Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Very strange routing behavious
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Very strange routing behavious

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Very strange routing behavious Reply with quote

If I travel from a location ( call it A) to my home at B. I know the road well and the obvious , most direct, quickest, fastest way is to leave one A road and turn onto a second A road at a point C.

Under TT3 this has always been what it does do, however, recently using TT5 it didn't direct me to turn at C at all instructing me to go on a further 4 miles before making a turn. I followed it out of interest - I was in my car not the MotorCaravan or that would have been disastrous - the route taken was down the narrowest lanes and completely bizarre.

This was the first time I had used TT5 on that route and couldn't explain it at all so when I got home I did a soft restart and , using Advanced Planning' computed the route again from A to B. This time ( in my living room) it computed the route which , correctly turns at B.

At that time I concluded it was a one off and tried to ignore it.

Yesterday while doing the same route home from A I noticed that , again it instructed me to ignore the turning at B sending me a further 6 miles - this time the route chosen was different from the one taken on the earlier occasion.

Again on getting home I recomputed the route from the 'safety' of my easy chair and again, it correctly computed that it would turn at point B.

I a now starting to lose confidence in this product. I have used it since it's early days but TT5 is doing things which are simply illogical.

Is there any explanation for this?

My main gripe about TT5 was the 'upgrading' to remove road speed programming which when I am driving the 'van it makes it dangerous now because I have absolutely no control over that route. Had I been driving the van in an area I was not familiar with - ( the normal mode) then the tendency to send me into narrow roads becomes a MAJOR problem.
stevei
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem in North Yorkshire. As i was on holiday it didn't matter too much, but added to the stress of driving down single lane tracks. I agree that the speed set on the "white roads" is set too high and that TT should have some feedback.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveI

I glad ( in a way) that I am not the only one suffering the lack of flexibility in the routing but have you also seen the phenomena I reported of getting a different route when live in thecar as opposed to sitting in the sofa?

Roy
stevei
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy

Havn't seen that one. But when gong up the M1 i turnt off to Leadsham for some lunchtime refreshment, when i got back onto the M1 at the same point i left it at, the forward journy took a different route the the origonal one. Confused
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevei wrote:
Roy

Havn't seen that one. But when gong up the M1 i turnt off to Leadsham for some lunchtime refreshment, when i got back onto the M1 at the same point i left it at, the forward journy took a different route the the origonal one. Confused

I have seen similar on a couple of occasions. I have been taken off a fast dual carriageway and down narrow country lanes for 20 minutes on the way to a point. On the return journey I was routed via _much_ faster main roads back to the same place where I first left the dual carriageway.

In the menus you have to turn off the 'only favour left turns' option.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan - that sounds much the same but I am confused by the 'solution'.

You said -

'In the menus you have to turn off the 'only favour left turns' option.'

I have TT5 running on a PocketPC - is this the same? if so where on earth dd you find that - what have I missed? Is this a magic source of goodies which solve all known ills?

Roy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: