Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - At last I've gone and done it! now I need some answers.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

At last I've gone and done it! now I need some answers.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: At last I've gone and done it! now I need some answers. Reply with quote

Well I've finally gone and done it, after weeks of research mainly on this excellent forum, sleepless nights etc. should I buy TomTom, NavMan, or Mio, I have today bought the TomTom Go 300. What a brilliant bit of kit - rarely have I found a piece of technology so easy to use, the interface is so user friendly and intuitive, brilliant. I do have some questions though, what am I supposed to do with the product card (not as daft a question as you might think) when I try to register I just get "not available" which seems a bit odd. I have got version 5.0 do I need to update to 5.10? if so the instructions tell you to use the AC adaptor before attempting the upgrade - the Go 300 does not come supplied with an AC adaptor. I am also sweating now on getting MOWE or a Map of France before the end of June, or else my money will have been wasted. I noticed on one of the posts on this forum that people had pre-ordered their maps but they hadn't yet received them - how did they do this. When I have gone onto the TomTom online store there is no apparent way of buying anything - all items simply say "AVAILABLE SOON" all very perplexing and worrying. Long post I know but I really would appreciate some knowledgeable answers. Thanks
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to attempt to answer all of that, but here's a couple of points.

I suppose the reference to using the mains adaptor is a carry-over from the Classic which does have one. You can buy one of the right spec from the likes of Maplins for a few quid - or just make sure that the battery is in a good state of charge (from the car charger) before attempting any updates.

Before upgrading the software or making any changes, back up the whole SD card to your PC. You need to connect it to the PC using the USB cable, and then use Windows Explorer (or equivalent) to copy the complete directory structure and files to a folder (which you need to create first) on your PC. This is very important because, unlike the Classic, the 300's map data comes only on SD - and if you lose it, it's gone for ever! The 'backup' program which you can run from the suppled CD only backs up your personal data - and doesn't do a complete job.

With regards to the Maps of Western Europe, I guess that people who have pre-ordered have already got the previous version - and have been given an opportunity to pre-order the upgrade. Since you're not in that category, I fear that you'll have to wait a little longer.

There seems to be some uncertainty as to exactly what maps are supplied as standard with the 300. I was under the impression that you get the GB-Plus map - giving street level detail in GB and major roads for the rest of Europe - all integrated into a single map. But someone has said that you only get GB maps, so I'm not sure. If you have got a Plus map, it will get you pretty close to your destination in Europe even if the detailed maps don't arrive in time.

Roger
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: At last I've gone and done it! now I need some answers. Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
I do have some questions though, what am I supposed to do with the product card (not as daft a question as you might think) when I try to register I just get "not available" which seems a bit odd.

Basically just keep the card safe. As the maps come preloaded onto an SD card and you can just plug and go you don't need to register it with TomTom. You may need it at a later date if you buy any maps on CD or upgrade any maps.

As the last post said, strongly urge you to back up SD card before you do anything. It's easy to do,once you've connected it to your computer, on the Setup CD just click the 'backup to computer' and it will do it all for you.
windsurfer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New "Maps of Western Europe" can be ordered here. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009EPZMU/ref%3Der%5Fra%5Facc%5Fdp%5F2/202-9603745-2476663

Dont rely on their estimated delivery date though because TomTom are qouting end of June on thier site:?

Take a look http://www.tomtom.com/support/rightnow.php?Language=1&Page=http%3A//62.250.17.58/cgi-bin/uk.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php%3Fp_faqid%3D2633
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry too much about upgrading and plugging in the AC adapter. Just make sure that the battery is well charged before you upgrade and everything should be OK.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: At last I've gone and done it! now I need some answers. Reply with quote

PJEvans wrote:
As the last post said, strongly urge you to back up SD card before you do anything. It's easy to do,once you've connected it to your computer, on the Setup CD just click the 'backup to computer' and it will do it all for you.

No! That's precisely what it won't do. The supplied backup routine only backs up your favourites etc. - whereas you need to make a copy of the whole SD card - which you can only do manually.

Roger
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: At last I've gone and done it! now I need some answers. Reply with quote

PJEvans wrote:

Unfortunately this will only backup your personal settings. You will need Windows Explorer to completely Copy the SD card to the PC.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: At last I've gone and done it! now I need some answers. Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
PJEvans wrote:

No! That's precisely what it won't do. The supplied backup routine only backs up your favourites etc. - whereas you need to make a copy of the whole SD card - which you can only do manually.

Roger

I don't know if it was different with the classic but I used this facility from the Set up CD. It has created a new folder in my documents, in that folder is a copy of everything that is on my SD card, the maps, everything. A perfect backup.

I have since made another copy of this folder manually which is stored elsewhere but using this facility will make a FULL backup not just favourites
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: At last I've gone and done it! now I need some answers. Reply with quote

[quote="PJEvans"]
rkm_hm wrote:

I don't know if it was different with the classic but I used this facility from the Set up CD. It has created a new folder in my documents, in that folder is a copy of everything that is on my SD card, the maps, everything. A perfect backup.

I ran the backup utility on the CD which came with my Classic (v4.40) and it definitely didn't backup anything except my personal settings.

I have no direct experience of the 300 - but others have said that it is the same in this respect. In fact, there's a whole Sticky thread called "Warning for GO 300 users" which discusses this.

Roger
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, TT will know by now that a 300 owner without a full SD backup is going to get into trouble. I wonder if this is another example of TT correcting a problem as they go along and modifying the setup CD in later shipments?
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuke wrote:
Well, TT will know by now that a 300 owner without a full SD backup is going to get into trouble. I wonder if this is another example of TT correcting a problem as they go along and modifying the setup CD in later shipments?

Might be. So the message is: A full manual backup will always be ok. Using TT's backup routine may be ok.

You pays your money . . .

Roger
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised when the TomTom did it, I did the backup using the CD but it didn't tell me that it had created the folder.
It was only a while later when I was looking for something in my documents I saw a folder that had been named 'TomTom Go AK8SJ AAETA'. When I opened it up there everything was. Smile

I have one of the first batch of TTG 300's from Maplins, that was delivered the day after release. One of the one's that flashes up ASN even though the 300 is not meant to have it.

I wonder if anyone else who has a TTG300 that has done a backup from the CD has discovered one of these folders Question
matt748
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the 'backup' from the cd, and also had the folder made for me with a similar title to the post above. I'm not sure if this contains the same info as manually copying the SD though. It had a lot of stuff in there though!
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have backed up the SD card - I must be losing my marbles, I forgot about the integrated card reader in my printer, so I just did a drag and drop from the card to my PC. TomTom's website still has me baffled, am I missing something, because I cannot find a way of purchasing anything on their site, so how on earth are customers, some of them on this forum placing orders for maps? TomTom have responded to an email today concerning maps which says they will be in touch in two working days with an answer - not holding my breath though. Is there any need for me to upgrade from version 5.0 to version 5.10? Used TomTom for work today, very impressed, only minus is that it seems a little slow to pick up satellite signal from cold. If I can get the maps though I will not be disappointed with my purchase
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt748 wrote:
I did the 'backup' from the cd, and also had the folder made for me with a similar title to the post above. I'm not sure if this contains the same info as manually copying the SD though. It had a lot of stuff in there though!

How long did the backup take? If it took several minutes rather than a few seconds, it's probably the lot. Also, right click on the folder it has created (in Windows Explorer etc.) and click on properties. It will tell you how bit it is. If it's a full backup, it will be 100MB or more.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: