Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps, maps, and yet more maps...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps, maps, and yet more maps...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theminor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Maps, maps, and yet more maps... Reply with quote

... why's it so freakin difficult! On the TT website they sell MoWE as being "Major Routes", but when you click product details tab it says "Navigate to any address within a country using detailed regional maps, or use the larger maps to navigate across borders to any town or major road using the European major road network". 149 Euros, whatever they are 8) . So which is it - do you get major roads only by buying MoWE, or do you get street level detail?
If it IS street level, why do they also sell the *individual* country maps at 99 of these Euro thingies to travel " travel door-to-door in the chosen region, as well as navigating crossborder to any town or major road in Europe"? Aint those two descriptions the same?
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Maps, maps, and yet more maps... Reply with quote

theminor wrote:
... why's it so freakin difficult! On the TT website they sell MoWE as being "Major Routes", but when you click product details tab it says "Navigate to any address within a country using detailed regional maps, or use the larger maps to navigate across borders to any town or major road using the European major road network". 149 Euros, whatever they are 8) . So which is it - do you get major roads only by buying MoWE, or do you get street level detail?
If it IS street level, why do they also sell the *individual* country maps at 99 of these Euro thingies to travel " travel door-to-door in the chosen region, as well as navigating crossborder to any town or major road in Europe"? Aint those two descriptions the same?

MoWE and MRE are not the same thing, but they are related by Plus maps (see below).
MoWE are supplied on a set of 6 CDs - so you need to supply your own SD card and copy selected maps onto it. MRE is just main roads etc. - for the whole of Europe - in a separate map. This used to come bundled with early TTG's (Classics) and was supplied on CD only.

The maps on the MoWE CDs are Plus maps - each of which is a detailed street level map of a single country or region, integrated with MRE in a single map. So if you use the detailed map for your destination country, you can start your journey on a main road anywhere in Europe and not have to change map. You get detailed maps of 16 (I think) countries in the set for your 149 Euros.

The individual country maps for 99 Euros are (AIUI) Plus maps and are supplied on SD cards - so you just plug them into TTG and away you go, without having to copy them from CD. In my view, you are paying through the nose for the (alleged) convenience - because blank SD cards are ten a penny these days. I say alleged because - not having a CD - you have no backup, so you still have to connect to a PC to back the card up unless you are prepared to risk losing everything..

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
theminor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this

http://www.villagegps.com/produit1D90010.aspx
which has what *appears* to be (my French is awful Embarassed ) MoWE for 89 Eurothingies, or in Earth money sixty one and a bit quids. Sounds cheap?
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theminor wrote:
found this

which has what *appears* to be (my French is awful Embarassed ) MoWE for 89 Eurothingies, or in Earth money sixty one and a bit quids. Sounds cheap?

BEWARE - they're almost certainly the previous version which are even more out of date than the latest ones. They will not be Plus maps (i.e. will not be integrated with MRE) and are on only 4 CDs instead of 6. If you buy these, you'll end up paying a lot more - is it 59 Euros? - to upgrade them, so with carriage included you'll not be any better off.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
theminor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
theminor wrote:
found this

BEWARE - they're almost certainly the previous version which are even more out of date than the latest ones. They will not be Plus maps (i.e. will not be integrated with MRE) and are on only 4 CDs instead of 6. If you buy these, you'll end up paying a lot more - is it 59 Euros? - to upgrade them, so with carriage included you'll not be any better off.

I dont think I *have* MRE to integrate with - I have a GO300 and from my interpretation of earlier posts the MRE thingy only came with earlier versions? Theres certainly nothing on my GO that looks like it'll help once I reach the white cliffs...
But I get your point, presuming it still applies. These'll be older maps. The last thing that puzzles me is this Plus business - apart from having a Plus-able machine (yup, apparently the 300 is) do I have to subscribe to a Plus service in order to use MoWE, even if I bought it direct from TT?
Apologies for being thick...
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps of Western Europe on 6 CDs have two maps for each country. You can choose the country itself. Or you can choose the "plus" map.

If you buy the CD set and choose the GB map you will get exactly what you already have on your 300. If you choose the GB Plus map you will have the same map of Gb with the major roads of the rest of Europe on the same map. You will be able to navigate from your house to anywhere in western Europe, but once you cross the channel there will be less detail.

The recommendation is that you load the Plus map of your destination country (eg Italy). You can then use one map, Italy Plus, which will navigate you via the main roads of Europe through France Germany Switzerland etc. which are the roads you would probably use anyway.

As soon as you get to Italy the same map will show more detail. You can then use the detail to find your hotel in some side street.

The number of maps you have depend only on the size of the SD card that you buy.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theminor wrote:
The last thing that puzzles me is this Plus business - apart from having a Plus-able machine (yup, apparently the 300 is) do I have to subscribe to a Plus service in order to use MoWE, even if I bought it direct from TT?
Apologies for being thick...

All the new GO's are Plus Enabled. The Plus service from TomTom allows you to download all sorts of so called 'goodies'.

The Plus maps are different to the Plus service found on TomTom's website.

All the Plus in the maps does is give you europe wide Major Roads navigation. GB is only GB. GB Plus is GB with intergrated MRE.

To use a Plus map you will first of all have to get a bigger SD card and then buy and but the MOWE map set. Or you can buy SD card's from TomTom for a country complete with intergrated Plus map.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theminor wrote:
I dont think I *have* MRE to integrate with - I have a GO300 and from my interpretation of earlier posts the MRE thingy only came with earlier versions?

You don't have any Plus maps at the moment - but you will have if you buy the latest MoWE set - but not if you buy the previous version.

The fact that you're interested in MoWE suggests that you intend to drive overseas - in which case it's very useful to be able to do a journey through several countries without changing maps - which the MRE integrated into the latest Plus maps enables you to do.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: