Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom3 and Dell Axim X30
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom3 and Dell Axim X30

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: TomTom3 and Dell Axim X30 Reply with quote

I am considering buying my wife an X30 312 for christmas and was wondering if anyone is using one with TomTom3. This model only has 32mb RAM which worried me a little as I know TomTom can be quite memory intensive. She is only really interested in using it as a navigation device and for her diary. I know there is a registry hack for moving the program to the storage card, has anyone tried this with TomTom3 and does it work OK?? If this works then a simple solution would be a bigger SD card for her.

The other question is I have never installed any applications to memory card but would there be any problems running software like Pocket Informant froman SD card.

Best regards

Richard
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're really considering Pocket Informant, which is also a large memory footprint program, are you sure you want a 32MB machine?

There is an application available that moves the Pocket Informant DLLs out of RAM, but to move them to a storage card you need to be able to install them into main memory first.

A surprising amount of software has to go in main memory. I've installed my hx4700 with as much as possible in the 80MB iPAQ File Store, but I've still got around 27MBytes of software and files in main memory.

I've chosen to leave TomTom Navigator, GPS and the voice files in main memory - it means that I don't have to suffer the various problems of moving it elsewhere that are mentioned in the registry hack article. Pocket Informant, if you soft load a later version than the one in ROM, has to go in RAM too on the hx4700 (the DLL mover lands up hooking in the ROM Pocket Informant 5.04 DLLs if you try to use it on this hardware).

Anything with a Today Screen plugin, anything that uses system notifications (like Sprite Backup and Pocket Informant), any drivers (for keyboards, network cards and so on) or driver updates, any Soft Input Panels (like Fitaly), certain other software that just isn't reliable or doesn't work in other than main memory (like Pocket Mechanic and Microsoft Reader), anything you want to synchronise via ActiveSync's Files facility, your email and PIM databases and anything stored using Windows CE's database facilitiesl have to go in main memory. Everything else can go on a storage card or in non-volatile storage.

My setup is fairly comfortable on a 64MB RAM machine, but would struggle on a 32MB RAM machine. Pocket Informant, Sprite Backup and TomTom Navigator together can occupy a fair amount of memory.

David
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just purchased an X30 and TomTom Navigator from Dell direct so am hoping they work well together. One thing I did do though was to purchase the mid version with WiFi and BT, as this has 64Mb ROM and 64Mb RAM. Also I am led to believe that as the memory is faster than the traditional HP type the OS soes not have to be loaded in to RAM first, thus leaving a significant portion free.

My X30 arrives tonight, and I already have the software (arrived last week), so I will test and let you know what happens.

Gary
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guy's, I know pocket informant is a large program as I run it on my 5550, she is more interested in basically using the pda for navigation so it is more important that TomTom runs OK. If I can transfer all the program files to storage card then I can leave the main memory alone. It is just a case of whether TomTom will work OK from the storage card.

Regards

Richard
luxbear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom3 and Dell Axim X30 Reply with quote

My Dell Axim X30 with cabled GPS TT3 (upgraded to version 3.07) is a week old. The GPS worked for a couple of minutes and no more. I have uninstalled TT3, reinstalled it in main memory (the maps are on a 512 MB SD card), to no avail.

The TT3 program seems to be looking for COM port 1 because it tells me it does not exist. Under 'GPS', several ports are available, COM1, 2 and 3. Could anybody with a working X30 + TT3 check his / her machine and let me know which COM port his / her machine uses? Thanks a lot.

Secondly, a friendly Dell salesperson mailed and said the problem could be caused by my using the 'wrong' SD card (mine is SanDisk). How could that cause a problem as the program resides in main memory?

All help is appreciated.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On most machines with a serial port and wired GPS, the serial port is COM1:. Do you have anything else installed that may be using the serial port, like a driver for a plug in keyboard? If so, you'll need to disable the other software.

TomTom software works memory cards hard. Some Sandisk cards are troublesome on some devices - certain Dell PDAs and certain Sandisk SD cards have been a particularly troublesome combination. If you post the markings from the back of the SD card, that will tell me how troublesome your particular card might be. In particular, there should be a code consisting of eight (or possibly six) characters - such as AR0304LK.

If you have got a memory card issue, unfortunately the only answer is usually to change the memory card for a different one. However, I think you have potentially two separate problems - not being able to get your GPS working at all is unlikely to be a memory card problem. Only worry about a potential memory card problem when you've got your GPS working.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: