Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - best GPS solution for XDAII & Acer Ferrari 3200 notebook
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

best GPS solution for XDAII & Acer Ferrari 3200 notebook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete69zx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: best GPS solution for XDAII & Acer Ferrari 3200 notebook Reply with quote

Hi all.
Firstly, please forgive my lack of knowledge about GPS related stuff (im new here, but willing to learn).

I am looking for an ideal GPS reciever solution to use both with my O2 XDA-II & Acer Ferrari 3200 notebook. Upon reading some of the reviews about CF/SD (sleves?) im still left baffled somewhat, Laughing Out Loud.

The GPS has to be firstly, cheap, reliable & suited to both applications.

Example... I would like the ability to use a GPS reciever with my O2 XDA-II taking as minimal space as possible, keeping the 'compact' design of a PDA.

Also, i would like to be able to use it in my notebook aswell... maybee for when travelling in the car, but also like the idea of possibly using the XDA-II instead / aswell.

Coz im new here, i dont know what is best suited to the various environments GPS recievers can be used in.

Basically, any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Software i already have is BKK map for my PDA (a map of Bangkok Thailand). Tom Tom (something or other) maps for PDA.

I know i shgould try and read more from this site, but i find some of it a little confussing still at the moment.

Many thanx Embarassed
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

The best would be to use a BlueTooth receiver, even if that means you would need to get a USB Bluetooth dongle for your notebook. Only Bluetooth can give you the freedom to position your PDA and notebook independently of the GPS antenna.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
pete69zx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the reply :-D

I'm fortunate enough for the notebook to have 'built-in' BlueTooth.

I'm just thinking about the BlueTooth GPS reciever options... arn't they larger than a CF / SD formfactor GPS reciever?

Example... would it be viable to have a BlueTooth GPS reciever in my pocket whilst walking around using the PDA for street level usage? (i hope you see where im comming from here).

I want to be able to use GPS whilst im out walking around or even driving in the car.

If you still think qa BlueTooth GPS reciever is best suited to my needs, care to reccomend any to me please?

Many thanx Idea
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , the BT receiver will work just fine in th pocket.

Don't ask me to recommend one - I am biased - I _love_ my DeLorme Blue Logger - but mostly because it has a storage memory for 50000 log points. Helps you to track your journeys even without the Pocket PC running.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
pete69zx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ ibendlin... thanx :-)
Woody61
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's of any use to you, I have an Xda2 and a Rikaline X7 bluetooth receiver, running CoPilot PocketPC5 software. The Xda2 sits in a holder fixed to the windscreen and the Rikaline (about the size of a small box of matches) is in the glove compartment. Or carry them in your pocket if your walking. The Xda2 and Rikaline work well together and the CoPilot is OK now that I've got the hang of it. Having spoken to friends, it seems that it takes time to get used to any navigation software! Have a look on www.gpsforless.co.uk and ring them with any questions ... they're very friendly and patient towards beginners!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: