Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Odd Behavior
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd Behavior

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbregman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Odd Behavior Reply with quote

I am noticing some odd behavior with my new 510. I sent the note below to support, but thought I would see is anyone here had seen anything like this.

Hello,

I recently purchased a Navman 510 and in using it saw some odd behavior I wondered if you could comment on. Please note I have updated the unit using the patch on the web site.

1. In a recent trip a few times, even though the map showed a turn, the voice prompt and the next turn did not show the turn. A specific example: Traveling from Santa Cruz to Pleasanton (in the SF Bay area) when I needed to go from 880 to 680 using the interconnect 262, I was told to exit to Mission/262. Then, even though the map showed the turn on the cloverleaf to 680, the voice prompt and the next turn indicator told me to travel 16 miles then exit right. The total distance of travel on Mission/262 is about 1.5 miles. This has happened a few other times as well.

2. On the same trip the next right turn (referred to above) showed exit right, but did not show the street name, although it showed the name on the map. I am not sure if this is connected to the missed turn prior.

3. While traveling on highways a few times there seems to be a random stay left or stay right and a new distance measurement to the next turn. This has happened repeatedly for highways 17 and 680.

4. I am curious how the distance to arrival is calculated. Is this based on the actual travel speed? The rated road speed? One time the unit seemed to think it would take MUCH longer to arrive, and another time it was smack on.

Sorry for all the questions, so far I like the Navman a lot, but am just getting used to some odd behaviors.

Thanks,

David
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed on some of the roads in my town that..say when you just leave a roundabout and drive on a road beside the one you just left, I get told to perform a U Turn, and there is a fair distance between them.
The voice (Womans :D) sometimes is rushed when approaching a junction ie.. t.t.t.urn left but i think thats the speed i'm driving at.
My ? appears quite a lot in strange areas and a new route is made for no reason.
The random bear left or rights are fairly common especially on the motorways in Glasgow.

Also one more thing, it says in the manual that the signal might be lost due to snow, last week we had very thick large snowstorms and it caused no problem at all, good signal, which was just as well you could hardly see 50 feet in front of you. Smile
Itsme508
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this ?

I was driving from Brussels to Nice (+- 1300 km).

The settings in my 510 were set to prefer freeways.

At several occasions the Navman told me to get of the freeway, dive around the next traffic circle (something like 500 meters away from the freeway), take the same road back to the freeway and continue the trip on the freeway to Nice!. This happened several times hundreds of kilometres away from destination.

On the same trip, the Navman told me several times to get off the freeway to take a secondary route even when settings mention to prefer freeways. This happened also several times sevaral hundreds of kilometers away from destination.

Lucky enough I’ve done this trip several times so I knew that what the Navman 510 told me was not correct.

On the way back I spent some days in Paris. (I’ve been living in Paris for several year). Around Paris is a Boulevard Periferique (all around Paris). I wanted to drive from centre of Paris back to Brussels so I headed North to to the nearest entrance/exit of the Bvd Periferique.
Navman should have told me to take the Bvd Periferique East to head towards the A1 (Paris – Lille) but Navman told me instead to take the Bvd Periferique West uh? take the third exit, make a U-turn and head East on the same Bvd Periferique. ?!?! uh uh uh… Something is definitely not OK here.

Driving on the Bvd Periferique east towards A1, the Navman told me to ignore the exit to the A1 and continue the trip on the Bvd Periferique until the exit to the A3 (the A3 goes from the Bvd Periferique to A1 but it takes 50 km extra). I don’t understand why Navman tells me to do some 50 km extra if I could have taken the A1 directly.

Lucky enough I’ve been living in Paris for several years so I know something is not OK here.

So what do I think of all of this? I’ve spent 800 euro (device, maps and SD card) to take the long way home, spend more time and gas than needed and pollute more than necessary.

If I want to be sure to take the most efficient way… I’ll take the map.

Chiao
Itsme
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itsme508, I'm intrigued. You say the setting was to prefer freeways, but did you have the top slider set to quickest, shortest or somewhere in between?
Itsme508
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Routing settings are set as follow:

Route type
Quickest X--|--|--|--|--| Shortest Distance

Preference for freeways
Less Often |--|--|--|--X--| More Often

Preference for Urban Roads
Less Often |--X--|--|--|--| More Often

Road Use
X Avoid Unsurfaced Road

The quickest way from Brussesl to Nice is on the Freeways (Toll ways in France). Navman tells me several times to get off the freeway to go around the nearest traffic circle and then return to the freeway to continue the trip!. (doesn't make sence not in shortest distance nor quickest route) (doesn't make sence because I dont like Urban roads..).

In Paris, going west on the Periferique for 1 kilometer to make a U-turn to return on the Periferique (passing entrance/exit where I entered the Periferique in the firt place) to continue east is also Not Quickest Nor Fastest.

Yesterday I went to visit a friend. He lives a the end of a raod (500 m) at the start of the road I can see his house. Instead of guiding me to the end of the road directly Navman tells me to turn right (100 meters into the first street on the right) turn left, (200 meters into the street parallel with the street my friend lives in) turn left (100 meters towards the street my friend lives in) and turn right into the street where my friend lives (btw the street where I was in the first place) As a result .. not quickest and certainly not shortest...

Go figure this out!

Right now I use Navman only to show where I am but certainly not to tell me how to get somewhere.

Chiao
Itsme

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: