Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - complete novice needs yer help !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

complete novice needs yer help !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dufus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: complete novice needs yer help ! Reply with quote

last week, purchased Yakumo Delta 300 ( same as mitac Mio 168 ) and separately TT Nav 5 pre-loaded on a 128 SD card.

First question, how do I back up the card. My laptop has an SD slot but when I try to open or explore the card, it just says that the card is not formatted, and would I like to format it.

Secondly, ( and the reason why I want to back it up ) , I want to download the single speed camera version but there's only 1.90mb space left on the card. Will this be enough or am I better off backing up the current card to my hard drive ( please explain how ! ), and copying it all onto the blank 256mb card I now have, and then adding the speedcam download.

Any help much appreciated. Great site, found loads of useful stuff on here so far.

Cheers
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dufus,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

Some laptops that have an SD card slot are unable to read all SD cards. You’re better off getting a multi function (SD, CF, MMC, Smartmedia, Sony Stick, etc) card reader/writer, which will do the job.

If you already have a spare SD card then use it, however at today’s prices you might as well go for the largest SD card that you can justify the expense for. Value Flash is my preferred storage card supplier – you may get cards slightly cheaper elsewhere but Value Flash give very good advice and if your card doesn’t work then their support is second to none.

To copy the contents of your original card to a larger one, create a new folder on your laptop, copy the entire contents of the original card (including read-only and hidden files) to the new folder on your laptop and then copy the contents of the folder to the new card.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
dufus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks for the reply but the card slot on the laptop reads other SD cards without a problem, I just wasn't sure if the Tom Tom one is protected to stop people copying them. I wouldn't be too worried if they'd supplied the map on a back up disk but all I got was the manual on CD and the usual authentication card and quick set up guides etc.

I think I'll try the activ sync on my home pc later to see if i can copy the contents of the card that way.

Thanks again.
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dufus wrote:

I think I'll try the activ sync on my home pc later to see if i can copy the contents of the card that way.

Thanks again.

Hi Dufus
Following the advise already given above will stand you in good stead. A couple of points to bare in mind.

1) Always backup the sd card as per when you received it - as suggested, make a directory on the laptop to hold the backup copy. Additionaly, if possible burn a cd or dvd with that backup. Sooner or later, you will probably want to add some of the 'goodies' like safetycamera POIs etc. NEVER modify or work on the backup copy - that must be kept intact exactly as received from the manufacturers - always use a 'working' copy...

2) Using ActiveSync will (or should) do the job for you. However, getting a seperate 'card reader' (USB2) will increase the speed of data transfer dramatically. IE I installed my buddies UK map on his pda via the ActiveSynch which too approx 30 minutes (If i remember right) but when I did it again using a usb2 card reader, it steamed in and took less than a minute!

Regards
dufus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thought about the active sync but then I'd read elsewhere that it can be rather slow, so followed the advice and bought a card reader for about £11. Superb bit of kit for the money. Duly copied my original TT5 card to hard drive, and CD and to a 512mb SD card which to which I've now added the PGPSW speed camera software ( which was easy enough to do ). All in all, excellent advice from you guys, and feel much happier now that I've got back up copies. I've just kept the original TT5 SD card in the spare card slot on the PDA case, in case of emergency but from now on I'll work off the 512mb card. One point though, I tried to copy the original to a 256mb card and it keeps saying no maps found, even though it's an exact copy from the original card. Could it be a defective card ? It shows the Great Britain map along with all the TT application folders when I browse the card but it's not recognising the map when I put it into the PDA and activate the Tom Tom. Any ideas ?

Cheers all !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: