Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - navman icn520 vs tom tom 300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

navman icn520 vs tom tom 300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samsa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: navman icn520 vs tom tom 300 Reply with quote

first timer. I have a choice between TOM TOM 300 AND NAVMAN ICN520. Navman is cheaper but what would be better- any key differences or usp for either. Can't find a comparison or review, and would appreciate some help. Was hoping to but unit today. NEVER OWNED A UNIT.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navman is smaller. It has some better functions, like avoid areas, and some better navigational aids.

TTG300 has Full Postcode navigation. It has better POI loading and better POI warning sounds. Doesn't need ActivSync to load data.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
samsa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom do have features such as avoid areas. Actually it is far better as you have the following facilities under the "Find alternative" menu:

1 -Travel Via - use this if you want to ensure theplanned route passes one particular location., perhaps to collect someone.

2 - Avoid Roadblock - Use if you spot signs of trouble and you will be routed off at the next junction/ available oppertunity

3 - Avoid part of Route - Use if you want to avoid a particular road or junction, usefull if the road is a known blackspot or bottleneck.

4 - Calculate Alternative - Use to get a entirely different route should you not like the planned original.

Finally, lets not forget that Tomtom has probably the best feature - Full 7 digit postcode search facility as opposed to Navmans primitive and woefully outdated 5 digit search facility.
twoten
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also making a comparison between these two products.

Can you make multiple destinations on both products?

Can you import postcode data into the ICN 520 to give 7 digit postcode searches?

Can the speed camera database be imported onto both products?

The other alternative I am considering is a TomTom Bluetooth Navigator 5 with HP iPAQ 2110 Bundle which costs slightly more.
If I go for this how does TT Navigator 5 compare?

Thanks

Keith.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom navigaotr 5 is the same sotware that is on the go300 as tomtom now use a common platform accross the range the advantage of the pocketpc over the go or icn is that if you dont get on with the software its easy to change though is around 100 pounds a time to change buy say navman software or copilot also if you wanted to go walking then you could with a bluetooth receiver and a power pack to keep the battery charged up go walking as well with something like memorymap

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
twoten
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info; I am tending to sway towards the TT software at the moment mainly due to the postcode search. The reason I preferred the Navman was the unit appeared more compact and portable but if I go down the route of a PDA it looks like I can get the best of both worlds, plus I have the other facilities a PDA offers.

As i am swaying towards a PDA can anyone advise on what options to consider within a reasonable budget? I will need something with a reasonable volume as my hearing isn't the greatest with the background noise of a vehicle. It would be useful to transfer to different vehicles should one of my family want to make a journey. Also the idea of using it when on foot could be useful.

Thanks again,

Keith.
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: tomtom v navman Reply with quote

I got a navman icn510 with my car last year, after about 3 months I had loaded Tomtom 5 on it. I have since got a tomtom go and given the navman away. The navman was a bit thinner, but suffered from
slow to lock
crashes
need to reload from pc periodically.
only a single sound for all POI's.

I just like the configurability of the tomtom line, even if the maps aren't quite as good as the Navman, when use in browse mode.
slartybardfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did review - went for TomTom ONE. Fantastic - so far.

Want to help database for Speed cameras - have not found help yet.

Seems better toy than navman. Why? touch screen, easilly available manual to download prior to buying, excellent telephone help, good backup proceedures.

Not quite sure on my other aplications adding Ordinance Survey locations yet. Might have to import as POI - working on it.

Happy bunny

S
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think having a touchscreen is usually a key factor.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think having a touchscreen is definite plus to a gps
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late response I know but just to put the record straight since people may read this before making a decision the Navman ICN 5XX range also have a full touch screen.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: