Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WATCH THE POST CODES
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WATCH THE POST CODES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: WATCH THE POST CODES Reply with quote

What I didn't want to find out is that the post code function on the new Tom Tom upgrade was suspect. But now I can confirm it is.
Entered two post codes in Epsom and Tom Tom came up with the wrong street (checked with the Post Office website and yes Tom Tom is wrong)
Try KT174AA Hawthorne Place (Postoffice) Delaporta Close (Tom Tom)
Great !!!!!!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delporte close is off hawthorn place so its not really wrong it will still get you there to be honest it not that far out it just looks like the road indexed wrongly as i said it will still get you there

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it will get you there ish.
Here's another one:-
KT174RG is Stevens Close but to Tom Tom it is Upper High Street. Now OK Stevens Close is off Upper High Street but I thought the post cose was specific to roads not the general area ?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the post code may relate to more than one road

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix
So are you saying that the address search is more accurate than the post code search ?
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mow wrote:
Alix
So are you saying that the address search is more accurate than the post code search ?
Even if they were, you are missing the point of the postcode file.

Half the time you cannot even FIND the road without it. Don’t expect the postcode to take you exactly where you want to go each time without a house number. Thing is, it will get you close enough to find your destination. This is never been easy until now. And you still have the address search as backup. Postcodes are your friend! 8)
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding of the way postcodes work is that a single post code can cover an area from 1 building to something much larger in rural areas. There is no set size to the postcode area.

Now the magic word here is "area". But TomTom and other mapping applications work in points (locations) and lines (roads and other features).

If you have a postcode (point) you need to associate it with the nearest road (line) and this is where these discrepancies will slip in. Any postcode that is near a junction of two roads could go to either road depending on which is nearest.

It is the Ordnance Survey who determines the exact point for a postcode (hence the withdrawal of the Postcode POIs for copyright reasons). If the OS has not positioned the arbitary Postcode epicentre point near the right road then these errors will creep in.

As the others have said though. This will get you much closer than any other method. Interestingly I had only found 1 such error in nearly 4 months usage. I suppose that I have just been lucky.
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
(hence the withdrawal of the Postcode POIs for copyright reasons).
Hey I missed that announcement. Where was that one stated?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishlist wrote:
MikeB wrote:
(hence the withdrawal of the Postcode POIs for copyright reasons).
Hey I missed that announcement. Where was that one stated?

This post references the undertaking we made to the OS.

There are various others where we have made references and had the discussions the original post the OS objected to is here and there is further discussion on the copyright issues in this topic

We have also been threatened by the AA over low bridges in the last week or so, and on it goes. I hate to bow down to these notices when some are borderline, but these companies have very large legal departments, and for any one of them to actually sue us would mean the end of this site.
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I see Sad Heavy stuff indeed.

Not visited the TT Navigator pages just the Go ones (there is more than enough here to keep my busy!!) Interesting reading though. Thanks for the links Wink
rayflan
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First day I tried the new maps I thought what a waste of time 6 out of 8 post codes were wrong well a street or so out.
Having used them all week about 30 trips Im a happy bunny, about 90% to the door navigation.
Have even found some of my customer records on file are wrong after entering the postcodes into the go.
Residential postcodes seem to be the most accurate.I use my go all the time 25 plus journeys a week so time will tell.
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this right, If I use "navagate to" and select the post code and number I could end up in a near by street not the one I want, but if I use the "navagate to" address i.e. city, road, number it is spot on ?
I that is the case I must be missing the point on post codes apart from a general area search utility.
rayflan
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you navigate to postcode ttgo shows the street/road you can check with show route.
I've found it very usefull on roads with no numbers ie Mr Smith, The Cottage, Holly lane....no more driving up down country roads looking for house names...I hope.
The place I had trouble was Cheslyn Hay, Staffs.As a service engineer I use my go alot and since getting it has never got me lost.As long as I get there without stopping asking people or buying local maps It does the job for me and with alot less stress.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: