Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator PN + VGA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator PN + VGA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Destinator PN + VGA Reply with quote

I emailed Destinator Europe support some time ago about a problem I was experiencing using Destinator PN on my HP 4700. The problem was basically that, if you tried to move the map to locate a particular point to navigate to, the whole iPAQ froze and required a soft reset. If you moved the map only say 10mm at a time all was OK but this is rather slow to say the least. After many months waiting I have just received the following reply:

"thank you for your E-Mail.
You have a question concerning the Destinator software.

If your device has a VGA mode, an error might errupt because the destinator
program does not support VGA-dissolution.
That's how the error might arise."

David R

I take this to mean that, despite what they say on their web-site, Destinator PN is NOT compatible with the iPAQ 4700 with it's 640x480 VGA screen.
nulusios
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupidly enough for a mid-2005 piece of software, Destinator PN DOES NOT support VGA mode

In fact, forcing the software to VGA manages to render tiny (read: useless) program function icons, centered on the top left corner...

PN is much less useless in VGA than old D3...

I find it totaly stupid. I know MORE users NOT willing to upgrade (or buy fresh) PN exactly because if this limitation, than people willing

...talking about wise marketing decision...
What were they thinking?

I just wonder if enough people eat this.

[/b]
scookie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: VGA Reply with quote

I agree, i am using destinator pn and the text and maps look a bit blocky, I hope they give it a true VGA soon, I am new to destinator but I find at least the maps of the UK are good
s93ncer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nulusios wrote:
Stupidly enough for a mid-2005 piece of software, Destinator PN DOES NOT support VGA mode

Incorrect - where did you get this information!
It seems like the reply Dave got from Destinator was not entirely correct.

nulusios wrote:

In fact, forcing the software to VGA manages to render tiny (read: useless) program function icons, centered on the top left corner...

PN is much less useless in VGA than old D3...

I find it totaly stupid. I know MORE users NOT willing to upgrade (or buy fresh) PN exactly because if this limitation, than people willing

...talking about wise marketing decision...
What were they thinking?

I just wonder if enough people eat this.

Just so everyone knows, and for you Dave as you were the first to find the bug - it seems (not confirmed) that there is an issue with the UK maps - the fault does not occur when using Germany, France or other EU countries. Destinator have confirmed this as a 'bug' but have not said whether it will be a program change or map change.

...Spence
nulusios
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about?

Where did I get this information? I saw it myself.

A friend was unlucky enough (although he does have a QVGA device for now so it's not so vital for him) to buy it so we tried it on on my VGA device too. (let me not hear any legalities now since I am sure most people would try something like this)

When not forced to VGA the program works fine, but of course in fact at 240x320. When forced to VGA (where D3 works FINE and I never tried it in QVGA mode EVER after), the program still thinks the program buttons should stay in the predetermined 240x320 area so although the vector map is all over the screen, the buttons are not.

This is COMPLETELY irrelevant to the map loaded so please don't confuse the public with misinformation. Where the program button icons go is completely irrelevant with the map in use (and I tried it with all supplied maps in my friend's CD).

I contacted the vendor and they didn't deny that the program doesn't work in VGA.
(btw I also let the vendor know that I WILL inform whoever I have the power to, about this MAJOR limitation of a Q3/2005 program)

I remember people asking for VGA support even back in the days of D3 and we were all SURE that the future version WOULD support VGA. Well it does not.-
s93ncer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is COMPLETELY irrelevant to the map loaded so please don't confuse the public with misinformation. Where the program button icons go is completely irrelevant with the map in use (and I tried it with all supplied maps in my friend's CD).

Yet again, you are completely wrong - the original query was locking up when dragging the maps across the screen.

This is a quote from Destinator
---------------------------------------------
no PDA device today does **REAL** VGA. neither does destinator software. those who run a sort of "artificial VGA" use an additional software tool which translates into the higher resolution. but that does not work with all applications you put on your PDA.

when PDA with REAL VGA come to market we will have the according resolution. until then we support the original format of the PDA, not of voluntarily installed software tools. the HP 4700 has no real VGA

Another quote from Destinator

I finally got the device today (4700) and installed PN on it. I tried it with the map of Germany first and everything worked flawlessly. Then I switched to the map of UK/Ireland and well, the customer is right. The device was stuck after dragging the map around for a bit.

So until further notice we do have a problem with the HP Ipaq 4700 and the UK map material.

I already sent it out to our software engineers and hopefully will get an answer and/or a solution fairly soon. I'll immediately come back to you then.

Unfortunately for you, I am heavily involved in Destinator and do know what I am talking about. The original issue was that the screen locked up when dragging the maps which has been confirmed as an issue with the UK maps. As for the VGA issues with the icons, whether this is a true fault or just the VGA software not interpreting destinator correctly I couldn't tell you. Destinator are of the opinion that this is a vga software error and not a Destinator error.

...Spence
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Spence

Thanks very much for the information. It's nice to know that Destinator recognize that there is a problem, even it is only with the UK map. I can live with it until perhaps they come up with a fix.

Whilst, I have used my copy of PN in France, Germany and Austria as well as the UK, I'm not sure if I've tried 'dragging' the with those maps loaded. I shall have to give it a try.

On the iPAQ 4700 all the icons etc are corectly positioned on the screen and I think it's actually running in the lower res mode when Destinator is loaded.

At least Destinator can find places. I tried TTN and it could not find the address where my mother has lived for the past 60 years or the hotel or even the road which the hotel is in when I was in Austria. Destinator finds both with no problems at all and navigates correctly to both.
nulusios
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the whole thread was about DPN locking up then yes sorry I am in the wrong thread.

But I read further MISINFORMATION that seems to come from the company itself, I cannot but answer.

NO PDA DEVICE TODAY DOES REAL VGA?

I haven't heard a more stupid quote for quite some time. Since it's not your words but the company's I can say "stupid" (and do not mean you of course).

There are MANY MANY MANY programs already making use of the whole 480x640 WITHOUT any tricks. WM2003SE when in VGA doubles in both directions software unaware of the hi resolution (a trick by OS itself) and there is no problem for a program to be written AWARE of the hi resolution and using it. I can tell you MANY titles that work fine in native VGA without 3rd party tricks.

Now if Destinator wants to ignore the FACT, too bad for THEM (surely not for US). The market is big enough.

The last comment was more because I read this "unfortunately for me". Why would it be unfortunate to me if you are heavily involved with D or not? Since you are "fortunate" enough, feel free to pass them my comments.

Destinator should be native VGA (since THEY COULD) and not reside on childish remarks like "it's the trick's fault not ours" (why use the trick in the first place)...

When they see their sales drop (and not be confused since the market grew in general), you'll see what I mean. Most other mapping software released in 2005 IS VGA compatible.

Anyway, those were my last words for something considered "off topic" as it seems (still a vital Destinator limitation).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: