Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Plugging in external antenna.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Plugging in external antenna.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sealion
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Plugging in external antenna. Reply with quote

Having to use the external antenna from Navman, because my car has an Athermic windscreen, I am increasing worried about the constant plugging in and out of the antenna MMCX connector. I am getting the feeling that the socket is already becoming loose and eventually the end will not click in securely. Anybody have any comments or similar experience?
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right to be concerned. I suspect that the mmcx connectors are usually installed on equipment where it is not expected to be removed on a regular basis. I too have noticed that the connection seems to be becoming looser, and whereas I used to use the external aerial all the time, now only use it when in rural tree covered areas or when driving through central London due to all the high rise building reflections.
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed the same with using the external antenna with my PiN 300, but have been fairly unconcerned with it. Having just had a good close look at the mmcx connections is that on the antenna end, you will find a small 'circlip' like split ring that cause it to 'lock' into the nav unit connection. I suspect that this split ring is actually losing its 'springiness' due to the 'ins' and 'outs' and hence the locking does seem less firm (causing slight movement).

This was fairly standard with connectors of many years past that used a similar coupling mechanisms. They never seemed to fail.

I note that the actual connection of the 'male' and 'female' connectors part seems very solid and personally am not too worried.

I suspect if you could find the specification sheets from the manufacturers of these connectors you would find that they have a rating of connect cycles being in the 10's of 1000's. By then I shall have renewed my nav unit many times over, and it won't be of any consequence.

Best Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
Daytona
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In situations where I'm concerned about regular plugging in and out of equipment, I tend to find an extension cable and leave that plugged into the item and use the extended socket for the constant disconnections. Then if the connection gets worn, it's just another cheap(ish) extension lead...
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To use Daytona's method to maximise the savings on connector wear, you will really need 2 extension cables and use the join between the extensions as the break point, otherwise the antenna end connector will receive just as much wear as without the extension (assuming other end extension connected to unit). But if you are concerned with the wear then Daytona's method will protect the unit's connector and then the antenna and / or extension are the cheapest components to replace.

Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that someone probably markets an mcx to mmcx converter plug, and vice versa. Thus this would cover all the options.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: