Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio 168 Battery problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio 168 Battery problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drphibes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Mio 168 Battery problems Reply with quote

Hi

I bought a Mitac Mio 168 just before xmas and iam pleased with its perofrmance.
However the last couple of times I have used it I have found the battery to be dead?.
The last time I used this was 3 days ago , I fully charged the unit and then went out on a trip using the gps option.
The gps was switched on for 45 minutes and I did check to see what the battery level was after this , the reading I was given was approx 75% left.

Now I am out and about tomorrow so I just decided to check out the route and found the 168 to be totally dead again!!!.
I use Navigon software and I know full well that I quit the program when I had reached my destination.
The unit was switched off via the power switch so I am at a loss as to why it should be acting like this.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Drphibes
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Drphibes

Not sure what sort of Power Manager you have on the Mio 168, but i use a Medion 95000 which is a re-branded 168, and on the Medion Utility there is a tab for Wake Up - on this Page there are 5 options -

SD slot powered off during sleep mode - i set mine to yes

Then these items will wake up the system -

Application buttons - set off
Record button - set off
SD/MMC Card insert/remove - set off
USB Plug-in set off

Then on the - Start - Settings - System - Backlight Icon

On battery power (or) On AC power

I make sure that Turn Backlight off when device is not used for - again i set these both to off, so the back light is on if the unit is on, and off if the unit really is off.

If you do that then when you do turn Off the unit with the Power button - nothing should be running, i say this because sometimes i have found that i turned the unit off, then if i carefully look at it, the screen may not be lit, but i can see its still on, if you have it in bright light you will see what mean.
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have the Mitac 168 with the power options set exactly as in the message above.

Previously I was finding it very irritating that the damn thing kept springing to life every time I inadvertantly knocked one of the buttons. When I want it powered off, I mean stay powered OFF !!

On a recent 4hr country walk I was using the Mitac's GPS facility with the MemoryMap OS maps and the battery more than coped. I think the secret is NOT to have the screen on full brightness all the time. Also, there's probably no need to have it even powered on ALL the time - just now and then to check one's position.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello gripp

Quote:
I think the secret is NOT to have the screen on full brightness all the time.

I always have the screen set to its lowest setting for bightness, i find that even in bright sunlight its ok.

Another check you can do is to go to:

Start - Settings - System - Memory Icon - Running Programs:

then make sure that all are Stopped, before turing off the unit.

Also make sure that the GPS icon is red to show its off after using the GPS.
drphibes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for the replies I will check out my settings later tonight and see if the ones you recommend do the trick.

Drphibes
Dabhand16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a more basic level, a friend of mine had the same problem - charged up one day - dead the next. Turned out he was not turning off the unit when he was done using it!! If you press and hold the power button, you only turn off the backlight. It only needs a 'tap' to turn it off.
TTN3 3.03 (427) / Sprite Premium 3.1.4 b2419 / CheckPOInt 3.2.0.0 / Digitools UK PostCode / GPSW Safety Camera Database
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same pda.So far the battery life seems to be very good but I bought a battery extender so that I could use it on long hikes with MemoryMap. I've only used it once so far but it seems to work very well.
There is a company that sells them on ebay for about 5 or 6 pounds.
I will have to check my settings as well though to see if I have them set up the same as the previous posters have suggested.
suffolktraveller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how do you turn it off other than holding down the button. ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suffolktraveller wrote:
so how do you turn it off other than holding down the button. ?

The following applies to all PocketPC devices, a short tap on the power button switched the unit off or more acuratly puts it into 'Supend' mode, hold the power button for a few seconds when ON and the backlight is switched off but the unit is still ON. With the backlight OFF, holding the Power button down for a few seconds turns the backlight back ON.
suffolktraveller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, works a treat
viking777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought a battery extender from www.addonsworld.com , it was only £6.99 + p+p (although you need 4 aa batteries - I already had these). I haven't had a chance to use it yet (only got it this morning!) but I have connected it up in the house and it seems to be doing what it is supposed to.
The nice thing about it is that if you use your pda outdoors and own an aquapac waterproof case or something similar, the pda and battery extender will fit into the case alongside each other enabling you to use them both outdoors in adverse conditions, I use my pda for navigation puposes using memory map, it should be ideal for this, without it the battery life would not be sufficient.

Incidentally, it was delivered in under 24 hours from ordering, which I thought was pretty impressive for an online purchase.

Rgds,
viking777
drphibes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well im glad to report that my Mio 168 is now fine with the battery life.
I set my Mio to the settings suggested in this thread and also checked to make sure no programs where running.
I was amazed to find 5 programs running :o , so I closed all of these running programs and the battery is lasting like it should :D .

Thanks for your help .

Drphibes
mac_the_dog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have the cradle, It's great - :D

You need to order:

40005939 - MD PPC150 inkl. holder

www.medionshop.co.uk

Also I have just invested in Battery Pack Pro 1.1.1, a really useful Pocket PC management tool, I got this from www.pocketgear.co.uk

Hope this all helps
Memory-Map 2004 Region 2
Medion MD PPC150 cradle
Kingston 512MB SD Card
PDair Aluminium Hardcase
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thanks to viking 777 for giving me the link to addonsworld for the MIO 168 Battery extender, which I have just ordered.
I shall be using the MIO on a maxi-scooter and while I can plug the MIO's car charger into the bike's 12v socket, I may find that the extra battery capacity would be welcome as an alternative.
I have also ordered a jack plug adaptor from Maplins, to be able to plug the bike's radio, mobile phone and intercom system's, 3.5mm jack plug, into the MIO's 2.5mm socket, so that I can listen through the helmet speaker system to the voice commands, while riding.
I am really enjoying finding so much information on this forum. My thanks to everyone here. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: