Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Building a POI database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Building a POI database
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpkeates
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Building a POI database Reply with quote

I have a lot of data (about 9,000 addresses) that I want to build into a POI database, without driving to each location and getting the co-ordinates.
For obvious reasons.

I have an accurate postcode for each,
but not a longitude / latitude reading.

Is there any way of converting a postcode to a longitude / latitude reading.

I appreciate that this isn't going to be pin point accurate, but the locations are quite large.
They're buildings, so getting pretty close would probably be OK.
Unlike, say, speed cameras.
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You could use Streetmap.co.uk, which is what I use for creating POI's. If you input the postcode, it will convert it to all manner of things for you, including longitude/latitude.

HTH. Thumbs Up

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could try my CodeSearch program in the Downloads area. The postcode files are not complete but it should give you a good start.
MK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know any Java? I have written a little app that will generate a CSV file with Lat Long and the Name (which can be converted using "makeov2"). It will perform Postcode -> Lat Long lookups for you, so it would be little effort to write an application to do the conversion automatically.

It's not quite ready to be published yet, but it's close!

Will notify the forum once I have finished it.
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: try this Reply with quote

This may help
http://www.tomtom.com/support/ce/support/nav_poi.php
is the database of anything interesting?if so can I have a copy?
Mark
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Code Search" files on the Points of Interest download page on this site contain what you want.

They're in ov2 format (i.e. TomTom POI files), so you'd first want to convert them to text files. One tool for doing this ("ov2tools") is freely available on TomTom's website. This gives you a load of long text files looking like this:

Code:
; Longitude,    Latitude, "Name"
; ========== ============ =====================================
  -2.81497 ,   53.25082 , "WA6 0LS"
  -2.80256 ,   53.24204 , "WA6 0NY"

You could then extract just the postcode lines you want and put all of those into one text file. And finally, use ov2tools again on this text file to create your very own POI file of just the 9,000 post codes you want.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry,

My CodeSearch program uses the George Spanellis CodeSearch OV2 files and makes it easy for you to extract a subset of postcodes that interest you. Then you can save them as a TomTom POI overlay for use with TTN3 and TTGo.

Also in the downloads area http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=22 is a Windows version of the TomTom ov2tools called WinOV2 which you may find more user friendly :D

Richard
jpkeates
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Points of Interest Reply with quote

Quote:
You could try my CodeSearch program in the Downloads area.
Trying this now.

Quote:
is the database of anything interesting?if so can I have a copy?
Its a directory of motor repairers who repair company cars. Not sure that it qualifies as interesting!
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oldie

Sorry for clouding the issue!

Have just downloaded some of your tools. I found the WinOV2 interface slightly odd at first but did then get the hang of it. The POIConvertor program is great - has given me an easy way to put TomTom POIs into OziExplorer waypoints, so many thanks for that.

Barry
jpkeates
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Mostly Done Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help.

I have converted the post code files into an access database, cross referred all my POIs, exported and converted with WinOV2.

So I now have about 8000 of them in an OV2 file.

I have a bmp icon with the same name as the OV2 file, but it isn't being used as the icon in Tom Tom Navigator. What am I missing?
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryd wrote:
Hi Oldie

Sorry for clouding the issue!

Have just downloaded some of your tools. I found the WinOV2 interface slightly odd at first but did then get the hang of it. The POIConvertor program is great - has given me an easy way to put TomTom POIs into OziExplorer waypoints, so many thanks for that.

Barry

Yes I agree about the WinOV2 interface being a bit odd Embarassed My only excuse is that it was the first converter that I wrote and I was trying to keep the functionality of the original TomTom utilities MakeOV2 and DumpOV2 apparent. I use POIConverter now :D

Richard
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mostly Done Reply with quote

jpkeates wrote:
Thanks for all the help.

I have converted the post code files into an access database, cross referred all my POIs, exported and converted with WinOV2.

So I now have about 8000 of them in an OV2 file.

I have a bmp icon with the same name as the OV2 file, but it isn't being used as the icon in Tom Tom Navigator. What am I missing?

Both the OV2 and BMP files must be in your current map folder. Also make sure that you restart TomTom Navigator if the GPS icon is showing on the toolbar at the bottom of the Today screen, ie use File | Exit on the TTN Map screen.

The only other likely fault is the number of colours being used for the icon. Did you create the icon yourself?
Janice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: POSTCODES? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Hope some kind person can help me.

Am to infer from these messages that you can only use full postcodes on TomTom Go if you put them in from a database yourself?
This seems to defeat the object a bit, surely you want to put in a postcode to find a place. We have a delivery business and need to travel in all of London and also anywhere else in England. Does this mean I need to put in all the postcodes in London just in case I ever need to punch one in to find a place? 8O
I am able to put in the first half of a postcode, but that just usually gives you a whole town and isnt very specific. The road I live on is in the countryside and doesnt have a name even!
I suppose there couldn't be a database containing all teh UK postcodes or it wouldnt fit on the sd card - is that the problem?

Thanks, Janice
jpkeates
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What am I missing?
Some IQ points.
I had copied the wrong file.

All done.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Janice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my last message, I installed some of the postcode databases which you spoke about Oldie, and they work fine in TomTom Go!

However, we suddenly have star symbols keep coming up along whichever route we take, even if we have not punched a route in (if you see what I mean) does anyone know what these are?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: