Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go 300 new SD 1GB data transfer for a NOOB
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go 300 new SD 1GB data transfer for a NOOB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timdyson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go 300 new SD 1GB data transfer for a NOOB Reply with quote

Hi Guys
I am a complete Noob to this, i have just bought a 1GB SD card for my tt go 300 and need to know how to transfer my data off the original 128 mb card and be able to put it back in the tom tom go 300 and it accept it, i am having major problems, this is a heavy bag man!!!!!. Thanks in advance for any help, cheers.
Tim Crying or Very sad
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, you will need to connect your TTG, with the 128 card in it, to a PC with the USB lead. If you have a card reader you can use that and it's quicker.

Then using My Computer (or Windows Explorer) select the TomTom card, use Copy and then Paste into a temp location on your PC. It will take sometime because of the map size.

When you are sure the transfer of data is complete, it is better to use 'Safely Remove Hardware' to clear the USB line, then remove the 128 card.

Now replace with 1GB card. It recommended to format the card first and then do the reverse of the Copy/Paste. Select the backup on the PC and Copy then Paste to the new card.

When you are sure the transfer of data is complete, use 'Safely Remove Hardware' to clear the USB line.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
JoeJordan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim
I had the same problem and found the only thing that worked for me was to use the Tom Tom unit to format the new card and not my card reader.
I also copied to the new card through the Tom Tom.
Hope this helps
matt748
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy,
I will be doing this next week when my 512 card arrives. Sorry to sound a bit thick, but how do you format the card before putting the data onto it?
Is it done through the TT, or the PC?
Many thanks,
Matt
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it with the card in the TTG. From Windows just Right-Click the TTG drive and select format.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
timdyson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: bleedin cant copy to new card still!!!! Reply with quote

Hi Guys
I have tried everything u all are saying, time after time, it looks like the files have copied across to the new 1gb sd card but when i put my new 1gb card into the tomtomgo 300 it shows the diagram of the ttg300 shoving the card out again and a big red cross comes up over the card, what the hell is going on HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tim
timdyson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: tomtom go300 Reply with quote

Anybody near Huddersfield to help me???????????
Tim
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: bleedin cant copy to new card still!!!! Reply with quote

timdyson wrote:
I have tried everything u all are saying, time after time, it looks like the files have copied across to the new 1gb sd card but when i put my new 1gb card into the tomtomgo 300 it shows the diagram of the ttg300 shoving the card out again and a big red cross comes up over the card, what the hell is going on

My guess is that you've not succeeded in copying all the files and folders - and recreating exactly the same structure.

You'll need to do a bit of detective work. Connect TTG to your computer with th USB lead and the orginal card installed, and double click on My Computer. The select TTG and right click on it, and write down the total space used - it should be about 120 MB - but write down the exact figure. Then do the same with the new card. The figure should be the same. If it's less, you've missed some!

In that case, put the original card back in, select TTG again in My Computer, and double click on it so as to expand the directory/folder structure. Right click on each folder in turn and for each one write down the space occupied and the number of files. Then do the same for the new card. It should then be apparent what is missing.

If you can't work out what to do after that, come back, and someone will help you further.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
timdyson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: new 1gb sd card for ttg300 Reply with quote

Thanks Roger
I have managed to get the darn thing working - i think!!!!!, i will know if there are any glitches tomorrow when i get it in my Truck and test it properly, i still dont know exactly what went wrong but it appears to be ok now, cheers.

PS:- do you know if the new ttg300 has a full postcode list like the ones people are advertising or is it the main of the uk postcodes?.

Thanks again to everybody that posted, cheers guys!!!!

Tim
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: new 1gb sd card for ttg300 Reply with quote

timdyson wrote:
Do you know if the new ttg300 has a full postcode list like the ones people are advertising?

I believe it does - but why are you asking us? You've got a 300 haven't you? Turn the b****y thing on and check it!

Select Navigate to Postcode, and check whether it lets you input a full 7-character code.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the postcode button on the second page. Don't try to type the postcode into the "navigate to" address. That only works for the first 5 digits.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: