Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Questions on TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions on TomTom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Questions on TomTom Reply with quote

I have had tomtom for a short while, using a bluetooth GPS unit and an IPAQ rx3715. No problems with the hardware. However I have the following issues and wondering if anyone could help?

1. When I goto Navigate to, I select the area, then the street, then it asks for the postcode. I don't understand why it lists every postcode for the road you have entered. For example say I put Brighton for area, then Church Road. It will then list every postcode match for Church Road in the whole of the UK, even though it knows I want to goto Brighton? Is this the way it should work, and is there any way of changing it?

2) I have installed Checkpoint and the speed camera database. All the gatsos and cameras are on my maps, but I don't get any voice alert. I have turned them on and said 45 degree angles. Does it only warn you if you are over the speed limit?

3) Is there anyway it can tell you you are going too fast, say if you are doing 40mph in a 30 limit etc.

Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.
carbon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thekingster

I'll try to help you with the checkpoint question (I'm rather new to this myself), you have to select your own wav files for use as alerts. You should be also getting a visual indication for gatso's etc, if not make sure you are starting checkpoint first as TT doesn't start checkpoint. Alerts are given regardless of speed

iPAQ 2210: Kingston 512MB SD Card, Holux GR211
TTNav 3.07, GPS Driver 3.07, CheckPOInt 2.0.2.0
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

1 - That list is showing you all matching street names in the administrative area (county etc) of the town you entered. Provided that you have TomTom 3.03 or later, the streets are sorted from nearest to furthest from the town you entered, so the one you want is normally top of the list. This is how it works, and there's no way to change it. If you want the full history on this - and why it's much better than it was! - see the sticky topic at the top of this forum about an open letter to TomTom re address lookup.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thekingster,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

1. What version of TTNav are you using? I’m using 3.07T and when I type in Brighton, it comes up with Brighton (Brighton and Hove). When I type in Church Road, TomTom only comes up with two Church Roads: BN3 3 and BN41 1. The older versions of TomTom Navigator 3 had poor address look-up.

2. Carbon is correct, you need .WAV files for CheckPOInt to play as an audio alert.

3. It depends on which camera database that you are using. Currently the PocketGPSWorld databases don’t have enough cameras with known speed limits so they are all in one file – however some of the GATSOs will have @30, @40, etc. The @ shows the known speed limit. When the majority of our cameras have a known speed limit recorded, we will probably split the cameras into separate speed limits. So yes you can use CheckPOInt and GPSAssist to only warn you if you are over the recorded speed limit for the cameras.

However, speed limits do change and I personally will always have my set-up warn me of cameras etc, in case the recorded speed limit is no longer the same as the actual speed limit.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
thekingster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies, I will check my version of TomTom when I get home. I think I may have an older one.

With point 2 I have setup wav files for cameras, they just simply aren't playing. I can see all the icons though.

I'll have a check of things when I get home, maybe I need to update.

Thanks again.
thekingster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I find out my TomTom version?
carbon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In map view you should have 'file' and tools 'available' as options(bottom left), select 'file' then select 'about' this will then display the version. I'm assuming all versions operate the same.

iPAQ 2210: Kingston 512MB SD Card, Holux GR211
TTNav 3.07, GPS Driver 3.07, CheckPOInt 2.0.2.0
thekingster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks.

I have version 3.01.
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should update to 3.07, then. Go to http://www.tomtom.com/support/support.php?ID=3 and choose 'Update October 2004 - TomTom Navigator 3.07' from the list of updates.
thekingster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, doing now...
thekingster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm Ok I did that, now I get "No maps found, please install and activate an original TomTom Navigator 3 map first."

I have tried the regfixes found on these forums, and also deleted and reinstalled the map. Still no joy.

Help please!
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody seems to have answered thekingster's third question, about having an audible warning if one exceeds a speed limit. You can do this with GPSAssist, which is an inexpensive add-on. You can preset a number of speeds, say 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 and configure it to give an audible alert every 5 seconds if you exceed that speed. You can toggle between the preset speeds using the hardware buttons on the PDA. I find setting it exactly on the limit is a bit of a pain - I have each one set a couple of mph above the limit and it serves as a useful warning if attention wanders
Robin
thekingster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, although I can't get into the app at the moment!!
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thekingster wrote:
hmm Ok I did that, now I get "No maps found, please install and activate an original TomTom Navigator 3 map first."!

Have you tried doing a soft reset? Just a thought...
thekingster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diplo wrote:
thekingster wrote:
hmm Ok I did that, now I get "No maps found, please install and activate an original TomTom Navigator 3 map first."!

Have you tried doing a soft reset? Just a thought...

yup

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: