Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM NAVIGATOR 3 WITH DELL AXIM X5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM NAVIGATOR 3 WITH DELL AXIM X5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nearlylost
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi my same model axim works fine tt5 works better than tt3 although others may disagree. Are you using the compact flash card? I found this best If the sd card is used the faster ones are better
dsizeland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Dell X5 with tt3 and it works fine most of the time. I don't need to soft reset it too often.
I started with a cf card, but am now using a Kingston 256MB Elite Pro high speed sd card which works very well.
The X5 is very fussy about sd cards, but the high speed ones seem to be better.
nearlylost
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the cf card to be better why not try reformatting it before spending cash
deep_south
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Are you up to date? Reply with quote

I bought the X5 and Tomtom wired GPS "bundle" from Dell last year, and the CF card included would just hang. In the end Dell gave me another, and it was just the same. So I bought an SD card that worked fine.

Then I discovered there was a bios update for accessing the CF card - I applied that and the CF card then worked fine.

I have now upgraded to TTN5, and have the GB+ maps on the SD card, and France and Benelux on CF, and they all work fine.

So check the Dell website for updates....

Cheers, Peter
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nearlylost wrote:
Hi my same model axim works fine tt5 works better than tt3 although others may disagree. Are you using the compact flash card? I found this best If the sd card is used the faster ones are better

In benchmark tests, I've found that on my Axim 3 that the quoted speed of the card makes almost no difference to the read time but a faster card can make a 10x difference in the write speed. Changing the FAT system and/or cluster size make little difference to the read time indicating that the Axim PDA is the limiting factor and not the card. I've also found that the size of the SD card makes little difference. Perhaps all the cards I've bought in the last two years have all been of the faster type?

As most of the information on the card is maps and POI databases etc. it the read characteristics that are important.

Using the same hardware, I've found that TT3 was more stable than TT5.

TT5 has a lot more bugs than I saw with TT3

IMO, apart forom the accuracy of the maps, TT3 is a better designed product for road navigation. However I can see why a lot of people are fooled by 'eye candy' speeded up map scrolling which seems to have introduced short term problems with reporting the position of the car.

Although not bugs, it is evident that little thought has been given to the default colours for items such as the compass and some of the information screens where two similar colours have been used - blue on blue or green on green.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: