Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - use specific motorway
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

use specific motorway

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: use specific motorway Reply with quote

Apologies if this is somewhere in FAQ but I can't find anything on search...
There must be a technique to tell it to use a specific motorway or named road but I'm blowed if I can find it! E.g. I have tried setting rest areas from the POI as way points but it then goes into the rest area itself, and there are some sections with no suitable rest area...
Steve L
Jim-Bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let it plan the route the way it wants then go to navigate via point on map then select the motorway you wana go down.
bmwman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-Bob wrote:
Let it plan the route the way it wants then go to navigate via point on map then select the motorway you wana go down.

Absolutely - but you'll need to focus/zoom in tightly to the motorway/junction in question to select your Point on the Map. Setting Waypoints when zoomed out is just as likely to pick up the wrong side of the road, or the exit slip coming the other way so it routes you many miles around the countryside to ensure you go smack bang through the Waypoint.
benlast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... don't come across many other people with the surname "Last", so I definitely need to help if I can!

Do a normal "navigate to". Then go to "browse map" and locate the road/motorway you want to travel via. Be sure to select the road itself, not a location close to it. You'll know you've done that when the road/motorway turns green to show it's selected. Click the "cloverleaf" icon and choose "travel via". Now your route will travel via that road.

ben
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you goto http://www.dirksoft.co.uk/tom_tom_go.htm you will find a POI compendium. In there is a Motorway junction POI which covers Motorways and Ax(M) roads.

Originally created for Breakdown Recovery it lists the points to join any Motorway at a particular junction and travel N,E,W or S, ie. M1 19N or M4 17W.

I've had no complaints, yet, so it must be OK. Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
slast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that, folks....
I am finding it a bit frustrating that it seems to recalculate from scratch every time one adds a new "via", and throws away all previous waypoints, but I guess I will figure something out. The references to the existing POI lists are very helpful, thanks again
Steve
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slast wrote:
Quote:
I am finding it a bit frustrating that it seems to recalculate from scratch every time one adds a new "via", and throws away all previous waypoints,

If you use 'navigate to' you are limited to one waypoint (travel via). If you want multiple waypoints just use 'itinerary' planner instead.

steve J

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: