Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - General help (Newbie)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

General help (Newbie)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigswede
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: General help (Newbie) Reply with quote

Hi you guys !

Bear with, I'm a real newbie...
I have some general questions regarding GPS/PDA solutions.

1. To run software like TomTom/Navigon/Navigator... what kind of CPU speed do I need (running PocketPC 2003SE). Will 200-400Mhz be sufficient or will I benefit from a HX4700 with 624Mhz CPU ?

2. Will I notice any difference if I buy slow CF/SD card or fast ones?
i.e is it worth spending money on a Lexar x80 card och will a standard card be enough ?

3. If price was not an option is the IPAQ HX4700 the "ideal" PDA for GPS usage, or do I benefit from buying some other PDA ? Perhaps with more RAM ?

4. I'm having a hard time understanding the concepts of the RAM/ROM and storage terms. I'm computer nerd so I know what the words mean Wink but what does it mean in the PDA world. Can I store applications on my CF/SD-card? Can I make the ROM available as RAM ?

I just want your opinion, not necessarily the absolute facts :D

Kind regards
BigSwede
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I am runing all programs on an iPAQ 6315 which has a 168 MHz processor... But yes, better processors normally mean smoother operation (and shorter battery life)

2) Yes, there is a noticeable difference, particularly for route calculation. Try to avoid SanDisk China SD's , and defragment your cards from time to time

3) The hx4700 has plenty of RAM... It's actually too good of a PDA to be used just for navigation...

4) RAM: gets wiped at a hard reset; ROM/Storage Cards: preserve their data at hard resets.. You cannot make ROM available as RAM but you can free up RAM by moving installed programs from RAM to ROM (think iPAQ File Store) or memory card.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
bigswede
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the swift reply !!!

Quote:
Yes, there is a noticeable difference, particularly for route calculation. Try to avoid SanDisk China SD's

...so I take that as the PDA's can handle and utilize the faster cards like Lexar high speed x80 and similar types of high speed cards ?

How do I defrag my card, is there a defrag software in the OS or do I need third party software ?

If the PDA supports both CF and SD cards, which should I choose ?

Regards
BigSwede
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, fast cards are not a problem.

You can defragment on the PC, on the Pocket PC (eg Softwinter StorageTools) , or you can simply move the data off the card and back on.

If you have both slots then CF cards are still more reliable, faster and cheaper.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: