Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Citroen Xsara Picasso Installation advice needed please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Citroen Xsara Picasso Installation advice needed please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefwan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Citroen Xsara Picasso Installation advice needed please Reply with quote

Hi ,
I am just about to purchase Ipaq and Tom Tom Setup for my Xsara Picasso. As i understand the front screen is heat reflecting thus blocking the GPS signal. I have had a good look around the various forums here and have noticed that a lot of cars have "Blank Spots" within the glass which will allow signals to pass through. Does anybody or has anybody had experience with this car who could advise me were to place the reciever. Would the front 1/4 window suffice or does it need to be somewhere else ? The reason for me asking this question is that i aren't over keen about an external antenna because short of drilling the roof there wouldn't be any surefire ways of routing the extra cable and i am keen for the installation to be as tidy as possible.

Thank You in Advance
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a little lateral thinking you can see the spaces in the coating. You need a pair of rayban sun glasses (the ones with the grey tint were the ones i used), on a bright day the coating will reflect a kind of goldy-purple colour, and normal windscreens wont, you'll understand what i mean if you try.

All you need now is a pal with a pair of grey tinted raybans (brown may work, but icant vouch for them) you can borrow for an hour or so. Dont ask me the science, as i'm no optical technician. This may work with other glasses, but i dont know.
mikeossy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most common 'Blank spot' is just behind the rearview mirror, the coating us usually cut out as such around this as its 'bonded' to the screens now, and has to be removed before fitting a new replacement windscreen if yours got broken smashed etc etc.

Hope that helps.
mac_the_dog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Peugeot 306 - with a similar windscreen. I have positioned my Mitac in the bottom right corner of the screen, and find that the integeral GPS receiver works fine.

This is also a really convinient postion for the driver.
hookiestreet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a mitac mio 168 with tom tom 3 and i drive a citroen xsara picasso. my car is a y reg and it does not have an athermic heated windshield which i understand blocks the signal. i suggest you use an exterior mounted ariel as this does help signal strength anyway if you can.
Tom Tom Navigator 6
PDAir Aluminium Case
Medion MD PPC 150 Desktop Cradle

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: