Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcode Confusion
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcode Confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonymaddocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Postcode Confusion Reply with quote

I am new to TomTom and I hope that this problem of mine is a simple oversight on my part. When giving TomTom an address to navigate to the first piece of information required is “City”…so far so good then it asks for the name of a street. Now if you don’t know the postcode it can be difficult to identify the correct street.

e.g.

City: Llandudno

Street: Clifton Road

The first Clifton Road that you are presented with is actually in Colwyn Bay. The postcodes are similar (One LL29 the other LL30) but 9 miles apart. I would have thought that the Clifton Road nearest Llandudno would be the first one offered. This scenario has nearly caught me out a couple of times. Is there a better way to identify the correct street or is it important to know (at least the first part of) the postcode.

I should add that TomTom is great and provided it is given good information if rewards you with stress free navigation.

Thanks for any help offered.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Postcode Confusion Reply with quote

The street lookup with postcodes needs to be bettered. TomTom were including Postcode search facilities like they have in Europe, but then realised that where European postcodes are numeric, UK are alphanumeric which means searching for them in the data format they have would be an issue, so decided to only list the post codes as you see them now.

It takes quite a bit of mastering, but you do eventually get used to it providing you know the areas that is. Something a number of people have said to me is that they always find they have to find the location they're going to on another map, and then zoom in and set the destination manually. Maybe a little over the top, but this is how I tend to plan most of my routes in most software using AutoRoute at my desk. I must admit I would hate to be a cabby or a courier and have to be forced to use the address search facility.
Colin21
Occasional Visitor

Sorry I cannot give any workround for your problem

I also find the fact that when you enter a Town (City) especially in less populated areas then if you use the wrongpost code of the street TT 2 will override the town setting and use the post code to navigate you to a different town.

I would like Tom Tom to only show Streets that apply to the selected Town as we are often unfamiliar with post code if we are in a strange area.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: