Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 2004 PPC, i-mate PDA2k, No keyboard
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 2004 PPC, i-mate PDA2k, No keyboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
far182
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Navigator 2004 PPC, i-mate PDA2k, No keyboard Reply with quote

Hi there.

For some reason when I choose to navigate somewhere the keyboard doesn't display. I only see the previous Cities I have listed before. The pda2k has a slide out keyboard, so I can get around this... but this is a horrible work around because I need to use this in the car (needing to be cradled etc).

Also, (I used to use Navigator USA) I noticed that the "Navigate To" option is missing from the PPC contact application. Where did it go? This is an essential component for me (being able to navigate to anyone in my contacts).

Thank You
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of TTN2004. They have made some conscious decisions to remove functionality - to make the product more user friendly.

A quote from Murphy's law springs to mind "Design a system to be idiot proof, and only idiots will want to use it"

Navigate to Contacts is missing, as is Navigate to Lat/Lon, Itinerary, Shortest Route, permanent avoids etc etc.

For your keyboard - maybe they sense the hardware and decide since you have a fancy machine you must use the built in one. Other than that the preferences allow you to switch between large and small keyboard - does this make any difference on yours?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation with Navigator 2004 is sounding increasingly worrying. If what is apparently a rather feature reduced program becomes the replacement for TomTom Navigator 3 in Europe (which is, I believe, a far bigger market for TomTom than the USA), I wonder if they'll lose previously loyal users.

Certainly there's some features I use regularly in Navigator 3 amongst the those that have been mentioned as missing. I await your Navigator 2004 review with interest, Lutz.

"User friendliness" is not a valid reason for removing features. They can always switch off features unless you enable an Expert Mode. If this switch is accompanied by a suitable "nag screen" and there's an easy way to turn off the expert mode and all expert features, I don't see what the problem is.

David
far182
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Welcome to the world of TTN2004. They have made some conscious decisions to remove functionality - to make the product more user friendly.

A quote from Murphy's law springs to mind "Design a system to be idiot proof, and only idiots will want to use it"

Navigate to Contacts is missing, as is Navigate to Lat/Lon, Itinerary, Shortest Route, permanent avoids etc etc.

For your keyboard - maybe they sense the hardware and decide since you have a fancy machine you must use the built in one. Other than that the preferences allow you to switch between large and small keyboard - does this make any difference on yours?

Small/Large keyboard setting does nothing. This is silly, to navigate somewhere now I have to write down the address on paper and then start TomTom and use my KEYBOARD to type it in. Then start my car and drive there. aaaarrrrrggg!!!!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference bewteen large and small keyboard is indeed subtle. All that changes is the number of lines of text you see - two with large keyboard, and five with the small one.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: