Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman GPS1000 and TomTom 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman GPS1000 and TomTom 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheels
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman GPS1000 and TomTom 2 Reply with quote

Has anyone got a Navman GPS1000 to work with TomTOm 2?

I've got a Toshiba e570 & Navman GPS1000.

Can't get TomTom2 to work with it...

Tried eveything, using old Smartpath driver etc, but no luck, can't find any drivers on their own for GPS1000, seems like very poor support from Navman, they should have just the drivers alone on their website, but alas no.

Anyone managed to figure out a workaround?

I've tried what people have suggested for the GPS3000, but this does work for the 1000

Thanks

Wheels
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman GPS1000 and TomTom 2 Reply with quote

Navman's past support for the 1000 has been far from good. The Navman 1000 does need a specific driver installed, and because of that, you can't install it into a laptop and use it .

I would contact Navman Support and ask if there's any specific drivers you need installed to use it with other GPS Software. Afterall, there's nothing to say you can't use it with other software. There is a GPS Driver I believe you need to install, but I'm not sure if it's the same one as the 3000 sleeve uses.

Does SmartPath still work ? The reason I ask is that SmartPath is a rebadged version of TomTom RoutePlanner and TomTom CityMaps, and they use the same GPS drivers, but obviously much older than the current ones with Navigator.
Wheels
Occasional Visitor

I uninstalled all software. Then put on smartpath, just to make sure that it is still working, as it worked fine before I tried an install of Tom Tom 2.

And... its doesn't work. When I put in the GPS1000, it says 'Unrecognised card'. Hmmm it worked fine before.

It must have something to do with putting TomTom2 on there, and the uninstall not unistalling some GPS drivers.

Not good, now none of them work..

Tom Tom does say that ver 2 should work with GPS1000, but I've now spent many hours of trying different configurations & its well frustrating!

Maybe I need to do a hard reset?

Any help appreciated

Wheels
Dave
Frequent Visitor

If you are getting an unrecognised card, there is an underlying driver that needs to be installed (like the Navman 3000 driver) which sits below the TomTom Drivers to allow TomTom to talk to the device. TomTom's drivers in the status screen really aren't drivers like you or I know them where they interface between software and hardware, all they do is select the preferred com port and baud rate to talk on, so what you need is the hardware driver for the 1000.

If SmartPath was installed, and you verified that unplugging and plugging the 1000 back in worked and you could get a sat fix, then you should just be able to install TomTom Navigator 2 over the top of this, and it should work.

Failing that I would suggest contacting Navman or TomTom as you might need a specific hardware driver to get it to work. (hence the error you're seeing)
Wheels
Occasional Visitor

Dave...

Thanks for your help... now i realise i'm a fool. Having hard reset my PDA and installing SmartPath and still getting unrecognised card metinks something is up... and it is!

Compact flash cards can fit in back to front! Well silly, i would have thought they could only go in 1 way, but alas they fit in both ways..

So I reset everything, put on TomTom2, selected GPS1000, and voila, it all works swimmingly.

So, no need for other drivers etc.

Thanks for all your help, but there is no cure for my stoopidity.

Wheels
Dave
Frequent Visitor

That's strange, normally CF cards are either keyed, or thicked one edge to stop this thing from happening. Maybe the 1000 is different in this respect, glad to see you're back working though!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: