Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5 Advanced Planning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5 Advanced Planning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: TTN5 Advanced Planning Reply with quote

TTN5 Advanced Planning

Firstly, I think that this item has been wrongly translated from the original language. Rather than "Advanced Planning" implying a more advanced form of planning it should have been translated as "Advance Planning" meaning to plan in advance.

This would make more sense since there is nothing advanced about it, it merely allows you to plan a route in advance without a GPS fix.

Without a GPS fix this allows you to set a departure and destination and it then calculates the route, when you tap on the Done button it returns you to the 3D screen where you can enter the menus once again and select Find Alternatives to modify the route. However, having done all of this, you are then given no opportunity to save all of your hard work.

With a GPS fix the Advanced Planning (Advance Planning) functions quite differently. You set a departure and destination and it then calculates the route. However, when you tap on the Done button it returns you to the 3D screen and promptly starts to recalculate the route from your current position to the destination completely ignoring the departure point you had set. It doesn't even use the original departure point as an intermediate waypoint, it just ignores it.

This is certainly not advanced planning, and only a poor excuse for planning in advance.

This means that if I have a GPS fix and use Advanced Planning (Advance Planning) to plan a route for an overseas trip, say from Nice to Marseille, it calculates the route but as soon as I tap Done it then starts calculating the 1500 mile route from my location in the UK to Marseille, completely ignoring the fact that the journey should have included Nice. Then of course you can't save the route, but what would be the point anyway?

The more I use this application the more it seems to be poorly thought out and even more poorly implemented.

Roger
peat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to post about exactly the same thing.
Is there no way of saving a route before travelling on it
without a gps fix?

I was planning on sorting out all my routes for my holiday and saving them so they were ready for when I was there.
But at the moment I havent figured out how to do that, Ive even looked at a friends Navigon Navigator to see if thats any better but that program went mental when I tried to drive a pre planned route.
It ignored where I was even though my gps fix was at waypoint one and when I drove off it would keep telling me to turn back to waypoint one!!

I cant believe people designing these programs can be this stupid.
(Unless it's me being thick of course, then I take it all back Smile
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to divert too far from the topic but I found Navigon a lot better in this respect. The trick is to make sure the first waypoint is a little way ahead of your current position. If it coincides or is slightly behind then it tries to route you back towards it. At least you can save the itinerary.

Roger
peat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh
nice plan. I will have to nick it back off him for another go Smile
peat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried that idea this morning, but again it kept pointing me back to the 1st waypoint.

Back on topic I managed to get tt5 to save my itinery plans today
only problem was I couldnt see the calculated route first as you need a gps signal for that.
At least you can save the plans though which is a start.
Rogerland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to run an itinerary without having a current GPS signal.

When you turn on TT5 and go to the satelite status your Longitude and Latitude will be all zero's. If you go outside and obtain a valid GPS signal it will then display your current position.

If you then disconnect your gps reciever and go back inside, as long as you do not turn off TTN5 your last position will be displayed. If you try and run an itinerary it will work from your last known position, and keep on working without a valid signal.

I know that this is not as good as TTN3 but it is a possible work around until they resolve the issue, if they ever do. Rolling Eyes
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is that I'm trying to plan some routes in France, so a GPS position obtained while I'm still in UK is no use.
I have given up and planned my routes using TT3. A thought occurred to me as I was typing this.....I know that you can't run TT3 maps on TT5, but is it possible to use routes planned on TT3 on TT5???
I will have to use Explore on Active Sync, to see if I can copy the TT3 routes I have stored and drop them into TT5
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My problem is that I'm trying to plan some routes in France, so a GPS position obtained while I'm still in UK is no use.

That's the problem exactly. You need to be able to use a distant GPS location as a departure point.

I have found a solution to that, it needs a copy of GpsGate Standard, not the free Express version unfortunately.

Using GpsGate Standard use the simulation facility and enter the Lat/Lon of the required departure point. Set the speed to zero and start the simulation. Set TTN5 to access the simulated departure point and that's it.

The Lat/Lon points can be obtained from TTN5 by saving the departure point as an itinerary file.

It's not particularly elegant and it's a bit of a pain but if you really want then it does the job.

Far better to wait (hope) that TomTom provides a solution.

Roger
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you use Advanced Planning move to the second page and click on "point on map" does that not work? It seems to work between 2 points on the GB map.

Works on all maps but how do you save it for future use?

Roger
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
I have given up and planned my routes using TT3. A thought occurred to me as I was typing this.....I know that you can't run TT3 maps on TT5, but is it possible to use routes planned on TT3 on TT5???
I will have to use Explore on Active Sync, to see if I can copy the TT3 routes I have stored and drop them into TT5
Robin

If you use Advanced Planning move to the second page and click on "point on map" does that not work? It seems to work between 2 points on the GB map.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 problems using Advanced Planning in TT5

1. You can only have one waypoint. If you try to insert another waypoint it will overwrite the first. Most of the itineraries I use require several waypoints.

2. Having determined a route, you can't save it for future use.

Neither of these problems occurs with Itinerary planning in TT3

Robin
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
A thought occurred to me as I was typing this.....I know that you can't run TT3 maps on TT5, but is it possible to use routes planned on TT3 on TT5???
Robin

I tried it and planned some routes in France using TT3. I copied these itineraries and pasted them in the TomTom Navigator folder in TT5 (where all the TT5 itineraries are stored) But when I clicked on Load Itinerary in TT5, it didn't see the TT3 itineraries.
Oh well, back to the drawing board
Robin
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I copied these itineraries and pasted them in the TomTom Navigator folder in TT5 (where all the TT5 itineraries are stored)

Is that the itn folder. Where is yours located? Mine isn't in the Navigator folder.

Roger
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I looked for where the routes I had planned in TT5 were located, and I found them in a folder called TomTom Navigator.
Robin
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo-thanks Linknet!
I copied the TT3 itineraries into the itn folder, and TT5 was able to read them!
So I can test them out at home and make sure that they do what I want, using TT3, and then use them in France with TT5 - brilliant! That will do very nicely until TomTom fix the Itinerary function in TT5 (if ever!)
Robin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: