an empty TOMTOM to the root of the SD card. I don't think you need to put anything into it just needs to be there.

Put your voice in the voices folder located on your SD card.

try that.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: