Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buying a 2215 on ebay...?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying a 2215 on ebay...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatsisname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Buying a 2215 on ebay...? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Is there any problem with getting a new 2215 (the US equivalent of the 2210 I understand) from one of the US import companies on ebay?

Was wondering:

1. Are they exactly interchangeable with a UK version (bluetooth same frequency etc?) Would I need to load a UK ROM image or something?

2. Whether anyone has doen this and has run into any hidden costs (VAT added by Customs etc)

3. Whether HP UK will deal with any warranty claims on a 2215 import?

Any info greatly appreciated...

Best Regards,

w.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my iPAQ5555 is a US import, and a factory refurbished one at that. As I understand it the 0 or 5 at the end is nothing to do with a country-specific device; rather it shows whether the device comes in a plain brown box or a nice fancy box with pictures of the device on it, etcetera.

I think you may be confusing bluetooth with Wifi. At least, my 5555 and my (UK, I think) 3970 both connect to my Navman BT unit without any problems, but then again my 5555 also connects to my Linksys Wifi router just fine, too.

The company I got mine from advertised that they paid any VAT or import duty which might arise. I certainly didn't get a bill for either.

My 5555 did go wrong. I called HP who came and collected it, shipped it to Holland, fixed it and returned it with no trouble and no charge. The only thing is that I got a US mains supply unit, but since I got a UK one with my 3970, no problems there, either. I suspect that you could get one cheaply enough, anyway.

Oh, and as far as I know, there is no UK ROM image. Just make sure it's English.
whatsisname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info.

I take it from your avatar that you are a biker? :D

I am buying the 2210/2215 partly for use on my Bandit 1200, especially on European trips. I was looking at a Ram mount. Do you use your ipaq on the bike and if so do you have any tips?

w.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a biker, merely a bicycle rider. But I use a RAM U-Bolt mount with my iPAQ 3630, and it's the best thing since sliced bread. Extremely sturdy yet easy to adjust. There is plenty of room in the mount behind the iPAQ (with jacket) so I even managed to put a 4-pack of AA batteries in that space - they serve as emergency power supply just in case.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Baglux tank cover and map pocket whether I use my Garmin GPS V or my iPAQ/Navman sleeve combi. I don't fancy exposing my iPAQ to the elements and I think an aquapak might flap around a bit. I'm happy though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: