Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with Tom Tom 3 and O2's XDA IIs installation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with Tom Tom 3 and O2's XDA IIs installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WalterRooner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Problems with Tom Tom 3 and O2's XDA IIs installation Reply with quote

I am a new-guy to this, got a new O2 XDA IIs and have installed Tom Tom 3 on it (with a wired sat receiver).
Software looks to to be installalled OK but when I plug in the receiver to use it in anger, it comes up with 'unable to find GPRS'.
I have driven round the block a few times (ie I haven't tried to use it in my cellar!)
Tom Tom 3 comes with very little advice re the installation - because (I assume) it is foolproof.
Here's some evidence that it's not.
Can anyone help this fool?
Walter Rooner
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to open the GPS control applet (Start > Settings > System > GPS) and set the port to COM1 and the speed to 4800. Then check the box, go to the first tab and see if the black ddts are running. If they are, all is well and you will eventually get a GPS fix. If not, something may be blocking the COM port - a clip-on keyboard maybe?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
WalterRooner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
You will have to open the GPS control applet (Start > Settings > System > GPS) and set the port to COM1 and the speed to 4800. Then check the box, go to the first tab and see if the black ddts are running. If they are, all is well and you will eventually get a GPS fix. If not, something may be blocking the COM port - a clip-on keyboard maybe?

Thanks.
I go to Start - Settings - it's not in 'System'. The GPRS setting icon is in 'Connections'. I go to that and it asks me to select GPRS authentication (pre-set at PAP authentication) the other option is CHAP authentication. There is another tab for GPRS setting which invites me to select Class 8(4R1T) or Class 10(2R2T)pre-set at Class 10.
I don't know where the Com1 option is !
Thanks
gpssparky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be some confusion here between GPS and GPRS.

GPRS is the XDA's connection to the internet and is not relevant unless using Tomtom traffic. So ignore the GPRS bit.

You will need the latest version of Navigator and Tomtom GPS from the tomtom website.

I have tomtom navigator and traffic working on my MDAIII (tmobile's version of the XDA IIs) so it is possible.
Smile

-----------
Tomtom Go 540 Live - That's it.
WalterRooner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have now downloaded latest Tom Tom Nav and the GPS icon is now where it should be although it comes up with error 'cannot open Com1. Port does not exist'.
?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, someone will need to confirm that the XDA IIs indeed has a COM port, and if it is maybe COM2 . Worst case you may have to get a BT GPS receiver...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
WalterRooner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WalterRooner wrote:
Thanks. I have now downloaded latest Tom Tom Nav and the GPS icon is now where it should be although it comes up with error 'cannot open Com1. Port does not exist'.
?

Just been outside in the car to try it again(It's getting a bit cold up here in North Englan): The options I have in GPS are two windows at the top of the screen one set for 'Tom Tom Navigator GPS' and the window below to identify the connection:

Options are:
Infrared Port
Com 9
Serial cable on Com 1
Internal Modem
BT UART#Serial on USB
Bluetooth Serial Port COM 6
Bluetooth Serial Port Com5

If I try selecting the serial cable on Com 1 - an error comes Com 1 Port does not exist.
I know it's not the bluetooth options. Which of the others should I try?
WalterRooner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Well, someone will need to confirm that the XDA IIs indeed has a COM port, and if it is maybe COM2 . Worst case you may have to get a BT GPS receiver...

Thanks.
Just found this on the O2 web site

"I have just installed the wired version of Tom Tom Navigator on my Xda and I get a "Com 1 does not exist" error message. How do I fix this?

A12 The solution is to turn off anything that uses Com 1 on the Xda. The IrDA Beam option uses Com 1. To turn this off go to Start > Settings > Connections tab > Beam > untick "receive incoming beams". The foldable keyboard accessory uses Com 1. To turn this off go to Start > Keyboard > untick the "Enable" option."

I have tunred off the IrDA Beam and the error has gone away.
Will try it out now.
Thanks for all your help Texas and Coventry.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WalterRooner wrote:
WalterRooner wrote:
?

Just been outside in the car to try it again(It's getting a bit cold up here in North Englan): The options I have in GPS are two windows at the top of the screen one set for 'Tom Tom Navigator GPS' and the window below to identify the connection:

Options are:
Infrared Port
Com 9
Serial cable on Com 1
Internal Modem
BT UART#Serial on USB
Bluetooth Serial Port COM 6
Bluetooth Serial Port Com5

If I try selecting the serial cable on Com 1 - an error comes Com 1 Port does not exist.
I know it's not the bluetooth options. Which of the others should I try?

If Com 1 comes up as selection, it does exist. It is just occupied by something else so you cannot select it.
This symptom is notorious with original XDA, and as you have found out this in your last post, it is the IR Beam that is the culprit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: