Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trip to USA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trip to USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Trip to USA Reply with quote

Some time ago I was asking about using a Mio 168 in the US for a holiday, some other people were planning the same thing and wanted to know how I got on...

Over here in the UK I use TT3 and get on really well with it. However, TomTom took so long in releasing V5 that it meant I couldn't get their (expensive) US maps, so I had to find an alternative, fast. In the end I bought the trial version of Destinator 3 for £16 from http://www.buyGPSnow.com, and also downloaded the trial version of Mapopolis as a backup.

Our trip took us from Vegas -> Zion -> Monument Valley -> Bryce -> Vegas. When we arrived in Vegas I started up Destinator, once it got a GPS lock I tried to plan a route to the hotel.... and it didn't work! It came up with an error saying it couldn't plan the route, I think it may have been that the Dollar rental parking lot wasn't on the map, but even so I'm sure TomTom can handle that. So I had to rely on Mapopolis to get us to the Mirage.... which took me right down the Strip - the one place I didn't want to drive on my first ever attept at driving on the 'wrong' side!

As for the rest of the trip, Destinator worked fine, at Monument Valley we stayed at a remote BB off a 17 mile dirt track, but even the dirt track was on the map. The only issues we had was that when we got back to Vegas it told me to turn right even though the route was going straight ahead on the screen. After turning right it took me back to the original road I was on! Also it doesn't warn you which lane to be in on freeways like TT does over here.

I have to admit being a fan of the TT 3D view, but I was a little disapointed with Destinators, in the end I used the 2D one as you get to see more detail (park land and stuff).

As for Mapopolis, it got us to the hotel on the first day so I can't complain. I would've used it more but I really can't get on with the voice, it's just too hard to understand (Destinator uses 'real' voices much like TT). Also, there may be a problem with their activation - the trial version is only meant to last 9 days but it was still working after 2 weeks. In fact the Northants one I downloads 2 months ago still works!

So basically for a short trip to the US I recommend using Destinator, the trial version lasts up to 30 days and is a bargain compared to the £130 TomTom want for their US maps. It might not be as good as TT but it gets you where you want to go.
jean
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - I just sent you a pm about half an hour ago asking how you got on! Should have read here first!

Wondering if it is worth getting tom tom now I have ordered the upgrade
or trying out the destinator

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: