Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Maps - Upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Maps - Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: New Maps - Upgrade Reply with quote

Just got the six disc's with the new maps....
Looks good and was going to load them on to my 512 SD card...

At the moment I have UK - France and MRoE -- there are just what I need.... all sitting happy on my 512 SD

Started copying UK ---- done OK

Attempt to do France --- Card full.....

Do a re-take and find that all the maps are much larger now and it is not possible to get France and the UK on the same 512 SD... even worse if I try to do the Post Codes as well....

Looks like I need a 1 Gb SD --- whats the best type -- any ideas.. how much and where??
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you load the "plus maps" with the MRE map seamlessly attached to the country map? If so you have loaded 3 MRE copies!

You may now have GB+MRE, F+MRE and the MRE on its own.
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit the same problem with a 1GB card trying to load all the maps needed to get me from Switzerland to the UK

Got CH-AT-DE-PL-CZ loaded, then did GB, then tried to add France but there is not enough room on the card. However, I can still plot a route through France - as sgould said, the MRE are also on there, but there's no way to avoid loading them "more than once"....
Crowe99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Confused! Reply with quote

According to TomTom the new MOWE haven't been released and won't be for another 3 weeks at least so where did you get them from?

I tried and tried to get the new maps but was advised it was not possible so I bought what appears to be the last copy of the original MOWE from a vendor.

Can you clarify what you mean by "new" maps?

Thanks.
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Maps - Upgrade Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:
. . . it is not possible to get France and the UK on the same 512 SD... even worse if I try to do the Post Codes as well....

Looks like I need a 1 Gb SD --- whats the best type -- any ideas.. how much and where??

Hi Maurice, on the basis of what you said on the other forum I, yesterday, ordered a Kingston IGb SD card from where we got our TT's, Globalpositioning. I had a hunt around and even went back to my old source in Hong Kong, ZXpro, but Globalpositioning were as cheap as anyone.

Now I'm a bit puzzled as to the term 'Upgrade' here. It appears that these six CD's contain complete, new maps and the associated/linked MRoE, rather than just the new bits of mapping + associated MRoE, which I expected an Upgrade to be. So for ~60€ Tom Tom seem to have been really fair in supplying complete, new, updated, maps.

With regard to putting several countries' maps on one card, I would have thought that Tom Tom would only load the MRoE map the once, rather than do multiple, redundant loads. Has anyone had a look at the files with new multiple country maps on one card??
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Maps - Upgrade Reply with quote

DocL wrote:
With regard to putting several countries' maps on one card, I would have thought that Tom Tom would only load the MRoE map the once, rather than do multiple, redundant loads.

As I did understand TomTom's map philosophy is: It can use one single "map" at any time.

If you have installed "Germany" and "France" you can route all over "Germany" but not over the border to "France". You may route all over France but again not cross the border. If you have installed the new "Germany+" (which this is essentially one map where Germany is combined with MRoE). You can route from any street in Germany to a lot of vilages in France (or Italy or Austria,..) as long as you do not need detailed city routing outside "Germany", not even if you already have installed a detailed map of that region, because it is on a different map. So if you want to get a benefit of the additional "France" map, you first must switch to that map - what leaves you entirely inside France but you cannot route cross the border back to Germany - unless you did install the "France+" map that is again a combiation of "France" and "MRoE" hence the MRoE is stored redundant.

That's why they have so much different packages like "France", "France+", "Germany", "Alps", DACHPLCZ, ...

In short, different "Maps" are not "merged", like it is the case with Garmin products, where you can store any patch of map on the navigation system and it uses whatever it finds and merges it with the (hard wired internal) "base routes" which is Garmins name of the MRoE.

I truly hope, TT does get that straight with future updates and this was one more reason to target for the GO 700 right from the start where I get "one map of Europe" instead of "a bunch of isolated regions" and the "+" maps are soley a trick to "mimic" cross region routing.
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I need MRoE attached to all of the maps? -- making them inordinately large and useless once you have loaded the first map with it attached...

I was hoping to just have one SD card -- but it now seems that I will have to get one SD card for each map that I wish to load... the option of the MRoE being "attached to the country maps" has no use - in my opinion - what so ever..

I was much better as a single option map - and if you were planning a major route you could use that - or transfer to the local map as you wished... when crossing the border - now that option has gone as you can't get the requisite local maps on one SD...

I have just successfully bid for and purchased a 1Gb SD from Ebay - £27 and hopefully it should arrive soon so I can try it...
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I need MRoE attached to all of the maps? -- making them inordinately large and useless once you have loaded the first map with it attached...

I was hoping to just have one SD card -- but it now seems that I will have to get one SD card for each map that I wish to load... the option of the MRoE being "attached to the country maps" has no use - in my opinion - what so ever..

It was much better as a single option map - and if you were planning a major route you could use that - or transfer to the local map as you wished... when crossing the border - now that option has gone as you can't get the requisite local maps on one SD...

I have just successfully bid for and purchased a 1Gb SD from Ebay - £27 and hopefully it should arrive soon so I can try it...
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, Maurice et al.

After a bit of a glitch (1Gb Kingston card was 'not recognised' on my computer, so after another near heart attack I re-booted the computer and then it was OK) I' ve loaded up v.5.1 and GB+, Benelux+ and France+ maps and there's only 256Mb left !!! Haven't copied the old .cfg file or any POI's yet.

So do I need 3 +maps or will one +map and just ordinary non +maps for other countries do? Because you save a heck of a lot of memory using ordinary maps.

I've tried to follow smallfreak's proposed TomTom philosophy and like Fibre, I don't really want multiple MRoE cluttering up the card. Thinking about it later, it seems a bit pointless having GB+, with the channel in the way, as you'll have a good 40min or more to switch maps; think I'll put GB on a separate card anyway, as I have now. The postcodes can be added on the the ordinary map by the looks of it.
I'm thinking that as France has most contiguous countries that I'm likely to visit, perhaps just France+ would do. Anyone sussed out, practically, what's needed??

I can't actually check it myself because I also got "This product can no longer be activated." even though the product code was recognised as valid. So another e-mail has gone off to TT! What are they playing at?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: