Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Intresting Idea for Updating Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Intresting Idea for Updating Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS-Master
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Intresting Idea for Updating Database Reply with quote

Hi,
Im new here so go easy on me. Heres my idea:
As you may know, the Freedom of Information act has made it necessary for police forces to give the location of all their speed cameras. Could we not use this data to possibily get 100% coverage?
My very own local police force, West Midlands Police, in fact show you on a map where each camera is and you can then zoom in a link to streetmap.co.uk. You may be thinking, so what damnit, we need GPS Positions. Well the zoomed in map gives you the Ordinance survey positions, which can easily be converted to GPS locations using thier very own site.

http://www.wmsafetycameras.co.uk/regions.php

http://www.gps.gov.uk/ - coordinate converter

Streetmap

What do you guys think?
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the links. I have extracted data from such websites in the past and believe me it is a very, very tedious task. Also the sites are not always up to date.

There is no need to use OSGB references with Streetmap because if you scroll down the page you will see a link via the word here to a conversion page. On that page you will see the coordinates in decimal degrees and these are the values that I prefer for database updates.

If you do send in data from a website database then please make it clear that the positions have not been recorded by yourself using a GPS system.

Richard
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past ive written PHP scripts which have spidered pages with MultiMap links and used the information on pagex and the multimap page to generate a Comma Delimited File which can be imported directly into PIOedit.

Works a treat you just have to look for common patterns in the HTML source.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplugged wrote:
In the past ive written PHP scripts which have spidered pages with MultiMap links and used the information on pagex and the multimap page to generate a Comma Delimited File which can be imported directly into PIOedit.

Works a treat you just have to look for common patterns in the HTML source.

Thank you for the information. I'm afraid that I don't have any time to program it as I am busy processing safety camera updates :D Are there any general programs that I could use to extract data from html files without creating a PHP script of my own Question Also the location of a safety camera may just be a pointer on a map so there would not be anything in the html that gives the coordinates of the point.

I have Spb Weather on my PDA and it lets you create templates to extract weather data from html pages - very neat.
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup the information is a bit poor in that respect

Ive used it to make PIO categorys of my own the trouble is it takes a bit of customisation for each page unless your just looking for Multimap links as you have to extract some infomration to go with that link (place name or other).

Still reading all the TBA cams into a database and having an Online Speed submission as people find them shouldent be too difficault. Ive reported most of the missing ones round here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: