Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SHARING BLUTOOTH GPS BETWEEN TOMTOM 5 OTHER APPLICATIIONS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SHARING BLUTOOTH GPS BETWEEN TOMTOM 5 OTHER APPLICATIIONS

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: SHARING BLUTOOTH GPS BETWEEN TOMTOM 5 OTHER APPLICATIIONS Reply with quote

When TomTom 3 was newly released, I returned my copy for a refund because it would not release the GPS receiver for use with other applications. I need my voice-guided navigation system to continue running in the background while I temporarily use the GPS with another application. Copilot 5 was the only one I could find that would do this at the time.

Does anyone know TomTom 5 for Pocket PC will allow this, please?

Also, I would like to know, please, if TomTom 5 will take a download of postcodes from a spreadsheet and display them as custom POIs with labels.
Rabdo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a piece of software which enables you to share gps connections (it does work with TomTom3)
GPSGate

rabdo
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: SHARING BLUTOOTH GPS BETWEEN TOMTOM 5 OTHER APPLICATIION Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
When TomTom 3 was newly released, I returned my copy for a refund because it would not release the GPS receiver for use with other applications. I need my voice-guided navigation system to continue running in the background while I temporarily use the GPS with another application. Copilot 5 was the only one I could find that would do this at the time.

Also, I would like to know, please, if TomTom 5 will take a download of postcodes from a spreadsheet and display them as custom POIs with labels.

Are you quite sure on this? It is a feature of Bluetooth Serial Ports that they can natively only supply data to one application at a time. This is not a fault of TomTom and as far as I know CoPilot is no different in this respect.

Where TomTom was at fault was in blocking access to the BT Serial Port for other applications even when it was not running although this was easily resolved.

If you require your GPS to drive two applications cocurrently then you need a utility such as Franson's GPSGate. This patches the BT SPP to split the data stream.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both Rabdo and Darren for such prompt replies. Darren wrote:

Quote:
Are you quite sure on this? It is a feature of Bluetooth Serial Ports that they can natively only supply data to one application at a time. This is not a fault of TomTom and as far as I know CoPilot is no different in this respect.

Yes, I am sure. I checked this with ALK before purchasing Copilot 5, and it is one of sadly few aspects of Copilot that are realised in practice. One unchecks "RECEIVING" in the GPS menu, which allows switching to and from Microsoft Pocket Streets. This gets over the lack of 7-digit postcodes in Copilot and allows easy downloading (into Pocket Streets) of address lists for display as pushpins.

What I am seeking is a programme that will incorporate what I need in one application including sensible and accurate routing, which Copilot does not have, and which, as far as I can ascertain, ALK have little enthusiasm for addressing.

Thanks again to you both. I will look for the utility that Rabdo mentions.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think you're a little confused here. As Darren says, the GPS port is only accessible via ONE application at anyone time.

The reason WHY you couldn't use another application alongside TTN3 was because of the GPS FUDGE driver that TomTom implemented. You could EASILY get around this by uninstalling TomTom ~ GPS driver.

By unchecking RECEIVING it doesn't mean that two applications can still use the GPS data, it's just stopping receiving in one application and allowing you to use another application.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
By unchecking RECEIVING it doesn't mean that two applications can still use the GPS data, it's just stopping receiving in one application and allowing you to use another application.

Absolutely, and with the TomTom fix you could achieve the excat same thing in TomTom by uncehecking the tick box in the GPS Applet!
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Darren and Dave, but it appears that you are getting confused as to who it is that is getting confused!

I was well aware that only one application uses the receiver at a time, and I have never suggested otherwise. The fact that they are using the very same receiver means that they are sharing it: check any respectable dictionary and see.

Are YOU sure that unchecking this alleged applet in TomTom 3 has the desired effect? When I had TomTom 3, nothing else could use the GPS receiver unless TomTom 3 was completely uinstalled. In fact, your team agreed, and said that a "tweak" was available on the forum somewhere. I did not take them up on it as I had by then let my TomTom 3 go back for a refund.

Has TomTom 3 been altered since I had it?

I am afraid that I could not commit myself to a further purchase on the strength of you gentlemen's present advice despite the thunder with which you seek to dismiss what I say. Dave wrote of "tweaks" or "tweaking" in my thread on Copilot 5's UK routing, and it turned out that these tweaks did not exist. Furthermore, it now turns out that the PocketGPS team were making assumptions when they said that TomTom 5 is to have 7-digit postcodes, so it may be that these too will not materialise.

Apart from a contest in semantics, is there anything else that the team has to offer?

If someone can in fact answer the question that I originally raised, then I shall still be grateful.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
I was well aware that only one application uses the receiver at a time, and I have never suggested otherwise. The fact that they are using the very same receiver means that they are sharing it: check any respectable dictionary and see.

If the application is not using it (and unchecking receive effectively disconnects the GPS) then it cannot be 'sharing it'! Sharing means 'to use jointly' which is not the case here. I don't need a dictionary to know that thanks.

Quote:
Are YOU sure that unchecking this alleged applet in TomTom 3 has the desired effect? When I had TomTom 3, nothing else could use the GPS receiver unless TomTom 3 was completely uinstalled. In fact, your team agreed, and said that a "tweak" was available on the forum somewhere. I did not take them up on it as I had by then let my TomTom 3 go back for a refund.

If you re-read my last comment I said 'With the TomTom Fix' which is easily implemented and in no way affects TomTom.

Quote:
I am afraid that I could not commit myself to a further purchase on the strength of you gentlemen's present advice despite the thunder with which you seek to dismiss what I say. Dave wrote of "tweaks" or "tweaking" in my thread on Copilot 5's UK routing, and it turned out that these tweaks did not exist. Furthermore, it now turns out that the PocketGPS team were making assumptions when they said that TomTom 5 is to have 7-digit postcodes, so it may be that these too will not materialise.

Why were we making assumptions with regard to TTN5 having 7-Digit PostCodes? It does.

Quote:
Apart from a contest in semantics, is there anything else that the team has to offer?

If someone can in fact answer the question that I originally raised, then I shall still be grateful.

I appreciate that TomTom was a problem in previous versions because it comandeered access to the BT GPS, in answer to your question, TomTom 5 does not exhibit this issue.

I merely sought to clarify what you were seeking as what you originally stated is incorrect, no GPS navigation application allows a GPS data stream to be shared.

What you have achived in CoPilot is not 'sharing' but disconnecting the GPS, so that whilst the application still runs it is not actively receiving and processing position data because it is not connected to the GPS receiver.

I have no idea why you have assumed such a defensive stance on this, I responded in order to assist, if you do not want assistance then why ask?
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

Then it is time you did look in a dictionary. Try the latest edition of any of the Oxford range. I could hardly have imagined that both applications were using the GPS receiver at once, as they both have a connect/disconnect facility - and it goes pear shaped if you don't use it!!

A member of your team who wrote a review on TomTom 5 SAYS that he made the assumption that it would be having 7-digit supoort for postcodes. He said it when another person pointed out that he/she could not see where TomTom themselves claimed it. I could give you the reference, but I think you do need to look for it.

Thank you for now acknowledging that I was not dreaming about TomTom 3 blocking up the GPS port. That certainly is not the stance you were taking - despite your claim to the contrary.

You need not worry on my account. I feel in no way defensive. I think that you, as a member of a forum team that seeks credibility, need to do the soul searching. You could start by refraining from trying to pick pointless arguments about the use of English - particularly if you are wrong!

You will gain respect if you do not feel pressure to be the one who knows. Your knowledge is valuable even if it is not complete, and if you pretend that it is complete when it is not, there will always be those who will highlight the fact.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, is the third-party "fix" previously mentioned necessary to exit from TomTom 5 temporarily so that another application can share the GPS receiver, please?

Thank you.,
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
to exit from TomTom 5 temporarily

Thanks for this valuable lesson in the english language... I thought when you exit you exit...

If you want to use the very same GPS receiver simultaneously (concurrently) at the very same time by more than one application then you need to use GPS Gate or a similiar port splitter.

If one of your applications is TomTom Navigator with a GPS driver between 2.08 and 3.03 (inclusive) then in addition you need to apply the fix to stop that GPS driver from blocking the port even when it is not in use.

The latter scenario also covers your fancy "temporary exit"

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
Dave wrote of "tweaks" or "tweaking" in my thread on Copilot 5's UK routing, and it turned out that these tweaks did not exist.

Really ? Did you try looking for them like everyone else has ? It's quite easy, you just browse the CoPilot Forum and look at the STICKY messages. If you are experiencing problems working out how to browse the forums, a direct link can be found here.

PONDEROUS wrote:
Furthermore, it now turns out that the PocketGPS team were making assumptions when they said that TomTom 5 is to have 7-digit postcodes, so it may be that these too will not materialise.

A member of your team who wrote a review on TomTom 5 SAYS that he made the assumption that it would be having 7-digit supoort for postcodes. He said it when another person pointed out that he/she could not see where TomTom themselves claimed it. I could give you the reference, but I think you do need to look for it.

Please feel free to quote the reference. TomTom 5 (ALL Platforms) will support 7 digit postcodes! I don't recall anywhere we said that it wouldn't ?

The only quote that I can see that you may have misread is this one where someone asked if USA ZIP codes would be supported and I have clearly stated "Unfortunately the UK and NL full postcodes are only available for these countries, so no full zip codes for USA."

PONDEROUS wrote:
By the way, is the third-party "fix" previously mentioned necessary to exit from TomTom 5 temporarily so that another application can share the GPS receiver, please?

As Lutz has quoted, when you EXIT an application you are doing just that. You are not SHARING a connection. Sharing emplies that multiple applications can access the GPS at the same time because it is shared. A GPS cannot create SHARES. All GPS Receivers have a single mode of operation which means only ONE device can connect to it at anyone time. Just because multiple applications could use the GPS if no other application is using the GPS connection doesn't mean it is SHARING the connection.

If you share a bottle of wine, you are sharing the contents at the same time. If you share a cab, you are both using the cab at the same time. You are not sharing a GPS.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will follow the same order as Dave Burrows’s latest contribution.

I will look for Copilot routing “tweaks” where you suggest. They did not exist, or at least not where you mentioned, when you referred to them before. If such tweaks exist, and work, after all, then I will write and thank you for the information.

As I am afraid you must already well know, your references to the use of 7-digit postcodes in earlier versions of TomTom have been in the context of third-party add-ons. Of course, the present matter is rather different; and why, one wonders, do you not acknowledge it? It concerns your colleague’s declaration that TomTom 5 will come with 7-digit postcodes and search facilities already built in. As I have already mentioned, he has subsequently admitted that he was assuming this. Let us hope that his assumption proves correct!

Dave and colleagues have assumed that there is some rule that means “sharing” is exclusive to situations where the thing that is shared is used by one or more persons, or things, at the same time. The fact is, however, that if my brother and I use one squash racket, then we share it. Having said all of this, the use of the wored is beside the point. Dave knew the context, and what I was asking, when he intervened. Therefore, what he said would have served no purpose, save presumably to boost his ego, even if his knowledge of the word in question had been better.

Furthermore, as can be seen, in this thread and in the one on Copilot 5 UK Routing, Dave’s contributions, are too often misleading. It would be helpful if he were to concentrate on the questions being asked and to say what he does know while making clear what he does not know. He also needs to make clear distictions between fact and opinion (whether well-founded or otherwise). In this thread, and in the he appears to have difficulty distinguishing between the two. His apparent attempts to appear clever and authoritative do him no credit.

Lutz, was there some point to your use of the word “fancy”? You can invent whatever term you like for what I call temporarily exiting. However, temporarily exiting from an application, which, as I have made perfectly clear, involves leaving the application running rather than having to start it from scratch, is simply something that I need to be able to do. Unlike you, it seems, I do not profess to be able to know or produce “fancy” things about or for computers. I just want to use them, and your forum is supposed to a source of advice on the subject.

At the beginning of the present thread I asked two straightforward questions about TomTom 5. A dozen or so posts on, neither has been addressed. Has anyone got the answers, please?
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

I couldn't help noticing that the TomTom 5 screen shot of a postcode search in your own review appears to show five digits in the postcode, while in the narrative you state that there it will be a 7-digit search facility. Perhaps the search was not complete when the screenshot was saved? Time will tell, no doubt.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
At the beginning of the present thread I asked two straightforward questions about TomTom 5. A dozen or so posts on, neither has been addressed. Has anyone got the answers, please?

...I beg to differ. ......and if you re-read the entire thread you will see we've answered all your questions. But you do have to READ the topic. But I'll answer your questions AGAIN as a quick recap so you don't have to go re-reading the entire topic.

PONDEROUS wrote:

You were incorrect. TomTom will work with other applications installed onto the same PDA. All you had to do was uninstall the TomTom ~ GPS which is a heavily documented feature used by thousands of other TomTom users in our forums here with great success. Out of the box, yes you will have the problem but like we have said several times now, there is an easy workaround.

PONDEROUS wrote:

You may argue we haven't replied to this specific question, we have but indirectly. There is a legitimate workaround in TTN3. Darren has already said that there isn't currently an issue with TTN5, but it is still in BETA, so we don't know what will happen between now and the public release. Either way if it is a problem, guess what ? There's a workaround as we've already clearly stated.

PONDEROUS wrote:

If you had taken just a couple of minutes to read the reviews that took us so long to prepare you will already have the answer for this question, and the answer is YES, importing of any POI's is unchanged.

PONDEROUS wrote:
Dave wrote of "tweaks" or "tweaking" in my thread on Copilot 5's UK routing, and it turned out that these tweaks did not exist.

As regards to this comment, the topic has already been in place since Oct 5th 2004, it's easy to find just by browsing the CoPilot Live forum and I've posted a link to this but you still seem to want to dispute that.

With regard to your latest question...

PONDEROUS wrote:
I couldn't help noticing that the TomTom 5 screen shot of a postcode search in your own review appears to show five digits in the postcode, while in the narrative you state that there it will be a 7-digit search facility. Perhaps the search was not complete when the screenshot was saved? Time will tell, no doubt.

We have said elsewhere in the forums that the versions we have been running don't currently support the 7-digit postcodes, but 7-digit postcodes will be supported in the final release.

Seeing that we have answered your questions several times over either directly or indirectly, I am going to close this topic because we're not going to go through this a third time re-explaining the answers we've given you.

I don't know why you seem to be on the offensive in this topic and why you are refuting everything we have told you.

If you have any further questions or problems with what I have written here, I suggest you .

TOPIC NOW CLOSED Exclamation

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: