Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rikaline GPS-6020 CF (Compact Flash) & TomTom GPS Drv v3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rikaline GPS-6020 CF (Compact Flash) & TomTom GPS Drv v3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
franticAxim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Rikaline GPS-6020 CF (Compact Flash) & TomTom GPS Drv v3 Reply with quote

Hi All,

TomTom 2 (GPS Drivers v3 recently downloaded and installed) and a Rikaline GPS-6020 CF Compact flash GPS unit.

Can anyone please tell me which driver and port I should select in TomTom 2 for the Compact Flash Rikaline GPS-6020 unit?

I have the following software installed on my PDA:-

TomTom 2
TomTom GPS V3.03 415/408

The only Rikaline driver listed is GPS-6010

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards
Claud.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should avoid using device specific settings. Instead, choose NMEA 4800 on pthe COM port that your CF card provides (most likely COM4)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
franticAxim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Rikaline GPS-6020 CF (Compact Flash) & TomTom GPS Drv v3 Reply with quote

Hi there,

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I have today plugged in my Rikaline GPS-6020 CF receiver into my Dell Axim, running TomTom2 software with latest v3.03 415/408 GPS drivers downloaded from TomTom.

I am getting no signal lock. I have the external antenna also plugged into the 6020, and out of the window!

I have had a look on Rikaline's website but there doesn't seem to be much in the line of using the 6020 with TomTom2. Does anyone use this configuration at all?

I have selected "NMEA 0183v2 4800" driver on the port specified by the CF receiver "Rikaline_Marketing Corp.2003C".

ANy information on the 6020 and tomtom configuration would be greatly appreciated, some useful links would also be good too!

Thanks.
Regards
Claud.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you use TomTom you should make sure the receiver plays good on its own. Either using a Rikaline test program (if they have any) or Crux_View.

Maybe the receiver is set to SiRF protocol, or to a different speed..

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
franticAxim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There,

I had a look at Crux_view but alas it is only for Bluetooth BTGPS and one other. The 6020 is a compact flash receiver.

The GPS drivers for TomTom though seem to do the same thing. It shows the signal strength of each band. (I think)

There isn't a comms problem as the communication indicator in TomTom GPS program is active, and it goes inactive when I change drivers from NMEA to say SiRF for instance. It is in the GPS status app where I do not get a satellite lock.

If you know of any other test programs I might be able to use it would be greatly appreciated. I had a look on Rikaline website, but they dont seem to have any test apps in their downloads section Sad

Thanks.
Claud.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crux_view can be used with any receiver, as long as it has a SiRF chipset.

If your TomTom GPS shows grey bars but they never turn red then you need to go outside and give the receiver a good stable sky view for at least 15 minutes.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
franticAxim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I am convinced... Where can I download a copy of crux_view for PPC V2002? Please? Have had a hunt round on the net and only can find references to crux_view, but nowhere to download from. I have managed to find a link to the PC version on this site in the forums, but alas no PPC.

Further info... I am getting no gray bars at all, the CF card device light is flashing, the Date and time is displaying on the GPS Status window, I have no longitude or latitude showing, and am getting zero satellites appearing in status. The communication bar is showing an active connection between GPS status and the CF receiver.

The CF receiver red light flashes about once per second, this indicates that the receiver is attempting to get a satellite lock!

Found this useful manual on Rikaline website, but not that much use...
Maybe it can tell you something that it is not telling me! Sad
http://www.rikaline.com/download/GPS-6020-Manual-E.pdf

I hope you can still help! I am really not having any joy with this!

Thanks
Claud.
franticAxim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

I downloaded a copy of crux_view for pocket pc, and this is what I got...

In "message" section i seem to get date/time data received from satellites but no positioning data at all. The data looks like this...

$GPGSV,1,1,00,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*79
$GPRMC,125328.5,V,0000.00000,N,00000.00000,E,,,281204,,*13
$GPVTG,,,,,,,,*52
$GPGGA,125329,5,0000.00000,N,00000.00000,E,0,00,,-00018,M,,,,*11
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*1E

And so on and so forth. (I may have missed a few commas, as I have typed this in (copied from message window)).

The Position window in crux_view gives me the following data (which coinsides with messag)
Latitude: 00^00'0.00" N
Longitude: 000^00'0.00" E
UTC Date: 2004/12/28
UTC Time: 10:03:22 (updating every second)

DOP & Speed
Fix: No
PDOP: 0.0
HDOP: 0.0
VDOP: 0.0
Speed: 0.00km/h (to be expected)
Course: 0.00deg
Altitude: -00018m

I have given the unit 45 mins+ of clear view of the sky

Is this common? any reasons, or ideas what is happening? Do you think that the GPS unit is faulty?

You help would be greatly appreciated.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your GPS is communicating, but hasn't got a fix.

I'd try leaving it with a clear view of the sky for a few hours - it may just sort itself out. If it doesn't, it's possible that your Pocket PC is radiating sufficient RF noise to swamp the GPS signals (that's not unknown - but it's a more common issue with cheap laptops), or the GPS receiver is faulty.

David
atpcz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have EXACTLY the same problem, with the same unit. i am using tomtom3.

you didn't happen to get the unit of ebay did you? i did, and have sent it back to the seller (nex_gensales), who kept telling me i had to use the software (which i didn't get!) to tell the gps it was in the UK (which i've never heard of before). the software he said, was called "gps viewer" which i had to hunt around and finally found.

this did nothing, and like you, the unit sat outside in a dell axim for over an hour and failed to aquire a single satellite.

i have tried tomtom with NMEA, the TomTom gps driver (which works btw with my other TFAC CF-30 gps unit) and like you, it just sits there.

the seller claims that it is not faulty and simply says that it needed to be set to UK. i asked him where this software is, and he says on the Rikaline website. needless to say i can't find any software for this unit...

the device is on its way back and should be with me tomorrow. i will try it again and then might go slightly mad...
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No GPS receiver needs to be told where in the world it is - eventually any GPS should decide that any stored positional data is garbage and it should start to acquire a fix from scratch by listening for all the satellites. A hint can help a 'confused' GPS, which software like TomTom Navigator 3 can supply to some GPSes via the "Reset GPS for this location" feature, but all that should do is speed up a fix.

If a GPS doesn't fix after, say, six hours with a clear view of the sky, it's faulty. I've explained some possible scenarios in this thread, such as excessive RF noise from a PDA overwhelming a CompactFlash GPS Receiver.

Unfortunately, Rikaline have an iffy reputation for quality, in that some of their products just seem to be bad, and if you buy from eBay, you may have a hard time getting anything done if the GPS turns out not to work properly.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: