Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Checkpoint 3 - slow
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Checkpoint 3 - slow
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Checkpoint 3 - slow Reply with quote

I've been using the latest Checkpoint 3 since I got my system, but find it is really slow at loading and the 2210 hangs for a while when Checkpoint is started. Its really irritating when i'm sat in the car waiting for TomTom to load, so i can start my journey, so much so that i've not been using Checkpoint for a while.

Anyway, I uninstalled Checkpoint 3 today, in installed version 2. This version starts up instantly everytime with no pauses and all the menus appear quickly, where as with version 3, the menus seemed to take a second or two to appear when you clicked on them.

Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed any hangs or pauses.
jy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Slow with me too Reply with quote

I also have the problem with latest version of Checkpoint (3.2) taking ages to "automatically" start TomTom Navigtor on my ipaq 3970 (upgraded to windows mobile 2003). No problem with version 2 of Checkpoint though. Strangely, I had version 3.2 working fine until I had to do a hard reset for another reason!! Since then I've tried everything I can think of by way of uninstalling, deleting registry entries and reinstalling etc etc but to no avail. Looks like we are stuck with Checkpoint version 2.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I should re-confirm my original post. I don't get CheckPOInt 3.2 hanging, but it does take a couple of seconds more to load. When you tap the icon it doesn't seem as though it's done anything to invoke CheckPOInt or TTN2, it seems to be doing something in background more, but it's only about 2-3 seconds extra load time.
jy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My delay is more like a minute (despite having 20mb of freee memory and Checkpoint installed in main memory along with TomTom). Th Checkpoint icon appears immediately at the bottom of the today screen but is unresponsive to being "clicked". About a minute later the spinning wheel appears and TomTom launches. In the meantime any other actions on the PPC either don't happen or take a long time. Something is definitely going on in the background but I can't figure out what!!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you install CheckPOInt to ? Was it to main memory or SD card ? Mine is installed to main memory and runs fairly fast (or extremely fast compared with a minute).
jy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed to main memory. I have to believe that it is Checkpoint version 3 that is the problem because version 2 runs like a dream and TomTom Vaigator starts immediately if I launch it directly (ie not through Checkpoint). Hopefully the guys who write Checpoint will figure this out and correct it in the next update.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it installed in the default place on the iPAQ

Its this initial time i was mainly talking about, plus very occasionaly when you clock on the checkpoint icon to bring the menu up, it sometimes takes about a second to show, sometimes its there straight away.

Just re-installed Checkpoint 3.2 and timed the time it takes for TTN2 to appear from clicking the checkpoint icon in the today menu. It took 42 seconds the first time and 41 seconds the second time. During this time, its like the iPAQ 2210 is locked up because you cant do anything or click on anything whilst its loading.

Checkpoint 2 was near instantaneous in comparrison.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just checked CheckPOInt 3.2 on one of my 2210's (not my main one) and that takes 8 seconds before the pizza wheel appears, and a total of 11 seconds before TTN2's Navigator screen appears.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have something to do with me only having a 128mb sd card?
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i have installed on mine since hard reset is

Checkpoint 3.2
TomTom Navigator Voice
TomTom GPS 2.09 (but it was doing the same with 2.08 and 2.07)
TomTom Navigator 2.24
Leadtek Navigator
Holux GPSViewer
HP 2200 BT Driver update 58

so its not exactly overloaded with software or anything.

On the SD card all i have is the UK map and the PocketGPS speedcamera poi.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this is down to some kind of SD problem. See my reply in this thread elsewhere in the forums.

Maybe it would be best if we kept any 221x / SD card discussions to that thread. It'd be interesting if you read Jon Crawford's web site and posted any markings from your SD card.

The first thing to try, though, is a soft reset - also, because you're running Pocket PC 2003, investigate one of those tools that clears all the garbage out of your notification queue that builds up with every soft reset. That might just be the problem, though I have my doubts. I use Spb's Pocket Plus for this job - but that's not free.

David
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That page makes interesting reading, will look into it a little more, but i dont think there is a problem with sd card, never had an error and TTN2 runs nice and fast. Its an Integral 128mb SD card that came with the iPAQ when i bought it. I've done plenty of soft resets, but its run slow like that since the hard reset and re-instalation of TTN2 and Checkpoint 3.2. Checkpoint 2 runs perfectly well.
jy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe it can be an SD card issue as I have just upgraded to a 512MB SD card from a 256MB one (both different makes) and have the same problem with both. Also, as previously noted, TomTom starts just fine with either Checkpoint 2 or without Checkpoint at all (8 seconds from a menu click to the TomTom navigator screen which seems perfectly reasonable to me).

I've done loads of soft resets and have the programs you refer to running to clear the notification queue.

I haven't timed how long Checkpoint 3.2 takes but as I said before it is about a minute or so and Wilko's 40/45 seconds sounds similar therefore.

Has anybody else had this issue and managed to solve it? If so can you post how you did it? Thanks
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough - though it's worth noting that there's far fewer suppliers of SD cards than there are brands. The markings from the back of the card can help identify who actually manufactured the card.

A couple of questions come to mind - though they may not be relevant to the answer. Firstly, are you synchronising CheckPOInt 3 with POIplace or not? Secondly, how many POI files you have in your TomTom Navigator 2 map folder?

When I tried CheckPOInt 3.2 on my iPAQ 3970 based setup (ROM 4.00.08 - Pocket PC 2003), it ran fine (not synchronising to POIplace, and about 15 POI files in my map folder, of which all but two were pretty small). I removed 3.2 because of issues I first found in 3.0 and that are still present in 3.2 that I believe affect its interoperability with the PocketGPS camera database - see this thread for details.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: