Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iCN610 510 & 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iCN610 510 & 520

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamFuNgUs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: iCN610 510 & 520 Reply with quote

Hi, i am considering buying the iCN610 (because its the cheapest i can see of the icn range) but i was wondering what is the difference betweent he 610 & 510 also is there any real difference between the 510 & 520. Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this question. Any help would be great.

Thanks
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked a similar question and I haven't had a reply either.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 510 is now superseded by the 520. This series has a built in battery, touch-screen and is based on WinCE , although the OS is hidden from the user. It fits in your pocket. The 520 differs in having newer software and a couple of cosmetic changes.

The 610 is the entry level device in the 6xx range. It has no battery, no touch screen, no 3D and is bigger heavier and tougher. The OS is proprietary.
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my original query and before I open the box I would really appreciate some advice / feedback.

"I'm new to sat nav and just I have just bought an iCN610 ( at a very good price ) but I have a feeling it's now obsolete since Cost Co are selling them for £200. Is the unit any good or should I leave it in its sealed box, resell it and get an iCN510 or Tom Tom Go 300 etc.
Also is this site's speed camera database compatible with the 1CN610.
Finally, the iCN610 only has 2D view. What's the advantage of 3D view over 2D view."

Thanks in advance for any help.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't buy a 610. It lacks some of the premium features of the 'better' models, such as being able to navigate to the nearest POI, etc. As for 3D, some love it, some hate it but my 635 will only show 'Direction Up' in 3D and 'North Up' in 2D. I prefer 'Direction Up' mode, so 3D is a must for me.

If you look on the 610's box and it says that you can import Custom POIs then the $afety Camera Database will work with it; if not, then not.
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Looks like back to eBay!!
foundry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently purchased a 610 and as stated yes, it`s a bit bulkier, it does'nt have 3d mapping or navigate direct to POI but as you've found, it's considerably cheaper than the other models out there. The safety camera database CAN be used with this model. I use the excellent POI edit software found here http://www.dnote.nl/pda/poi/PoiEdit/ which also includes loads of other useful POI's. Navman files need to be in csv format, which POI edit will give you the option to save in.... In my humble opinion, if you travel extensively,sales rep or whatever, then a more expensive model may suit more, (area avoidance for traffic jams etc) but a friend who can cover 300 miles plus per day also has the 610 and thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread ! Go on....open the box........ Twisted Evil[/b]
Quinny1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The safety camera database available on this site,does work with the 610.

I should know,I have one,and update it monthly.

Ken.
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more features, the harder to get familiar with, and how many features can you really use whilst driving ?
I have the iCN610 only 3 Days after seeing the Gamin E-Trex Legend........see how basic that is, however, put me back on track during a recent short trip, then next Day a friend said, "tesco does satnavs?" so I checked on the way home and saw the icN320........that would have been good for me as the internal battery (recharged from the car accessory socket) would allow me to walk the streets of a strange town, and still find my way back to the underground carpark, However I did not see a USB/serial connection so when I got home I checked a few sites and then visited Currys next Day to see the same model, but sat next to it was the iCN610 at a few pennys under £170. I went home and checked the internet again, looked good so went back to buy. Points..........Its big and easy to use, clear to see in bright daylight, has other functions that are more important in keeping points off your licence, ie GPS Speed sensor! can be updated Firmware and software, need I go on!
I love it, just hope whatever decision you take, you look back and find it was the right one.
have you got a computer, the last thing you bought for that would have been out of date before you opened the wrapper.
Ive also got a Cobra ESD 9550 Radar Detector for £70 brand new? They still command prices over £200.00 GBP in the UK and if you know their limitations, and drive with caution, who knows, you may keep a clean licence like mine from A to E all classes and no points. Some will still say, just dont speed, but what if you in a line of traffic following the `flow` and every one is breaking the speed! Dont think these new cameras will pick out just the odd driver here and there. You dont even know that some cameras exist, and buy the time you got back from your holiday, there could be a nice photo montage of your mugshot / number plate taken from the various SPECS/GATSO/LITE20/20 ect
As a proud owner of the iCN610 I can safely say I have got a bargain that does what I need it to do and so far with great effect. Next time you check out a map with all the GATSO`s marked, just look up at the North/North East Scotland and see how few we have. Does`nt mean that were better drivers up here(although looking at some!!) Just means more un-marked cars with their loud sirens and blue strobes. Again if you dont attract attention and have a good look out, you`ll see them!
Take care
Chas

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: