Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile or PDA?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile or PDA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SalTheWop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Mobile or PDA? Reply with quote

OK, heres the deal. I know nothing about GPS systems. I have ordered a Mio 168 PDA which should turn up this morning. After reading this site I discovered that I can use my mobile for GPS (Nokia 6680) . OK, I MAY use the PDA for other things, but that will be more just to get some use out of it, rather than it being necessary.
Main use for GPS will be for when on holiday in Europe .Would I be better off sending the PDA back?Difference in price is not that great really.I will need a rs dv mmc for the nokia at a cost of around £70 plus a bluetooth receiver at what? between £70 and £100?( I have the SD cards for the PDA ) PDA is £209

I have read though that some receivers dont work with the 6680 and some do. I assume I have to open the software to find out? which leads to me not being able to send it back right if it doesnt work right?
Any help or advice is much appreciated?

PS I assume there is more choice of software with PDAs?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should ask that as I'm having the same thought at the moment. I already had TomTom5 for PDA but bought it for my mobile too, intending to use it when I'm out walking instead.

But since I've got a car mount for my phone I'm wondering if I actually need the PDA at all now! The screen seems just as visible, and the whole thing is less intrusive into the car than the PDA. Plus I really need to have a car mount for the phone anyway so using the PDA I need two mounts Confused

I guess it really depends on your personal circumstances. If you have day to day use for a PDA it might be useful to use that, personally I don't have a use for one so it sits in the car until I need it, whereas my phone is with me all the time.

Remember that if you get TomTom Mobile for your Nokia it will come with a GPS receiver, so you don't need that part of the Mio anyway.

One of the most important issues I think for in car use is power, and where it is going to come from! Depending on your car this may favour either the PDA or Phone solution.

At the moment I'm leaning towards switching to using the phone and perhaps selling my PDA + car mount + wired GPS. But it all depends if the vent mount I got keeps working!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: